How rare are real plesiosaurus jaws on the market ?

Brevicollis

Hello, I wanted to ask how rare are Plesiosaurus jaws on the market?

I've seen hundreds of real, fake, and composite Mosasaurus jaws from Morocco, but now I've seen a nice, big and real Plesiosaurus jaw with two teeth and no evidence of plaster. How rare is it to find a good one on the market? 

Thanks !

• Enjoyed 1

Are good signatures really that important ?

really rare...

lot of mounted parts on the market, but real one are rare

Edited by rocket
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, rocket said:

really rare...

lot of mounted parts on the market, but real one are rare

Yep, even hemi-jaws are only found about twice a year, I've been told. So getting access to a well-preserved and non-composite one is really rare.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Never seen even Moroccan one.

And in most other location, even teeth are scarce.

• I Agree 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

Incredibly rare. If I were you, I wouldn’t pass up this opportunity. Remember, if it is in person, use a poker face, they may not know the rarity.(Friendly advice.) Good luck if you do plan to get it.

• I found this Informative 1

Signature goes here.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all your answers ! I'll try to get it.

Edited by Brevicolis

I didnt got it. The price was OK at first, but in the last two minutes, 12 new bids came in and the price went from "nice and cheap" very fast to "too insanely expensive". Well, i'll have to find something else instead. Or i'll just save my money instead of spending all of it on one thing.

Are Eramisaurus teeth Common or are they some of the more rare Mosasaurus teeth ? Just wanted to ask.

Eremiasaurus teeth are quite common.

But id might be difficult, expecially with smaller teeth.

10 hours ago, Brevicolis said:

I didnt got it. The price was OK at first, but in the last two minutes, 12 new bids came in and the price went from "nice and cheap" very fast to "too insanely expensive". Well, i'll have to find something else instead. Or i'll just save my money instead of spending all of it on one thing.

Sorry to hear that.

Signature goes here.

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out, the Easter Bunny (my father) got it and gifted me it ! 

Now I have a Plesiosaurus jaw with 3 and 2/4 teeth in it, and I'm really happy.

A real, not composed, plesio jaw, whith no evidence of plaster, and some nice teeth.

@M3gal0don_M4n, look !

I like that you can see the inner construction and the teeth/roots and bone structure. 

Its about 20 cm in length.

image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg IMG_20240331_124625.jpg

IMG_20240331_124610.jpg IMG_20240331_124616.jpg

IMG_20240331_124607.jpg IMG_20240331_124649.jpg

IMG_20240331_124629.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

In 3th picture. Does it have carinae?

Posted (edited)

@North Yes, it has !

Is this a good or a bad sign ?

I was wondering about that too, but mosa teeth are not that long, and dont have a root that is long and thin, and curved i think ? Some of the Plesiosaurus teeth i found online show a similar Not toothed carina too. Can you maybe identify the species ? Or can @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon confirm that its really not mosa ?

Edited by Brevicolis

52 minutes ago, Brevicolis said:

Turns out, the easter bunny (my father) got it and gifted me it ! 

LOL!!!!

Better than Xmas! Congrats - to your father :dinothumb: .

• Thank You 1

1 minute ago, FranzBernhard said:

LOL!!!!

Better than Xmas! Congrats - to your father :dinothumb: .

I will say him that. But Xmas was also great for my collection. I got a 5 cm Sucho tooth, and a big Pholidophorus bechei.

5 minutes ago, Brevicolis said:

But Xmas was also great for my collection.

You are a lucky guy :) !

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Brevicolis said:

@North Yes, it has !

Is this a good or a bad sign ?

I was wondering about that too, but mosa teeth are not that long, and dont have a root that is long and thin, and curved i think ? Some of the Plesiosaurus teeth i found online show a similar Not toothed carina too. Can you maybe identify the species ?

As far I know, plesiosaur teeth lack carinae. Also those tend to be quite curvy.

Im not saying with certainity. But to me, this looks like crocodiliform (Dyrosaurus sp) jaw section.

But I would double check it.

Also if you have exact locality.

• I Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, North said:

As far I know, plesiosaur teeth lack carinae. Also those tend to be quite curvy.

Im not saying with certainity. But to me, this looks like crocodiliform (Dyrosaurus sp) jaw section.

But dont have Crocs long, hollow roots ? Or is Dyrosaurus different ? Because the roots on this thing are very thick. And If it turns out to be really Dyrosaurus sp., is it still rare ?

Edited by Brevicolis

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, North said:

Sidi Chenan, If that helps.

Edited by Brevicolis

15 minutes ago, Brevicolis said:

But dont have Crocs long, hollow roots ? Or is Dyrosaurus different ? Because the roots on this thing are very thick. And If it turns out to be really Dyrosaurus sp., is it still rare ?

Would you be able to take good picture of the root?

In that location Zarafasaura oceanis is only described plesiosaur far as I know.

But Pachy might know more about the topic than I do.

Just now, North said:

Would you be able to take good picture of the root?

In that location Zarafasaura oceanis is only described plesiosaur far as I know.

But Pachy might know more about the topic than I do.

I'll do that tomorrow, when im back Home and i can use my good camera. Migth be a positional tooth ?

nice jaw, I am unsure what it is, more croc

Great Easter-Gift!

• Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, North said:

Yup, these teeth have carinae, which plesiosaurs don't have. So the teeth, for one, clearly aren't plesiosaurian. And while the teeth appear to be fitted to the jaw, the jaw isn't plesiosaurian either, with the bulbous structures observed being crocodilian rather than either plesiosaurian or mosasaur. The root on the tooth visible in the last photograph also points in this direction, as mosasaur teeth have a bulbous part just below the neck of the crown. Dyrosaurid crocodile therefore seems like a reasonable suggestion...

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

38 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Yup, these teeth have carinae, which plesiosaurs don't have. So the teeth, for one, clearly aren't plesiosaurian. And while the teeth appear to be fitted to the jaw, the jaw isn't plesiosaurian either, with the bulbous structures observed being crocodilian rather than either plesiosaurian or mosasaur. The root on the tooth visible in the last photograph also points in this direction, as mosasaur teeth have a bulbous part just below the neck of the crown. Dyrosaurid crocodile therefore seems like a reasonable suggestion...

Is Dyrosaurus quite common or more rare ? 

I just want to know how rare it is in the end.

11 minutes ago, Brevicolis said:

Is Dyrosaurus quite common or more rare ? 

I just want to know how rare it is in the end.

In general, jaws aren't all that common, as animals only have one set of them. At the same time, crocodile jaws - while less common than those of mosasaurs for the sheer number of species and individuals present, as well of size of exposure searched - are a lot more common than plesiosaur jaws.

• I Agree 1