Orgin....Provenance....Documentation. Im clueless on where to even start.

Tisha Swink-Seider

Looking for guidelines, information, steps, the process....anything really concerning how to get provenance/the origin for a fossil. 

This fossil was found on my family's estate by my husband. He's a dedicated and passionate rock hound but not certified in the field.  I can tell you everything about the location, the find, and the excavation. I can tell you lots of different information and even some research BUT just my word isn't cutting the mustard so to speak .

Any guidance on how to do this is VERY much appreciated. 

Well, you obviously have the exact location. Now all you actually need to do is to determine the stratigraphy and the formation where it was found. This encompasses a bit of research, but it's not all that complicated. All you need is a good geological map of the area to pinpoint the find and then name the given local Formation, geological Period, Epoch, Stage and Zone where it was found. Of course, the more information one is able to give the better, but it would also be enough to at least name the Formation and Period.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Tisha Swink-Seider said:

Looking for guidelines, information, steps, the process....anything really concerning how to get provenance/the orgin for a fossil. 

This fossil was found on my family's estate by my husband. He's a dedicated and passionate rock hound but not certified in the field.  I can tell you everything about the location, the find, and the excavation. I can tell you lots of different information and even some research BUT just my word isn't cutting the mustard so to speak when you're wanting to sell a item. (Via Auction). 

Any guidance on how to do this is VERY much appreciated. 

best is to post a pic of the fossil, so we can (perhaps) identify it and can better support with age and provenance

thanks

For the USA, ... I usually Google  "Geologic units in ________ County, (State)"  That tells you what formations are present, at what percentage of the surface, and the age of those formations.

The US Geologic Survey usually has good information about that. Geologic maps can enhance that information, especially quadrangle maps for the explicit county needed.

Conversely, taking the find to a museum and telling them where it was found can sometimes let the museum's people track down that information, and have them ID the "fossil" for you.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me