Othniel C. Marsh

Below are two Pleistocene mammal teeth from "river gravels" in Florida. I have to further information on their age or locality, unfortunately. The left was merely identified as a "mammal tooth", and I strongly suspect it is from Trichechus manatus, but I have very little experience with mammal dentition and as such thought it would be best to check with someone with greater expertise in the field first. The right tooth was identified as a "peccary tooth", but given the fact that a number of tayassuids were present in Pleistocene Florida I wondered if the tooth could be identified to a genus, or better yet a species level.
I will now take the liberty of "@ing in" a few people: @Harry Pristis and @Shellseeker

20240314_153452.thumb.jpg.65618d17c7468006baae3c30da755fb1.jpg

20240314_153634.thumb.jpg.eadcbb960e1b4b87c09f1bd62d4985b2.jpg

Thanks in advance for any proposed ID's
Othniel

It would be much easier to identify your two teeth if each one was individual and up close, along with much better lighting, taking pictures outdoors with natural lighting can help with this. The left fossil is possibly tapir, as for the second I can't make out much detail.

Manatee is not a strong suit because I do not find them..  #1 looks a little like dugong..

#2 is is modern pig or peccary... HARD to differentiate...

This is peccary

image.thumb.jpeg.7b3b72b0149e6011ba26be695c3ae1fb.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Cropped and brightened:

20240314_153452.jpg.7b7699083718e3d35f9f1429711ff335.jpg

20240314_153634.jpg.f305e1e1072c0d57b637c06dd4310636.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The left looks similar to some unworn manatee teeth I’ve seen. The right, with its 4ish cusp and wear build, does look more peccary than pig. That’s just my opinion and mammals are not my strongest subject. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SawTooth said:

It would be much easier to identify your two teeth if each one was individual and up close, along with much better lighting, taking pictures outdoors with natural lighting can help with this. The left fossil is possibly tapir, as for the second I can't make out much detail.

I did take them in natural light but it wasn't quite bright enough, hence I used flash as well.

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Manatee is not a strong suit because I do not find them..  #1 looks a little like dugong..

This is peccary

I'll have to do some more research on sirenian dentition, as I never considered Dugong. By peccary do you mean DicotylesPlatygonus or Mylohyus, @Shellseeker?

Edited by Othniel C. Marsh

I have never found Dicotyles,  I do not think it is in Florida's fossil record.   I have found exactly one Platygonus tooth.

2018Jan1stPlatygonus_bicalaratus.thumb.jpg.1ba5632a1ba335db74a6584724ab5fbb.jpg

I have found numerous modern wild pig teeth teeth and a few that I have managed to identify as Mylohyus.  They tend to be found in the Peace River, but are pretty rare even there.

M_elmorei.JPG.8b8cf9d017b9fa27732cd999f8a874b7.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I have never found Dicotyles,  I do not think it is in Florida's fossil record.

Dicotyles is in fact represented in Florida's fossil record, but the only documented material was discovered quite recently, in 2009, and therefore it is safe to assume Dicotyles is very rare in Florida. Here's a paper on the matter:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257618845_Collared_peccary_Mammalia_Artiodactyla_Tayassuidae_Pecari_from_the_late_Pleistocene_of_Florida

34 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I have found numerous modern wild pig teeth

Modern wild pig as in Sus scrofa or S. domesticus? I didn't know either were in Florida during the Pleistocene. The only extant porcines in Florida I know of are those introduced by Europeans in the 1500s.

Edited by Othniel C. Marsh

5 hours ago, Othniel C. Marsh said:

Dicotyles is in fact represented in Florida's fossil record, but the only documented material was discovered quite recently, in 2009, and therefore it is safe to assume Dicotyles is very rare in Florida. Here's a paper on the matter:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257618845_Collared_peccary_Mammalia_Artiodactyla_Tayassuidae_Pecari_from_the_late_Pleistocene_of_Florida

Modern wild pig as in Sus scrofa or S. domesticus? I didn't know either were in Florida during the Pleistocene. The only extant porcines in Florida I know of are those introduced by Europeans in the 1500s.

Thank you for the paper.  To my knowledge , I have not found Dicotyles teeth.

We have a huge number of wild pigs in Florida introduced by Europeans in the 1500s.  Some of them can get quite large and aggressive. I believe them to be Sus scrofa.  Obviously they die and contribute bones and teeth to the Peace River and every other place in Florida.  I think that their teeth are very similar to Mylohyus. 

I have, after licking the pig tooth, discovered that it is indeed a fossil, which removes any representatives of Sus from consideration given their very (geologically) recent arrival in Florida. Dicotyles also appears to be immensely rare in Florida, and therefore it is very unlikely my tooth is from one. This leaves only Platygonus and Mylohyus as potential candidates for the tayassuid tooth.

With regards to the sirenian tooth, what features lead you to identify it as Dugong as opposed to Trichechus, @Shellseeker?

1 hour ago, Othniel C. Marsh said:

I have, after licking the pig tooth, discovered that it is indeed a fossil, which removes any representatives of Sus from consideration given their very (geologically) recent arrival in Florida. 

Unfortunately, the lick test is not an accurate way to determine if something is a fossil...especially with teeth. 

• I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Is there a means by which fossil teeth can be distinguished from recent ones (preferably without damaging the specimen)?

7 hours ago, Othniel C. Marsh said:

I have, after licking the pig tooth, discovered that it is indeed a fossil, which removes any representatives of Sus from consideration given their very (geologically) recent arrival in Florida. Dicotyles also appears to be immensely rare in Florida, and therefore it is very unlikely my tooth is from one. This leaves only Platygonus and Mylohyus as potential candidates for the tayassuid tooth.

With regards to the sirenian tooth, what features lead you to identify it as Dugong as opposed to Trichechus, @Shellseeker?

Note the difference in my responses for the 2 teeth...

On 3/14/2024 at 1:25 PM, Shellseeker said:

On #2 is a Statement that your tooth is Pig or Peccary.... that is an identification.

The 1st sentence indicates that my identification of a Manatee tooth should be suspect,  but that of the fauna I do find yours looks most like a Dugong... That is a suggestion to look up dugong molars and determine if you think they are similar.  

Your tooth is very worn but is essentially a square molar without roots,  that has 4 humps,  now worn down. If you found a Dugong tooth from the same position (m1) down to the same amount , it might look very similar just based on the fact that both are Sirenians.

2023Nov8thDugongMolar.thumb.jpg.ed98644f5431dacd8d4d1ae4d5ab59a0.jpg

8 hours ago, Othniel C. Marsh said:

I have, after licking the pig tooth, discovered that it is indeed a fossil,

As Fin Lover stated, this test has no bearing on whether a tooth is a fossil.  Unfortunately, many Internet sites still falsely promote it, although I'm sure they're well-meaning. 

At most, licking may help differentiate porous from non-porous material.  Porosity is a helpful factor in differentiating bone from rock. That's why some people suggesting licking things.

However, not every porous object is bone, and not every bone is a fossil.  Also, some rocks like limestone have a porous texture, which means they're not fossil, but they would seem like one if you're relying on the lick test.

Then, since most of a tooth is enamel, and enamel isn't really supposed to be porous--that's why the test would be even less useful for teeth.

On top of that, your tongue is really not much better than your eyes or fingers at determining whether an object is porous.  And looking at/touching the object are preferred because they don't involve the same level of exposure to harmful substances and infections that comes from licking items. 

Any items that come from rivers are prone to harboring harmful parasites, bacteria, and viruses.  Licking them is dangerous for those reasons.

7 hours ago, Othniel C. Marsh said:

Is there a means by which fossil teeth can be distinguished from recent ones (preferably without damaging the specimen)?

The only sure-fire way to confirm that a tooth is a fossil is to use its physical/visible characteristics to identify it to a species that is extinct in your area.  However, occasionally the coloring of the cementum and crenellations in the enamel may be clues that a tooth is relatively old.  

If your tooth lacks enough detail to confirm the ID visually, then shellseeker may have narrowed the ID down as far as it can be.

6 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Note the difference in my responses for the 2 teeth...

Apologies, I misinterpreted your original answer entirely. Your help is much appreciated.

12 hours ago, Fin Lover said:

Unfortunately, the lick test is not an accurate way to determine if something is a fossil...especially with teeth. 

5 hours ago, Brandy Cole said:

As Fin Lover stated, this test has no bearing on whether a tooth is a fossil.

I see. Thanks for informing me.

• Thank You 1