Possible snail-Lee Summit MO

p0edwards

Another piece I found in Lee Summit Missouri. I’m not really sure what to think of it other than it’s definitely something. It looks like a snail shell but has little crystals(calcite?) in it. Any information would be helpful

image.jpg

Could be a gastropod.

I think some matrix removal might be required to say anything more definitive.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think it's probably a gastropod shell. The way it's oriented and exposed does present a challenge to visualization though. 

23 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Could be a gastropod.

I think some matrix removal might be required to say anything more definitive.

Thank you! I do have to ask, what is matrix removal? (If you wouldn’t mind explaining)

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I think it's probably a gastropod shell. The way it's oriented and exposed does present a challenge to visualization though. 

Yes, unfortunately it’s not super easy to see it, my one question would be why does it look crystallized in the center of it. Do you know what causes that or what I can lookup for more info?

3 minutes ago, p0edwards said:

Thank you! I do have to ask, what is matrix removal? (If you wouldn’t mind explaining)

Preparing the fossil out of the matrix. This would require specialized tools and experience to do without damaging the fossils.

So, Fossil Preparation.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

27 minutes ago, p0edwards said:

Yes, unfortunately it’s not super easy to see it, my one question would be why does it look crystallized in the center of it. Do you know what causes that or what I can lookup for more info?

The shell would not have been completely filled with sediment when it was buried. Soluble minerals eventually precipitated these crystals in the void.  

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

The shell would not have been completely filled with sediment when it was buried. Soluble minerals eventually precipitated these crystals in the void.  

Wow that’s fascinating thanks for sharing! I’m just starting to get into fossils and love all this information 

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Preparing the fossil out of the matrix. This would require specialized tools and experience to do without damaging the fossils.

So, Fossil Preparation.

Thanks for letting me know, that sounds like a cool process

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

That image really matches well, from my reading that is a type of gastropod ehich adds up