Carboniferous Tooth Preservation Options

Lucid_Bot

Hello!

I have this iridescent Petalodus tooth that I would like to preserve. Firstly, it has a severe crack though the matrix (see pictures). Secondly, is there anything that I should do with the tooth itself? What are my options? I appreciate your help.

PXL_20240316_165124034~2.jpg

PXL_20240316_163933794.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20240316_164037108~2.jpg

PXL_20240316_164027913~2.jpg

Firstly, have you tended to the crack running through the rock at all? I would be afraid if it is as severe as you say, it could split in the future if not stabilized.

Regarding the tooth, I have used paraloid b72 on some teeth and trilobites. You can use a brush to paint it onto the fossil. I use paraloid b72 because it's reversible, and you can remove it if you want. I am not a big teeth guy though, so there may be a better solution you could use.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Collector9658 said:

Firstly, have you tended to the crack running through the rock at all? I would be afraid if it is as severe as you say, it could split in the future if not stabilized.

Regarding the tooth, I have used paraloid b72 on some teeth and trilobites. You can use a brush to paint it onto the fossil. I use paraloid b72 because it's reversible, and you can remove it if you want. I am not a big teeth guy though, so there may be a better solution you could use.

I have not tended to the crack. I guess I should glue it up? It's pretty remarkable that it's still in one piece.

Would the b72 take away its iridescence?

21 hours ago, Lucid_Bot said:

I have not tended to the crack. I guess I should glue it up? It's pretty remarkable that it's still in one piece.

If it is thin enough, It probably won't.  Worst case (if it does remove iridescence),  you can always remove the surface B72 with some acetone on a q-tip/cloth/etc.

Just my amateur experience

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

21 hours ago, Lucid_Bot said:

I would add some glue sparingly to some of the cracked areas. As far as iridescence being obscured, I'm not sure. Like the other Jay stated, probably not. It is always removable though.