Stormywx

The last item for show and tell today, where I show, and you guys educate me. I can't tell you how much your information is appreciated. I've learned so much about items I've had for years, as well as new additions that were bequeathed to me. It's really nice to know more about these items.

This item was found in a sand pit in the north Canadian River in eastern OKC. A rock crusher stopped working when this item got lodged in it. I realize there is not a lot here for identification, but you guys seem to be able to ferret out what things are from very little information. Hopefully the double row of teeth so close together will help. 

I received this from the owner of the quarry, and I am NOT the one that one that put the sealant on it. it's very dense, so there wasn't much reason to do that. Not sure why it was done. 

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

IMG_4289.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

That isnt a dinosaur tooth. This is a nicely preserved Mastodon tooth. Mastodon are known from Alaska, so it migth be a "Mammut americanum" tooth. But im not an expert whith the different species, If Mastodon has any. So lets hear what the experts have to say.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

Are good signatures really that important ?

4 minutes ago, Brevicolis said:

That isnt a dinosaur tooth. This is a nicely preserved Mastodon tooth. Mastodon are known from Alaska, so it migth be a "Mammut americanum" tooth. But im not an expert whith the different species, If Mastodon has any. So lets hear what the experts have to say.

That makes a lot more sense. I should know better than to rely on someone else's identification. Thanks for the help!

Mastodon.  They are rarer than Mammoth teeth, so nice fossil

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

19 minutes ago, Brevicolis said:

so it migth be a "Mammut americanum" tooth

I believe you are correct in this identification! Nice mastodon tooth!

NIce mastodon tooth. 

(By the way, does OKC mean Oklahoma City?)

4 hours ago, jpc said:

(By the way, does OKC mean Oklahoma City?)

Yes :Smiling:

Canadian_River_basin_map.png.42cb628712f310fc230b142465603b00.png

• I found this Informative 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

Sorry, yes it does. I got used to using airport identifiers in my storm chasing days. it slips out sometimes because OKC is way shorter than Oklahoma City!

• Enjoyed 1