How to start fossil hunting in the Balkans (Greece, Albania, Bulgaria etc.)

Kostas Pratis

Hello to everyone!

I'm a chemical engineering student in Greece who has paleontology and geology as a hobby. I see a lot of people abroad finding fossils and studying actual samples and I am looking for a way to start on my own someday. What is the best way to start? What are key fossil sites in the Balkans? Are there cases where it is ethical to take fossils for personal interest?

In Greece where I live (specifically Athens) there are Penteli and Pikermi with known fossil sites. Additionally, fossils have been found in several islands of the Aegean Pelagos. 

I have zero knowledge of fossil sites in other countries.

As far as ethics are concerned, I believe someone acquiring a fossil should communicate with a university that can collect data and improve its knowledge. A person on their own cannot easily conduct research, not only because of the tools and machines that might be needed but also because they don't have complete knowledge of the fossil record. Also, keeping a fossil for decoration should be done, in my opinion, if the fossil isn't needed to improve the fossil record or if the collector can keep the fossil after research goals have been achieved. 

I don't want to expand a lot on the subject. I'd love to hear other opinions on the subject and learn about finding fossils.

Topic moved to Questions & Answers

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

First order of business it finding out if it is even legal to collect fossils in your area. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with your part of the world when it comes to finding fossils, but I could at least suggest you peruse our European Fossil Sites topic and I'm sure you'll find a number of posts on the subject. And hopefully someone from your area will post something here.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/