Fossil identification

Huntwi

Hi everyone I’m very new to this and recently got two fossils that I’m hoping some of you may be able to help recognize. The first is a black bone found I believe in the ocean off Florida. I was told it was a deer humerus but looking at a modern deer humerus I’m not so sure. Could be deer just different bone? 

The other was one is the lower jaw bones of what I was told may be from a rabbit or rodent. Looking in a fossil book I’m thinking it’s possibly a beaver based on teeth. Old but not a fossil I’m thinking since it’s not stone? 

Regardless of what they are I think they’re pretty great so any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_7932.jpeg

IMG_7931.jpeg

IMG_7930.jpeg

IMG_7929.jpeg

IMG_7928.jpeg

IMG_7927.jpeg

IMG_7925.jpeg

IMG_7924.jpeg

IMG_7923.jpeg

IMG_7922.jpeg

IMG_7921.jpeg

IMG_7920.jpeg

IMG_7919.jpeg

image.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

whoever told you it was a humerus, best not to ask them to ID a bone next time.  This is a rib head.

The jaws are rodent, not rabbit.  

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

JPC I appreciate the ID I think you’re spot on it that the dark one is a rib head from further back on the deer. I think you’re right on the lower jaws being rodent and not rabbit too. Comparing molar and jaw line images I’m thinking it’s a beaver (largest North American rodent). Thanks again!!

three inches... beaver is a good guess.  To really ID rodents, you need to compare the patterns on the chewing surfaces of the teeth.  

• I found this Informative 1

Yes that’s what the patterns on the teeth look like. In an identification book it also talked about that sharp bone protrusion in the chin area and the orange front different colored back of the front teeth. When I got it I never would have guessed a beaver because it’s so small.