Marcinhio

Hello everyone, I have a question, what do you think about this mysterious space stone? is it a meteor? greetings to you

Messenger_creation_33f5ac40-9026-491e-bbda-24d85cab6c8f.jpeg

Messenger_creation_ba9f0a81-c513-4ab6-ab42-c3acadf6075b.jpeg

Messenger_creation_ba9f0a81-c513-4ab6-ab42-c3acadf6075b.jpeg

Messenger_creation_8b0762dc-4257-4f7b-9d73-2fa77dbceef5.jpeg

Messenger_creation_a11972d7-723a-4672-a6aa-a870c5f0fe12.jpeg

Messenger_creation_5d6f88e8-2d34-4ccd-a254-ad8ea29acdc7.jpeg

Messenger_creation_3cca606f-58fe-4185-baf0-3f5a4edcfe6c.jpeg

Messenger_creation_af053e44-3da9-460d-ac0a-238ff30435e4.jpeg

Messenger_creation_af053e44-3da9-460d-ac0a-238ff30435e4.jpeg

Messenger_creation_430ad402-0054-4626-b652-bad9bf381f4c.jpeg

if it is a space stone, then it is a meteorite.  Why do you call it a space stone.  And what do all the graphs mean?  Best to explain rather than confuse us.

Looks like you've produced several spectra from electron spectroscopy, from several areas on the stone (that's why they're different)? Ideally you want to cut/grind a window in the stone to avoid any oxide or surface contamination, which I don't see here, so these spectra may not be an accurate reflection of the composition. However, I see iron and nickel as significant components, which is promising. Visually, it also resembles an iron meteorite. Do you have more information, where was it found? 

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Hello The Physicist was found in Poland, Czestochowa area. Before in this area was found a Kuźnica meteoryt and also in old grave was found a bracelet made from meteorite (Raków 1 i Raków 2)

At >12% of chromium this is likely not a meteorite (the name for a meteor once it lands on Earth). It does have a large amount of iron and a bit of nickel but does not really match the general chemical composition of a meteorite. See here for a chemical reference for meteorites for comparison:

https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/items/metal-iron-nickel/

With the larger amount of chromium it might be a terrestrial mineral like Chromite:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromite

Wonder if those on the forum with more knowledge of (earthy) minerals might have a comment? @ynot

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

16 minutes ago, digit said:

At >12% of chromium this is likely not a meteorite

Good point, I don't see that much coming from surface contaminants? Thanks for the link.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

On 3/23/2024 at 10:02 PM, Marcinhio said:

Hello The Physicist was found in Poland, Czestochowa area. Before in this area was found a Kuźnica meteoryt and also in old grave was found a bracelet made from meteorite (Raków 1 i Raków 2)

Kuznica is a chondrite-type, the Rakow are Iron-niccel

could you please explain who took the sample for analyzing, was it taken at the surface of the stone or did someone drill a hole in it?

I do not really think it is a meteorite, but...

thanks for explaining