Invertebrate Paleontologist

Buffalopterus

I am a new member from New York State and have been referred to join Fossil Forum by a very good friend of mine who goes by Darktooth. I graduated from SUNY Fredonia in 1989 with an MS in the Geological Sciences. My research has focused on Middle Devonian paleontology and stratigraphy of the Finger Lakes region of New York State. Moreover I have conducted research in the taphonomy and paleoecology of Silurian eurypterids in New York and southwestern Ontario, Canada. Most recently, I have been digitizing the Devonian fossil and lithostratigraphic collections housed at the Paleontological Research Institution in Ithaca, NY. And most importantly, I am very active in field collecting, fossil preparation and giving presentations.

Selected Publications

• Mayer, S.M., Baird, G.C. and Brett, C.E. 1994. Correlation of facies divisions in the uppermost Ludlowville Formation (Givetian) across western and central New York State in Studies in Stratigraphy and Paleontology in honor of Donald W. Fisher. New York State Museum Bulletin 481, pp. 229-264.

• Mayer, S.M. 1994. Field studies of the Middle Devonian Ludlowville-Moscow sequence in the Genesee and Seneca Valleys, New York State in New York State Geological Association Field Trip Guidebook 66th Annual Meeting, University of Rochester, pp. 491-503.

• Mayer, S.M., Baird, G.C. and Brett, C.E. 2017. Depositional environments across a central trough of the northern Appalachian Basin, Deep Run Shale Member (Moscow Formation) of the Finger Lakes in New York State Geological Association 89th Annual Meeting Field Trip Guidebook, Alfred University, pp. 56-73.

• Mayer, S.M. 2019. Paleoecology and Taphonomy of some eurypterid-bearing horizons in the Finger Lakes region of New York State in New York State Geological Association 91st Annual Meeting Field Trip Guidebook, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, pp. A2-1-20.

• Mayer, S.M., and Brett, C.E. 2023. Symbiotic Relationships Among Benthic Invertebrates from the Ludlowville and Moscow Formations (Hamilton Group) in New York State: A Closer look at Faunal Interactions in New York State Geological Association 94th Annual Meeting Field Trip Guidebook, SUNY Brockport pp. 2-15.

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 3

Hello Stephen my Friend! Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum! I know that you will have much to contribute!

• Thank You 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Welcome to the forum!

• Thank You 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Welcome to the Forum from Connecticut! :)

Very glad to have you on board!

We get lots of cool things from the Middle Devonian posted here.  :)

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the forum.

• Thank You 1

Welcome.

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Warm welcome from Carboniferous ireland!

• Thank You 1

Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts. Happy to have you here.

:Welcome-crab:

• Thank You 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Welcome from the Carboniferous of NE Illinois.

• Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am new with this, so I hope everyone receives this message. I will definitely contribute but it will be in spurts as I find and prep my fossils. 

Looking forward to the community with similar interests whether its Cambrian to Pleistocene and everything in between.

Stephen

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2