Bone Valley Camelid Tooth

Othniel C. Marsh

Shown below is the tooth of a camelid, from the Miocene of the Bone Valley Member in Florida. It was sold as that of a Procamelus, but the Florida Museum page on the Palmetto Fauna doesn't list Procamelus as being present in it. The only camelids listed are PleiolamaHemiauchenia and Megatylopus. I personally believe the tooth to be from Hemiauchenia, but I have my doubts, particularly given the fact that I can't find much literature on the dentition of Pleiolama or Megatylopus for comparison online. The tooth also has an unusual ridge, as can be seen on the left in the first photo, which is a feature that doesn't appear to be present in the many Hemiauchenia specimens I can see, unless the ridge is a fragment of the most posterior projection of an M3.
It is my understanding that @Harry Pristis is something of an expert on Floridian mammals. What do you make of the tooth?
The tooth measures 2cm long (1.8cm if one disregards the projection of matrix on the right side of the tooth) and 2.4cm tall.

20240405_162729.thumb.jpg.2d0c3b269d93d9aaa29800a0c19d8cc4.jpg

20240405_162751.thumb.jpg.97ab4e83229abd8984e420b847d89095.jpg

20240405_162804.thumb.jpg.05009a2a5e74c8aebba0a20303fe60c1.jpg

Thanks in advance for any proposed ID's
Othniel

Edited by Othniel C. Marsh

4 hours ago, Othniel C. Marsh said:

Thanks in advance for any proposed ID's
Othniel

Well, we know it can't be Megatylopus because of the huge disparity in size.

I read, under the "CAMELIDAE" remarks on pp. 305 of the pub "Contributions In Honor of David P. Whistler" (not the actual looong title) that:

camelids.thumb.JPG.df9a994ca5fea93b0d5dbf50ff137246.JPG

It seems, based on abundance, that the best guess for your tooth is Pleiolama vera.  Just a guess.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

The tooth doesn't look much like those of Hemiauchenia, assuming the former is also a mandible instead of a maxillary tooth. Here's a jaw for comparison:

Fig7_Hemiaucheniamacrocephala-768x800.thumb.jpg.7216df8e3bfba71b5baddaa02493fe3b.jpg