Carch Tooth?

svcgoat

This came with a much larger Carch tooth that I purchased. It is also labeled Carchdontosaurus, however I'm not sure that's correct.

PXL_20240409_180246852.jpg

PXL_20240409_180255984.jpg

PXL_20240409_180303258.jpg

PXL_20240409_180310121.jpg

Looks like a carcharodontosaurid, but how far does the mesial carinae extend down? All carc teeth from the Kem Kem are Carcharodontosauridae indet. due to the presence of Sauroniops pachytholus, so as of right now, none of them can be definitively assigned to Carcharodontosaurus sp.

In both Carcharodontosaurus saharicus (Neotype) and Carcharodontosaurus iguidensis, the mesial carinae extend to the base, a condition seen in the derived Carcharodontosaurinae (Carcharodontosaurus + Giganotosaurini) clade.

So presumably, the various carc teeth that have short mesial carinae are not Carcharodontosaurus at the very least, but that could vary depending on potentially undescribed tooth positions. Doesn't mean it's Sauroniops by default either though since we don't have teeth known from it. Basal carcs like Neovenator and Acrocanthosaurus have mostly short mesials, but the teeth described from Eocarcharia have mesial extending to the base. Sauroniops has been found phylogenetically close to Eocarcharia last I checked, so everything is a bit messy trying to ID anything.

I'll check but I just wanted to confirm it wasn't one of the smaller theropods from the area

15 minutes ago, svcgoat said:

I'll check but I just wanted to confirm it wasn't one of the smaller theropods from the area

It's not an abelisaurid (cf. Rugops) if that was what you were worried about.

It is a carc of some kind.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for tagging me, but, I do not keep up with ID'ing all dino teeth from all over the world. 

I have a hard enough time ID'ing the ones from where I actually collect.   

• Enjoyed 1