Need Help Identifying Fossil

Guest greg m

Guest greg m

I am not sure if this forum is still active, but will give it a try. 

I found this fossil on the north shore of Nova Scotia. I have come across many tree fossils in the past, but I am not sure about this one. At first glance I thought fossilized corn? My next guess was possible seed cone from conifer tree? I have never seen any fossils like this before and was hoping someone could help solve this mystery. Note, on many of the lumps there is a tiny dark ring. I tried to get the best pictures I could on my old camera. I also added a picture of the reverse side, which also has some odd shapes in this very fine sediment rock. 

P4140252.JPG

P4140254.JPG

P4140264.JPG

P4140267.JPG

P4140256.JPG

P4140263.JPG

Hello and welcome to the forum from New York! I am sorry that I cannot help with an ID for this object. I have never seen anything like this before. Hopefully someone will be along that can perhaps shed some light as to what this is. What are the dimensions of this?

Dave

Edited by Darktooth

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

It may be a very, very worn crinoid calyx, but my level of certainty on that ID is low.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The arrangement has a lycopsid (spiraling the axis) look. Perhaps the distal end of a stigmaria with developing rootlets? 

Guest greg m

Thanks for the input. I have added a measure next to the fossil in question. This was found near the Joggins area in Nova Scotia.

P4150270.JPG

On 4/15/2024 at 7:53 PM, greg m said:

Thanks for the input. I have added a measure next to the fossil in question.

This was found near the Joggins area, in Nova Scotia.

P4150270.JPG

Did you get a permit to collect this?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Guest greg m

Are you the fossil police? Just joking. 

I collected this fossil over 30 years ago. I collected fossils since I was a kid, see a shiny nice rock, geode or fossil it was going home with me. The general rule that I was familiar with was it is ok to collect random beach rock/fossils but not permitted to excavate the fossil cliffs. Guess I won't be showing any more fossils here. 

Thanks for the help . 

24 minutes ago, greg m said:

I collected this fossil over 30 years ago. I collected fossils since I was a kid, see a shiny nice rock, geode or fossil it was going home with me. The general rule that I was familiar with was it is ok to collect random beach rock/fossils but not permitted to excavate the fossil cliffs. Guess I won't be showing any more fossils here. 

Thanks for the help . 

Nobody here is the Fossil Police. However we do try to follow any laws in place as not to ruin things for the future of our hobby. Not everyone is aware that certain countries have different laws pertaining to the collecting of fossils and we do try to make all members aware of said laws when the need arises.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

7 hours ago, greg m said:

Thanks for the help . 

Things were different 30 years ago. If you'd check out the above links, you will notice that you need to change your attitude.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Guest greg m

I just by chance thought I would join this forum and show a few old fossils I had from casual collecting years ago and maybe meet some new people, but as soon as I joined In am hit with the Fossil Gestapo. I know some forums can be weird and clicky places and appearently this one is no different. And yes I understand you take your hobby/profession very serious, but I just joined and find this a bit harsh introduction for someone you dont know. 

Cheers to those that did respond positivly. 

The admins can deleat my content and my membership, this is not a forum for me. 

@greg m, I'm sorry that we came across as harsh and clicky, as that was not the intention.  Tone and intent are always hard to interpret from written communication alone.  Add to that that many of our members are international (some speak other languages and use online translators), and it becomes even more difficult to accurately convey tone.  

As a science-based forum, not all of our members are as casual and touchy-feely as what you may find on social media sites, but we are not clicky and do welcome new members.  I think it was an unfortunate first interaction and that there was some miscommunication involved.  But, I'm sorry that you felt unwelcomed enough to want to leave already.  

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

As per his wishes, Greg is no longer a member.

We are sorry to see him go.

Topic now locked.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 locked this topic