Best resin for small casts?

Fullux

Howdy all,

Wanting to make a cast of a few smaller fossils in my collection. What type of resin is best for this and what is the process that is typically used?

You'll need something t make molds with as well, I imagine.  They make silicone putties which are pretty good for small projects. 

We use this.... 80331 from Sterling Supply Inc 

https://www.sterlingsupplyinc.com/casting-resin

You asked for the best...not sure if it is the best but it works well and I have used it for years.  

• Thank You 1

Your question is a lot more detailed than I think you are picturing, molding and casting is a pretty in-depth topic.  You have to consider the size and shape of the items, how you want to create the mold (2-piece, multi part, or cut-mold), the type of mold material (commonly latex, but there are other options), pour spouts, air vents, clay bedding, key cutouts for alignment.  The resin you pour is actually the smallest detail, and something that is decorative only doesnt matter that much.

I highly recommend you spend some time searching for how to make silicone molds.  There is hours of reading and critical thinking before you start. "Brick in the yard" youtube channel has a lot of great videos showing how to use different types of products and make differing types of casts.  I dont generally give a reply to "go look it up", but there really is a LOT more to discuss than is feasible in a message forum.  

• I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin