Fossil shell ID and help with geologic age

Mosasaurhunter

Hello, I’ve recently been to a kaolin exposure in west georgia USA, that contains fossil shells. I Collected some and I believe they are the shells of the genus turritella. Kaolin in georgia dates from the late Cretaceous to Eocene periods, and I don’t think kaolin preserves foraminifera, so the age can’t be determined exactly so I don’t know what age it is exactly but based on a geologic map of Georgia I looked at there was Cretaceous and minor paleocene, and Eocene deposits as well. I was hoping someone with southeast fossil knowledge could help me with what species my turritella shells are and they can hopefully help as index fossils for the geological age. Thanks in advance

IMG_9217.jpeg

IMG_9216.jpeg

IMG_9214.jpeg

IMG_9212.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If I had to guess, I would say they are from the Clinchfield Sand/Formation which is lowermost Upper Eocene.  Definitely Turritella and I might be able to correlate to species with a little research.  What county?

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

19 minutes ago, MikeR said:

If I had to guess, I would say they are from the Clinchfield Sand/Formation which is lowermost Upper Eocene.  Definitely Turritella and I might be able to correlate to species with a little research.  What county?

Mike

Macon county, on a dirt road near Ideal, GA

I would agree that they look Eocene to me also.  They look similar to a Turritella (middle) , Mesalia (right) and Scalina (left) if I were comparing them to Texas Eocene.

• I found this Informative 1