Wow!! This is the best ever new fossil news....IMHO! Fresh Update below!

SPrice

Posted (edited)

I was so engrossed in reading it that the back of my mind promptings were getting ignored every second. So here it is...

https://news.wttw.com/2024/05/06/field-museum-archaeopteryx-fossil-unveiled-backstory

I hope you like it as much as I do.  1,200 hours of prep time put in to date. 

Just look at the skull! The best of all 13 others found thus far. Zoom in on the teeth! Amazing! 

ArchSkullFieldMuseum.jpg

Edited by SPrice
Typo
  • I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 13
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, SPrice said:

I was so engrossed in reading it that the back of my mind promptings were getting ignored every second. So here it is...

https://news.wttw.com/2024/05/06/field-museum-archaeopteryx-fossil-unveiled-backstory

I hope you like it as much as I do.  1,200 hours of prep time put in to date. 

Just look at the skull! The best of all 13 others found thus far. Zoom in on the teeth! Amazing! 

ArchSkullFieldMuseum.jpg

What a great article!

Thanks for sharing! 

I loved that they got it CT scanned and someone is working on digitally prepping it too - segmentation as they call it in the article. This means telling the computer which parts or segments are rock, fossil or air! 

I found it interesting that it hadn’t been CT scanned before they bought it. I thought I’d like to know before I dropped a lot of cash, but then I might also snap it up before a scan if the price was right as in this case the price would definitely go up up up!!!

• I Agree 2

Posted (edited)

My guess is more than a few million changed hands.  They ( The Field peeps) say this is bigger than Sue. T-Rex is not a cheap fossil. I would even not be surprised @$20M  for the "Crushed Bird". 

That one video clip of the CT scan audio says something like " we not only have the claw but also the keratin" . That's unreal good news! 

Edited by SPrice
  • I Agree 2

I am beyond blown away. Very excited to see this in person.

• Enjoyed 1

this is a really incredible specimen, good that is will be shown now in a fantastic and great museum!

• I Agree 1

Fantastic! Even as a German resident, this is the first I've heard about this one.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Fantastic! Even as a German resident, this is the first I've heard about this one.

Me too...! I've seen a few Archeopteryx specimens in my time. But this one truly is one of the best I've seen so far! That skull is just unimaginable!

• I Agree 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Truly a superb prep job.  But did I read that right?  1200 hours!!!

RB

• I Agree 1

@RJB No, I think you can multiply by 100 !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Truly a superb prep job.  But did I read that right?  1200 hours!!!

That's what the article says...! Which is truly astounding...

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Yeah this was a long long job. When they were working on the skull, the entire hallway surrounding the prep lab was closed off to foot traffic to reduce vibrations that might affect preparation. 

This is a massively exciting specimen though. I remember how disappointed I was as a kid when I learned that I wouldn't get a chance to see Archaeopteryx unless I traveled to London or Germany. Now there are two in the US, and one here at the Field. This is like if the Chicago Art Institute suddenly acquired the Mona Lisa. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3
  • I Agree 2

• SPrice changed the title to Wow!! This is the best ever new fossil news....IMHO! Fresh Update below!

If you look at the claws, you can see where the bone ends and the keratin sheath begins. Phenomenal, isn't it?

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, jdp said:

If you look at the claws, you can see where the bone ends and the keratin sheath begins. Phenomenal, isn't it?

So incredible!

Screenshots of the video where the narrator points at the claw and also the claw cover of keratin.

Screenshot(71).thumb.png.156d102b524511ef712c8e63194a6c3f.png

Screenshot(72).thumb.png.3deb8e7c62f85bb0dd9d2b63dba19ff1.png

And you can just catch an Uber, bus, taxi or drive right over anytime to put eyes on it.  Lucky!

PS- and be the first with the Tee-Shirt! ... and/or the shot and pint glasses!

999914544789_adult_chicago_archaeopteryx_shirt_black.jpg?v=1714939012&width=1800

Edited by SPrice
  • Enjoyed 1

Got to see it tonight. Absolutely incredible!

IMG_5055.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

Thanks for sharing your visit with us!

Steve

1200 hours prep.... :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

but, what a result...

I have a great fossil from Solnhofen in prep, when I compare my result how it is at the moment and this I will take more time for it...

@SPriceThanks for the update

• Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, rocket said:

1200 hours prep.... :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

but, what a result...

I have a great fossil from Solnhofen in prep, when I compare my result how it is at the moment and this I will take more time for it...

@SPriceThanks for the update

In one article, I read that the prepping team picked their stopping point and decided to wait for technology to advance in hopes that something in the future would prep the feathers better than what current equipment could achieve.  I believe that they said even waiting 20 or more years. 

• I Agree 2