Show us your fossils collected in parts on different trips

Doctor Mud

1 hour ago, hadrosauridae said:

Thats when we saw that his pieces and my pieces were all from the same spine!  I know the missing tip is a fresh break, so its out there waiting somewhere.  We've looked more times, but never have found it.

I read your post over a few times picturing the events in my mind. I think it really ticks a lot of boxes for me when this sort of thing happens. A physical reminder that things can and do work out for us sometimes :thumbsu:

keep looking for that tip! 
you are just like me - gotta manage those expectations. Is that break fresh or eroded? Is there a chance? A sharp edge is good news!

• I Agree 1

@Balance and @Shellseeker collective find reminded me - in the finding of separate bits of the same fossil, there’s a way to up the enjoyment factor - if you and someone else find the bits, figure it out and bring them together! 

I’ve got a few of those. This one from the same day: a very large Inoceramus from a Late Cretaceous site. My friend found one half and I found the other. I’ll glue it back together and prep it. 

my boot (size 12) for scale.

58C3CA5B-2F34-4CAE-AF1D-578D3B52090C.thumb.jpeg.ffa3ddbfa4ad0ef90b4ca6d640f25a88.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Not only did I find this bear dog (amphicyonid) jaw on separate occasions, it appears that the two pieces were preserved under different circumstances.

2192composite.JPG.22292ff44705cd5c63d4cdc5f0ec02d4.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 8

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

5 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Not only did I find this bear dog (amphicyonid) jaw on separate occasions, it appears that the two pieces were preserved under different circumstances.

Wow! That is very peculiar. They have certainly had different journeys to you since the jaw broke. I wonder if the lighter one has spent time in an environment where the minerals were leached or sun-bleached while the other was protected like in clay or similar. 

• I Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Does this also count as found on different trips ?

Well, I bought this Copal when I was in 3rd grade, and was really happy with it, and the many inclusions. Then, my little brothers birthday came, and so did his guests. I wasnt home, but when I came back, I had noticed nothing. Untill a few weeks later, when I wanted to show my Copal to my grandma, and I couldnt find it. So I searched for it for weeks in my room, but I couldnt find it. A few months later, the mother of one of my little brothers guest's contacted us and told us, that her son told her because he felt guilty, that he sneaked into my room, searching for fossils because he really liked dinosaurs, and found my Copal and dropped it, so it broke into four pieces, and that he hid the pieces in my brothers room. So we searched nearly a week for them, and three of the four pieces have been found on different "search trips" and reglued. The fourth one however, which was just a couple milimeters big, got away, it probably was sucked into the vacuum cleaner, and will be never seen again.

IMG_0973.jpeg

IMG_0972.jpeg

Edited by Brevicollis
  • Enjoyed 3

I like fossils...

Thats all I have to say.

@Brevicollis Probably one of the most unique fossil hunt's I've heard on the forum :cool07:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

I already posted this one a while ago in my own thread, but i guess it fits right here.. Both pieces were found on the same spot by the shores of the river Schelde in Antwerp, Belgium.

Found this piece of Otodus angustidens on 2/10/2024..

IMG_20240225_085430.thumb.jpg.c50598d79d21ca6e3cb933b2182d7d7b.jpg

And this piece on 2/24/2024..

IMG_20240225_085504.thumb.jpg.1aa4a82079f378b0a517d2b6631a20fc.jpg

I actually only found out while checking the pics on my smartphone, cause i had the first piece stashed away already. Dug it back up and here's what happened..

IMG20240225085643.thumb.jpg.d5d64bc69702c4ef1c1ceac64930300f.jpg

IMG20240225085710.thumb.jpg.dc41a082cead29d9a878c039c526d36d.jpg

IMG20240225092843.thumb.jpg.4050f304dfef78fb68f597ad876c2a05.jpg

Great thread!

Dries 

• Enjoyed 5

8 hours ago, Brevicollis said:

Does this also count as found on different trips ?

I think it does and like @Jaybot said, one of the most unique fossil hunting trip reports on here! <_<

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dries85 said:

I already posted this one a while ago in my own thread, but i guess it fits right here.. Both pieces were found on the same spot by the shores of the river Schelde in Antwerp, Belgium.

Wow! I was looking at your thread the other day and was going to ask if you ever find matching bits. That’s a nice angustidens! Crazy bourlette. 

I often wonder with sites that might be heavily collected how many of us go home with these partials. With other collectors having matching bits. Except for on TFF or word of mouth how do we reunite them? Put a sign up at the site: “Lost…..other half of this tooth” or the local paper classifieds? :heartylaugh:

Edited by Doctor Mud
  • Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

@Doctor Mud sounds like you need to start the , “Missed Connections” fossil message board. 😂

”I saw you last week. You were just out of reach. This week you were gone. Looking for the other half of my existence”

Sleepless in Central Florida 

:default_clap2: Love it!

Posted (edited)

I didn't pick it up on a different trip, in fact I picked up both halves on the same day.
The curious thing, and that is why I put it in this post, is that I did not realize that it was the same specimen until long after processing all the material.
Several weeks later, reviewing the materials, the brilliant idea occurred to me that it could be a single specimen.DSCN2181-1.jpg.c441684b52e5e061456a1a46ebbc603e.jpg.29d2c9479d75c7a6ae953ac0579eee81.jpg.DSCN2182-1.jpg.9ddd700dc523a52a5aa5c751576670d4(1).jpg.31f0ecc9fc963140738ab7beb08063e8.jpg
And it turns out it was. Both halves matched perfectly and ended up being a spectacular example of reproduction by partition of solitary corals.

Edited by oyo
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

19 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Wow! I was looking at your thread the other day and was going to ask if you ever find matching bits. That’s a nice angustidens! Crazy bourlette. 

Well actually i'm still waiting for the other parts to these two..

IMG20240428223255.thumb.jpg.7f1b7a36640b98a53fbd36baa9c2389c.jpg

So far there's only one other person hunting 'my spot' and he always posts his finds on fb but i haven't seen them come by yet.. 🤞

Actually sometimes i think i find parts of the same specimen because i've picked up pretty much everything laying around there, but then another great find comes up and my worries seem to be unnecessary.. more pieces to be found..

IMG20240508124253.thumb.jpg.c4af6439a65cc90d49bfd9b21af4c635.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Really spectacular stories and specimens!

Once I found a little "add on" for a specimen that I had collected a year or so earlier; it's the bit that doesn't have a counter part.

image.jpeg.afc26c74eb6bbe944e20a6c880281f90.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Searching for green in the dark grey.