Josesaurus rex

Hello, this news has come out today in Chile, it is not about a new discovery, but it involves fossils as well. It caught my attention and I wanted to share it so that you are aware of this. 

The link is below, The page is in Spanish, I couldn't find the news in English :

https://www.monumentos.gob.cl/prensa/noticias/secretaria-tecnica-cmn-concreta-restitucion-piezas-paleontologicas-originarias

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Google has auto translate available on Chrome browser.

"These fossils, seized by inspectors from the National Customs Service of Chile and subsequently delivered to the Technical Secretariat of the Serpat National Monuments Council, were the subject of paleontological expertise for their identification. Once this stage was completed, the Foreign Ministry was informed in order to inform the Embassy of the Kingdom of Morocco in Chile about this situation. "

Judging by the pictures, these were all small, common, disassociated fossils.  Just adding to the confusion of international fossil sales and transport.  

• Thank You 2

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

That's what I thought, because I saw that they are fossils already prepared from Morocco and they are common and of great abundance. Otodus teeth are everywhere as far as I know. In the end I think it gets even more confusing as well 

Something similar must have happened with the fossils from Morocco in other customs offices in European countries or countries from North America for example?

I hope not 

11 minutes ago, Josesaurus rex said:

Something similar must have happened with the fossils from Morocco in other customs offices in European countries or countries from North America for example?

I hope not 

Not necessarily.   These type of actions are typically started by some mid-level bureaucrat trying to make a name for themselves for future political actions.   

• I Agree 1

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Not necessarily.   These type of actions are typically started by some mid-level bureaucrat trying to make a name for themselves for future political actions.   

Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if something like this happened in my country.  :shakehead: :BigSmile:

Edited by Josesaurus rex
Spelling correction

strange..., all these all are common fossils and millions of them are on the market, nothing of scientific or monetary worth :headscratch:

• I Agree 1

5 hours ago, rocket said:

extraño..., todos estos son fósiles comunes y millones de ellos están en el mercado, nada de valor científico o monetario :rasguño de cabeza:

yes, quite peculiar actually 

13 hours ago, rocket said:

strange..., all these all are common fossils and millions of them are on the market, nothing of scientific or monetary worth :headscratch:

It's just a farce to make a diplomatic show of respecting each other's natural and cultural heritage, and, indeed, just a way to make name for oneself as politician. The US has done this too, so this wouldn't be the first nor the last time a politician hopes to further their career by making an empty gesture 🤷🏻‍♂️

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

The display cases are quite nice, though.

• Enjoyed 2

On 5/17/2024 at 12:53 PM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

It's just a farce to make a diplomatic show of respecting each other's natural and cultural heritage, and, indeed, just a way to make name for oneself as politician. The US has done this too, so this wouldn't be the first nor the last time a politician hopes to further their career by making an empty gesture 🤷🏻‍♂️

yep, thats right.

We have had this thing with the Ubijarara last year...:shakehead:

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot send fossils of any type out of Morocco anymore.

A certificate for each fossil is required from the Ministry of Mines who are seemingly uncontactable.

Parcels I send are just returned to me.

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

A certificate for each fossil is required from the Ministry of Mines who are seemingly uncontactable.

Wow! That sounds like a mess...! :(

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

31 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Wow! That sounds like a mess...! :(

Yup, and I now have to give explanations for material coming into the country as well.

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2024 at 2:32 PM, rocket said:

yep, thats right.

We have had this thing with the Ubijarara last year...:shakehead:

What a pity, I will look for more information on this to know more

On 5/27/2024 at 6:58 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yup, and I now have to give explanations for material coming into the country as well.

So what's going on? Have the policies regarding fossils changed then? It's strange, really, even more so if they ask for explanations about the things that come in. I don't see much sense in them being so strict with the things that come in. It's really regrettable.

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 4:15 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Are you sure you attached the appropriate Dirham to your form? There must be some way the commercial groups are still exporting.

I wonder how many of the returned fossils were fakes.

Edited by JBkansas

Will trilobite manufacturing now have to be outsourced overseas? :zzzzscratchchin:

• Enjoyed 2

Context is critical.

7 minutes ago, Missourian said:

Will trilobite manufacturing now have to be outsourced overseas? :zzzzscratchchin:

Pretty sure the big players are still shipping (either friends or money in the right places). @Tidgy's Dad has been having trouble exporting for a while.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JBkansas said:

Pretty sure the big players are still shipping (either friends or money in the right places). @Tidgy's Dad has been having trouble exporting for a while.

Yeah, that sounds about right. At least I can still get another Fakeops sp. if I so desire.

• Enjoyed 2

Context is critical.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Missourian said:

Yeah, that sounds about right. At least I can still get another Fakeops sp. if I so desire.

And you can still get authentic Brazilian, Mongolian and Chinese fossils. The only thing these prohibitions do is drive the industry into the black market (away from museums, legitimate discovery and away from true conservation). But at least the pols got a photo op (and their cousins in the trade bureau can afford new houses).

Edited by JBkansas
  • I Agree 1

Surely some prices of important things will rise even more, as a result of all this. 

• I Agree 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Josesaurus rex said:

Surely some prices of important things will rise even more, as a result of all this. 

Doesn't seem like it has for other countries and Morocco has a massive amount of continued fossil exports. Might even drive down prices if collectors suspect that their fossils may be repossessed at some point to ship back to the origin country.

And attempting to resell your "important fossil" at a later date could bring federal police to your door (esp if the pols need another photo op). Seems like that would make it essentially worthless aside from sentimental value.

Edited by JBkansas
  • Thank You 1

On 5/27/2024 at 11:15 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

ou..., since when?