Unusual Preservation

Guest N.AL.hunter

Guest N.AL.hunter

We all have seen calcified (including limestone), silicified, agatized, pyrtized, opalized, carbonized, amberized (OK, not a real word) and so on... So what unusual preservation do you have in your collection? I ask this cause online I found a rolled trilobite that appeared to be preserved in malachite. My coon Creek fossils are un-altered shell material and they are from the Cretaceous (available in my Gallery)! Any weird items out there?

Edited by N.AL.hunter

Phosphatized! :)

In My Gallery

Here and Here.

Great topic, Del,

Thanks for starting it.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I dont know if this counts but it is stained by Chamosite....

Asteroceras stellare Frodingham Ironstone Scunthorpe Lincolnshire

post-1630-005776200 1287597734_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Years ago while working for the U of wyoming, I ofund a Paleocene leaf localtiy that had not the impressions or carbon imprints of leaves, but real three dimensional leaves that blew away as you peeled the rock open. I still have. I'll try to post pix in the next few days.

Years ago while working for the U of wyoming, I ofund a Paleocene leaf localtiy that had not the impressions or carbon imprints of leaves, but real three dimensional leaves that blew away as you peeled the rock open. I still have. I'll try to post pix in the next few days.

Wow that is truly amazing :o

I seem to remember back when I joined this site that there were some truly amazing Opalized bacculites that I think originated from Australia. Most amazing replacement I have ever seen.Anyone remember those pictures ????

I seem to remember back when I joined this site that there were some truly amazing Opalized bacculites that I think originated from Australia. Most amazing replacement I have ever seen.Anyone remember those pictures ????

The Lightning Ridge opalized fossils; just amazing!

>LINK TO L.R. OPAL & FOSSIL CENTER SITE<

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:) The most difficult strange preservation is a couple of mummified pieces from the Caloosa Shell Pit.Out of roughly 2 pick-up truck loads of trunks and tree limbs,I managed to preserve a piece of wood about the size of your thumb and 2 pine cones.As the wood dries it turns to dust,so your preservation tequnique has to begin with a wet specimen.Which still is iffy at best. :D Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

here is mine. Its a gastropod with most of its shell preserved as calcite. Its from the middle devonian period (ceder valley group(?)) and was found near robins, IA. This one of the rarest fossils i have in my colection and its the only one ive ever found. And what realy surprizes me is the fact that fine details near the opening were pereserved and that the calcite isn't crushed.

Also you can see my sad prep atemped. I was origenaly going to try to prep it, but i had second thoughts. I then disided that it would be best to hae a pro do it or wait till i get better equipment.

post-2572-008393000 1287681891_thumb.jpgpost-2572-050061400 1287681924_thumb.jpg

O and id love to get my fingers on one of those opal fossils.

-frozen

Very cool...I have some of the clams :)

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

From Lightning Ridge, and Opalized ????

Tell me it isn't true .. :D :D

Just opalized ones....

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Just opalized ones....

Ok, the cat just got curious...Or, curiosity just got the cat. Do you have some photo's handy of those bivalves ???

I was just at the KGMS show and some vendors had those ammonites where only the sutures are preserved (in pyrite)the rest is gone, so they look like hollow latticework. I should have bought one.

Ok, the cat just got curious...Or, curiosity just got the cat. Do you have some photo's handy of those bivalves ???

Check your email. :P

Well, dang... how come we can't all see the pix? I can count the fossil I have actually paid for on two hands, but I just bought a Lightning Ridge belemnite at the Denver show a month or so ago. I've loved opal since I first heard abot it in elementary school. When I was in Oz I went to Lightning Ridge and actually found a few pieces of opal in the scrap piles. And there is an opalized plesiosaur skeleton in one of the rock shops. But that shop is closed on Wednesdays and I was there only on Wednesday. Had to leave early the next morning to hitchhike into Sydney for a plane ride out of Oz.

Meanwhile here are a few photos of my scrap of Paleocene leaf. A genuine 50 million yr old leaf. One pictur eis of it up against thelight in the loiving room, the other is of it not backlit.

post-1450-030473400 1287724211_thumb.jpg

post-1450-038938900 1287724030_thumb.jpg

Totally amazing preservation. We took a paleobotanist there later and I htinkshedid good things with the few pieces we were able to find.

Edited by jpc

JPC,

Thanks for posting that leaf,... that IS amazing preservation! :D

Totally Cool!!:wub:

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

here is a link to a good pic of the clams

clams

Brock

EDIT: Link blocked by originating site.

Well, dang... how come we can't all see the pix? I can count the fossil I have actually paid for on two hands, but I just bought a Lightning Ridge belemnite at the Denver show a month or so ago. I've loved opal since I first heard abot it in elementary school. When I was in Oz I went to Lightning Ridge and actually found a few pieces of opal in the scrap piles. And there is an opalized plesiosaur skeleton in one of the rock shops. But that shop is closed on Wednesdays and I was there only on Wednesday. Had to leave early the next morning to hitchhike into Sydney for a plane ride out of Oz.

Meanwhile here are a few photos of my scrap of Paleocene leaf. A genuine 50 million yr old leaf. One pictur eis of it up against thelight in the loiving room, the other is of it not backlit.

post-1450-030473400 1287724211_thumb.jpg

post-1450-038938900 1287724030_thumb.jpg

Totally amazing preservation. We took a paleobotanist there later and I htinkshedid good things with the few pieces we were able to find.

Wow. That is truly, truly amazing. :o :o

In the Bertie Lagerstatte... eurypterids preserved in the Bertie Formation is so finely preserved that sometimes as you split the rock to exposed the eurypterid... the chitin from the little animal peels off like brown onion skin.... really amazing.

http://palaios.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/content/abstract/22/4/439

Edited by pleecan

I have a gastropod replaced by pink rhodochrosite. Fossils with dark green vivianite crystal clusters inside are cool too, as are the Florida bivalves filled with clear golden calcite crystals.

B

...here are a few photos of my scrap of Paleocene leaf. A genuine 50 million yr old leaf...

I wonder whether any bits of DNA are lurking in those leaves? Some was successfully extracted from leaves from the Miocene Clarkia, Idaho beds.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!