Unusual Preservation

Guest N.AL.hunter

Color pattern preserved on a Green River (Eocene) feather:

post-423-027539700 1288205231_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Color pattern preserved on a Green River (Eocene) feather:

post-423-027539700 1288205231_thumb.jpg

Auspex.... Thanks for reminding me.... Some colour pigmentation on an unidentified upper carb insect wing possibly cockroach...

post-1630-039284500 1288206074_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Auspex.... Thanks for reminding me.... Some colour pigmentation on an unidentified upper carb insect wing possibly cockroach...

post-1630-039284500 1288206074_thumb.jpg

WOW!!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is a xenacanth shark fin that preserves a polk a dot color pattern. Collected at Mazon Creek. I have been told it is the only known evidence of color patterns in xenacanth sharks.

post-1202-043045300 1288239460_thumb.jpg

post-1202-050723600 1288239553_thumb.jpg

This is a xenacanth shark fin that preserves a polk a dot color pattern. Collected at Mazon Creek. I have been told it is the only known evidence of color patterns in xenacanth sharks.

RCFossils - Now THAT is WAY COOL!!! :wub:

Steve, Auspex, JimB88, - Great photos as well! :DB) B) B)

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hey gang, mighty impressive stuff you all have there--super, especially the traces of color! Polk a dot preservation still kills me! Drool.

I think NAL hunter already mentioned malachite replacement....here's some malachite permineralized wood from near Interstate 40, north of Thoreau, New Mexico. I added a spritz of water to bring out the green color!

post-1240-011181200 1288555787_thumb.jpg

Undetermined age and species. Regards, Chris

Hi,

Getting back to substances, Baryt hasn't been mentioned yet. The "Steinhardter Erbsen"(literally: Peas from Steinhardt, a small town in Rheinland-Pfalz) are baryt concretions formed during the Oligocene containing plant substance like pine cones, leaves or branches which have also been metamorphosed into baryt. They're well known above and beyond the German borders as witnessed by the link to the Dutch Forum which I'm giving you.

http://english.fossiel.net/determinatie/identificationsearch.php?vindpl_id=229

Best wishes, Roger

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Years ago while working for the U of wyoming, I ofund a Paleocene leaf localtiy that had not the impressions or carbon imprints of leaves, but real three dimensional leaves that blew away as you peeled the rock open. I still have. I'll try to post pix in the next few days.

This I gotta see!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

Getting back to substances, Baryt hasn't been mentioned yet. The "Steinhardter Erbsen"(literally: Peas from Steinhardt, a small town in Rheinland-Pfalz) are baryt concretions formed during the Oligocene containing plant substance like pine cones, leaves or branches which have also been metamorphosed into baryt. They're well known above and beyond the German borders as witnessed by the link to the Dutch Forum which I'm giving you.

http://english.fossiel.net/determinatie/identificationsearch.php?vindpl_id=229

Best wishes, Roger

Haha, thanks for referring to my plant material *feels proud* :D

More info on them can be found here.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Haha, thanks for referring to my plant material *feels proud* :D

More info on them can be found here.

You're welcome. It was the best english link I could find. Thanks also for the other one!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/