Entries - November 2010 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

The Vertebrate finds have been incredible but sparse in recent months and snow is starting to cover all fossils in many parts of the world. Still, I think our members will show us what can be found by dedicated collectors. Take care out there. ;)

The objective is to have fun. So carefully read the rules below, and go make some great finds! Entries will be taken through November 30th. Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry.

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or the Preparation of your Fossil must have been

completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.

5. You must include the common or scientific name.

6. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

7. Play fair. No bought fossils.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month. The maximum entries allowed by the Polling software will be selected for each contest by the staff.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the Fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Within a few days, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month! Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Fully inflated 3D Devonian Phacops Trilobite in enrolled position, found Oct 30,2010; prep Nov 1,2010 with Ultrasonic Bath. Location in the Clay Pit at Hungry Hollow ON near Arkona... Hamilton Group.... Size is about 1/4". Note the finely detailed compound eyes. A bit weathered but still intact.

PL

post-2446-051158100 1289053062_thumb.jpg

post-2446-016540400 1289053072_thumb.jpg

post-2446-097150900 1289053081_thumb.jpg

post-2446-074294000 1289053090_thumb.jpg

post-2446-086465600 1289053100_thumb.jpg

post-2446-019147000 1289053112_thumb.jpg

post-2446-008766600 1289053125_thumb.jpg

post-2446-027985900 1289053141_thumb.jpg

Beautiful pictures that show incredible detail. Thanks

Please give us more information about the ultrasonic bath. I'm not familiar with that method. Is it only for cleaning off dirt and mud? or does it work on encrusted or items that are sometimes sandblasted? I wish there was a Prep section or topic where we could discuss and share prep methods. (or if there is, will someone plz direct me to it, thx)

Beautiful pictures that show incredible detail. Thanks

Please give us more information about the ultrasonic bath. I'm not familiar with that method. Is it only for cleaning off dirt and mud? or does it work on encrusted or items that are sometimes sandblasted? I wish there was a Prep section or topic where we could discuss and share prep methods. (or if there is, will someone plz direct me to it, thx)

Thanks IVIVI ... the pictures were taken with a Foveon type DSLR camera.... the camera as a very sharp Sigma EX 50mm with 1:1 macro setting set in full manual focus mode. The complete set up is mounted on a copy stand with Japan built focus rail system that allows precision micro movements in the vertical plane. A series of shots are taken at various heights .... I took more than 130 photos then electronically stacked the 2D images into 3D space to generate incredible sharp images. The fossils from Arkona are often entombed in clay (decomposed shale). When I remove a fossil from the field I often dig around the fossil remove a large chunk of clay as to minimize damage. The ultrasonic bath is a low powered unit used to process / clean jewlery... I pulse to unit .... the ultrasonic waves generates cavitation and impacts the clay particles to go into a suspension.... for every pluses I change the bath water... the ultrasonic cleaner can shatter a delicate fossil if left to long in the bath..... the pulse method is a lot safer to control dosing.....

PL

Edited by pleecan

amazing find PL! that is a great trilo and great preservation! :wub:

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

Peter.... Yikes lol... Its a stunner...

I dont find that many vert entries so heres a Part and Counterpart of a Palaeoxyris shark eggcase found 7th November with white clay (kaolinite) infill. It is often a good indicator that these nodules formed in a predominantly freshwater to brackish, rather than brackish to marine setting. ...Upper Carboniferous Duckmantian...

post-1630-051304300 1289382453_thumb.jpg

Additional closeup as requested...

post-1630-025589300 1289903988_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thanks Steve.... that is a neat looking egg case... sometimes if you look carefully .. there may be a embryo shark in some of these egg casing.... best of luck on your entry!

Peter

Terry dactyl-

That is way cool, but...

I must be a skeptic... so how does that get to be an egg case? I have seen many skate egg cases on the beaches in Massachusetts as a wee lad, and they look nothing like that. OK, I realize that there are many different sizes and shapes of shark/ray egg cases, but how do you identify one as a fossil? I'm not asking to be a wiseguy critic, but rather to get me some edumacation.

Hi,

I think like JPC. How do you recognize a shark or a skate egg case in this stone ? Eggs of current selachians is a subject which I know well. I have approximately one thousand current eggs at home, and this rock shows nothing resembling with that I know. Nevertheless, it is not the first time I see on the web this kind of article, and every time I ask me this question...

Eggs of selachians are made with a rotproof material, and my opinion is that one eggs fossil of selachian should more look like current eggs of selachians.

Terry, may we have a a close-up on one of the faces of your stone to see better the fossil?

Best regards

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

In "The Richardson's Guide to The Fossil Fauna of Mazon Creek," Palaeoxyris is listed in the Problematica chapter and has been assigned to both plants and animals. "The current opinion is that they are ancient chondrichthyan egg cases."

Looks like a Palaeoxyris to me. Nice find.

Tim

jpc & Coco.... rather than me try and go into specifics in a field I know very little about there was a scientific paper written to explain the early miss-identifications of the carboniferous shark eggcases outlining the species that have been found with supporting references to previous research papers carried out in this area... I'll be glad to forward you a copy of the paper when I can get to my own pc so you can have a read yourselves... maybe in the mean time you could pm me an email address for me to send it to you in PDF format...

Just an observation from just a 'fossil finders' perspective as I'm no expert in this field... there is no plant material whatsoever in the layer that these eggcases are found in with only the very scarce poorly preserved Cyclus... and an accompanying stone band of ripple beds .. This tells me that rather than a forested area where you would find plant remains, this was possibly a river channel or levee that was part of the vast river delta that covered our area during the upper carboniferous period...

I'll do a couple of closeup photos at the same time to show you the defining details/patternation on the fossil so you will be able to ID it yourself as a Palaeoxyris shark eggcase...

Peter & Tim... Thanks & goodluck...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hi Terry,

Email sent !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

well heres the best find so far......

name:triarthrus spinosus(pyritized)

loction:ottawa, ontario

formation:billings fm.

found 13 of november

prep was finnished the the 14 of november(half the trilo was under rock).

post-3994-077015600 1289739527_thumb.jpg

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

I haven't entered before but thought this echinoid cluster was rather interesting as very seldom can they be found without being pressure crushed. They were freed from their long Mid-Eocene resting place November 5th, 2010 which is the Tallahatta Formation of Alabama. They are Periachus Lyelli sub-species Pilus-Sinensis and one of possible three species of Periachus found in this creek. The larger example came loose during removal from the bank and was actually face down on the matrix but the front side is amazing with the reddish mineral deposits from the surrounding soil. Thanks for looking.--Tom

post-3940-028998400 1289753082_thumb.jpg

post-3940-044071500 1289753093_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

More close ups of associated echinoids.--Tom

post-3940-012262500 1289753438_thumb.jpg

post-3940-066590800 1289753444_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"