i also love the colour texture :wub:

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

well heres the best find so far......

name:triarthrus spinosus(pyritized)

loction:ottawa, ontario

formation:billings fm.

found 13 of november

prep was finnished the the 14 of november(half the trilo was under rock).

post-3994-077015600 1289739527_thumb.jpg

Hope you win! And I can take some credit for it too, remember I helped find it! ( sorry, I just love reminding you :P:P:P:P:P )

Hope you win! And I can take some credit for it too, remember I helped find it! ( sorry, I just love reminding you :P:P:P:P:P )

barely........you saw it second, and took it <_< ...

-Shamus

wow tom! beutiful echinoids! :wub:

i also love the colour texture :wub:

Thanks Shamus, it's amazing what you can do with an electric engraver, brushes and dental tools in the small places.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

im changing the picture........i think this ones a bit more sharp, and i scratched at it a bit with a dental pick and found the tail spine( the things you can do with a dental pic). ;)

post-3994-033709500 1289778855_thumb.jpg

-Shamus

I haven't entered before but thought this echinoid cluster was rather interesting as very seldom can they be found without being pressure crushed. They were freed from their long Mid-Eocene resting place November 5th, 2010 which is the Tallahatta Formation of Alabama. They are Periachus Lyelli sub-species Pilus-Sinensis and one of possible three species of Periachus found in this creek. The larger example came loose during removal from the bank and was actually face down on the matrix but the front side is amazing with the reddish mineral deposits from the surrounding soil. Thanks for looking.--Tom

Tom, here is a little more info on your sand dollars.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

im changing the picture........i think this ones a bit more sharp, and i scratched at it a bit with a dental pick and found the tail spine( the things you can do with a dental pic). ;)

post-3994-033709500 1289778855_thumb.jpg

Nice tail... what's all the little things up at the front of the head?

thats just a bit of shale that chipped off during prepping

-Shamus

Wow Shamus,

that is a really nice specimen of Triarthrus spinosus. Congratulations on the find and great job on the prep. That specimen has a really good chance this month. Good luck.

Dan

dan, peter.......thank you very much, i do think its the best i've ever found in the area, and the prepping was done with just a dental pic! im quit suprised how well it worked ^_^

-Shamus

I like trilobite and echinoids , is very difficult for voting B):D

vote for my trilo :P .......im just kidding, personally, i think mines gonna come last with all the great compotition ;)

-Shamus

Nice bug Shamus, do I see a bit of soft tissue pres. at 3 o'clock near and just above the crack. Looks like a couple gill legs, perhaps just scratch from the pic???? Anyway, very nice bug.

Edited by dhk

Nice bug Shamus, do I see a bit of soft tissue pres. at 3 o'clock near and just above the crack. Looks like a couple gill legs, perhaps just scratch from the pic???? Anyway, very nice bug.

im not sure, if it is...that would be an amazing find! :)

-Shamus

im not sure, if it is...that would be an amazing find! :)

wow! i think it actually bight be :D:o:)

:Bananasaur: :goodjob::drool::meg dance:

woohooo!this is amazing (my eyes just teared up)

then again theres like a 2% chance its not... :(

but it probably is! even though its like a 6th of an inch!

i knew this day wood come....

-Shamus

I haven't entered before but thought this echinoid cluster was rather interesting as very seldom can they be found without being pressure crushed. They were freed from their long Mid-Eocene resting place November 5th, 2010 which is the Tallahatta Formation of Alabama. They are Periachus Lyelli sub-species Pilus-Sinensis and one of possible three species of Periachus found in this creek. The larger example came loose during removal from the bank and was actually face down on the matrix but the front side is amazing with the reddish mineral deposits from the surrounding soil. Thanks for looking.--Tom

Absolutly love the echnoid plate! Im glad I didnt find any crinoids this month :) Im gonna waight till im totally going crazy from withdrawl to prep my last few :)

-CQ

Absolutly love the echnoid plate! Im glad I didnt find any crinoids this month :) Im gonna waight till im totally going crazy from withdrawl to prep my last few :)

-CQ

I'm sure everyone that entered is glad you didn't find anything this month as the quality of your crinoids are museum quality and speaking for myself wish that fossil exposure was closer to where I live but only white sand beaches, "O-Well". You always have such amazing crinoids and look forward to your next post.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

I'm sure everyone that entered is glad you didn't find anything this month as the quality of your crinoids are museum quality and speaking for myself wish that fossil exposure was closer to where I live but only white sand beaches, "O-Well". You always have such amazing crinoids and look forward to your next post.--Tom

lol Thanx :D Right now I would trade you for about 5 to 6 months lol

-CQ

I'm sitting here bored at home waiting for a guy to come fix stuff. Been waiting too long. I think I have actually checked out every thread on this forum. OK, many of them. I am hoping to have a vert entry this month. Or December.

meanwhile love the trilos....

My 2nd Entry:

Found Nov. 20/2010.

Here on my last fossil trip of the year to Ketttle Point ON ( 40min drive North west of Arkona on shores of L. Huron) ... I came across what I think is a very rare Upper Middle Devonian Plant on the shores of Lake Huron some 10' inland. The fossil is a carbon film on limestone matrix... the fossil has endured some wave action but is still intact .. measure approx 10 mm in length x 2mm wide.... delicate carbonized branched structures..... I have been hunting for a year in this area and this is my very first plant fossil from the Devonian Period Michigan Basin location... wave action from Lake Huron would certainly destroy this fossil if it were to winter on the shore line...... I am very fortunate to find this fossil.... snow is coming next week. I will also be posting this fossil in the ID section.

Peter

post-2446-048956100 1290385898_thumb.jpg

post-2446-018994200 1290386045_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan

wow peter! this is very nice plant material! but the best part is that is was found in ontario! :o

great find! :)

-Shamus

Thanks Shamus. Plant material from this area is not common... this could be one of my best finds this year....

Peter