Giant Crinoid Plate!

Ordovician_Odyssey

hey everyone,

i was just looking up pictures of complete crinoids and found this thing! :wacko:

http://www.gamineral.org/_pictures/t06-mf_co-op_big-c-plate.jpg

theres gotta be atleast 20 complete crinoids on it! biggect plate of crinoids i have ever seen!

but the question is, could a plate like this actually excist!? :blink:

-shamus

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

How about this slab? It is a Seirocrinus from Holzmaden / Germany. The slab ( a humble 100m², more than 1000 square feet) is on display in the "Urweltmuseum Holzmaden". Prep work lasted 18 years.

post-2081-058712900 1289136022_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately not in my collection

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

"so what do you do for a living?"

"well, i'm prepping a fossil crinoid plate."

"no, i mean what's your career? your job?"

"um, it's prepping a crinoid plate. been doing it for seventeen years now, probably be through before long and have to go job hunting..."

:unsure:

x-man, you gonna let those people get away with having a bigger project than yours?!1 we gotta find you a whale to prep!

How about this slab? It is a Seirocrinus from Holzmaden / Germany. The slab ( a humble 100m², more than 1000 square feet) is on display in the "Urweltmuseum Holzmaden". Prep work lasted 18 years.

Now that is one beauty of a crinoid slabs collection.... 18 yrs of prep time must have cost a small fortune in prep time... lets see now $25 an hr x 40hr per week x 52 weeks/yr x 18 years......

That is an amazing piece. Yeah 18 years to prep it!!!! Wow. Finding and exposing that thing most have been a "life threating" experience.

Crabfossilsteve

"so what do you do for a living?"

"well, i'm prepping a fossil crinoid plate."

"no, i mean what's your career? your job?"

"um, it's prepping a crinoid plate. been doing it for seventeen years now, probably be through before long and have to go job hunting..."

:unsure:

x-man, you gonna let those people get away with having a bigger project than yours?!1 we gotta find you a whale to prep!

After 18 years, want me to tell ya what'll happen? They'll take ya to the booby hatch. (modifyed cit.: John Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men)

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Back to trilobite guy's original question...

I htink these come form Morocco. I've seen smaller peices like this one, but that is a doozey. My bet is that it is real. Just a huge chuink out the same stuff.

If anyone knows anything different, please say so.

This is another giant crinoid plate in the National Geopark of Guanling Biota, China: A Traumatocrinus from the Triassic attached to driftwood. Sorry, the picture is not really good.

post-2081-038913200 1289205499_thumb.jpg

Yikes.... They are brilliant.... :)

Oilshale... is that a big chunk of wood running through the centre of the Holzmaden crinoid?

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Yikes.... They are brilliant.... :)

Oilshale... is that a big chunk of wood running through the centre of the Holzmaden crinoid?

Yes, they are attached to driftwood.

Some amazing pictures here, thanks a lot for those who posted them. I really need to visit Germany to see the museums!!

You are certainly welcome. Let me know when - I would be glad to arrange something.

Thomas

Guest N.AL.hunter

That is absolutely the most amazing fossil I have ever seen. To me that blows away full dinosaur mounts. I would buy a panoramic poster of that "slab". I wonder if there is one available?

That is absolutely the most amazing fossil I have ever seen. To me that blows away full dinosaur mounts. I would buy a panoramic poster of that "slab". I wonder if there is one available?

I agree. :drool::drool::drool::drool:

i will not lie, i just about feel out of my chair when i saw that thing.

And is that 18 years with just one person or 18 years with a team?

and i realy dont know if i realy would want to be a part of the prep and dedicate 18 years of my life for that slab when i could be find others........but kudos to them for being persistant. :goodjob:

Here are some impressions from the holzmaden quarries and the museum: http://www.urweltmus...pressionen.html

Sorry, the text is in German but the pictures ....

This part is in English. There is a museum shop where they offer Ammonites, several Ichthyosaurs, Crinoids (several small Seirocrinus on driftwood), a salt water crocodile (Steneosaurus) and even a Pterosaur (all originals - not molds!). No prices given. But be prepared to pay a lot!

http://www.urweltmuseum.de/website/index_eng.htm

http://www.urweltmuseum.de/website/shop/fossilien-eng.htm

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

hey everyone,

i was just looking up pictures of complete crinoids and found this thing! :wacko:

http://www.gamineral.org/_pictures/t06-mf_co-op_big-c-plate.jpg

theres gotta be atleast 20 complete crinoids on it! biggect plate of crinoids i have ever seen!

but the question is, could a plate like this actually excist!? :blink:

-shamus

I saw a plate like this for sale at a rock shop in the basement of Bally's in Las Vegas. It looked real enough and was from Morrocco, only a few K$. They told me it was a volcanic flow that covered the shallow sea floor that caused such clear preservation.

OK, who's that girl in my livingroom?