Giant Crinoid Plate!

Ordovician_Odyssey

• 2 months later...

I also have to say WOWWW... and like I said to Thomas, why is that thing not as famous as the dino skeletons and the Archeopteryx and the like?

Even the ones they have for sale on the museum website make me want to throw all my fossils away.

I also have to say WOWWW... and like I said to Thomas, why is that thing not as famous as the dino skeletons and the Archeopteryx and the like?

Even the ones they have for sale on the museum website make me want to throw all my fossils away.

Just imagine you would find this crinoid - would be a dream (or a nightmare?):

Of course you would only see a minute part of the slab, the rest would be covered by tons of rocks. Remember, the size of the slab is around 1000 square feet. I guess you would also have to hire guards.

Then you would have to get it out of the quarry. For sure in pieces - may be a couple of hundreds (or even more?). You would have to make a deal with the quarry owner.

How to get it to your place? Nice logistic problem, but can be solved with lots of money.

Rent a storehouse or better buy one. You will need it for quite a time.

Then at your place - how to put all the pieces together? Nice puzzle... better do not think about having holidays for a couple of years.

Start with prepping. It took a full time employee 18 years to finish it. So better give up your job. Hope you have enough savings...

Hopefully they won't take ya to the booby hatch before it's finished.

And when it's finished, better hide it somewhere and don't tell anybody, because someone will for sure file a lawsuit against you for illegally taking this fossil... At least the authorities of Baden-Württemberg will.

If you still want to throw your fossils away, just tell me where.. ;)

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Just imagine you would find this crinoid - would be a dream (or a nightmare?):

Of course you would only see a minute part of the slab, the rest would be covered by tons of rocks. Remember, the size of the slab is around 1000 square feet. I guess you would also have to hire guards.

Then you would have to get it out of the quarry. For sure in pieces - may be a couple of hundreds (or even more?). You would have to make a deal with the quarry owner.

How to get it to your place? Nice logistic problem, but can be solved with lots of money.

Rent a storehouse or better buy one. You will need it for quite a time.

Then at your place - how to put all the pieces together? Nice puzzle... better do not think about having holidays for a couple of years.

Start with prepping. It took a full time employee 18 years to finish it. So better give up your job. Hope you have enough savings...

Hopefully they won't take ya to the booby hatch before it's finished.

And when it's finished, better hide it somewhere and don't tell anybody, because someone will for sure file a lawsuit against you for illegally taking this fossil... At least the authorities of Baden-Württemberg will.

If you still want to throw your fossils away, just tell me where.. ;)

Thomas

I'd call it a dream to find such a thing, but I wouldn't expect to be able to own it or even do all the excavating and prepping by myself!

It looks like it was cut out in squares, at least around the periphery. With a team it wouldnt take that long to do... if it was anything like the Elasmosaur that was found on the Puntledge River here on Van' Island, they had a team that worked for a year or two(? maybe someone will correct me on that).. then it was prepped I think at the Tyrrell Museum and then it went into a museum back near where it was found. The discoverer(s) have been immortalized as such. Next best thing to owning it and saying you did all the work yourself!

I'd be happy with a single complete crinoid in my home, though, or even a multi-crinoid plate a meter or two square.. I'm sure I could find room for that ;)

I wonder how the mounted it on that wall, without any worry about earthquakes, I assume.

Eric

Wow! Puts my little crinoid pieces to shame. :blush:

Don in Ft. Myers, Florida

"Very interesting for an old duffer like me to try his hand at something new. If I don't do that once in a while, I might just turn into a fossil, you know!"

Norman Rockwell

• 6 months later...

hey everyone,

i was just looking up pictures of complete crinoids and found this thing! :wacko:

http://www.gamineral...big-c-plate.jpg

theres gotta be atleast 20 complete crinoids on it! biggect plate of crinoids i have ever seen!

but the question is, could a plate like this actually excist!? :blink:

-shamus

Yes it is real, it was (maybe still is) at display at Doc Fossils place in Tucson and was gotten out by him and his partner, Braheim. I have personally seen the slab, a real beauty. Now they get these out of quarries that are pretty small pits so they come out in pieces and they put them back together.

Here is their page on how they are quarried, and an example of another large one that comes out in pieces and what it looks like when prepped!

http://www.docfossil.com/crinoid.htm

Russ