The Collection

piranha

Here is an excellent assortment of plants I collected at a different locality of the Oligocene Little Butte Volcanic Series of north-central Oregon. Included in this group is a nice Ginkgo and Florissantia flower. The first photo is an amazing specimen with callus reaction from insect feeding traces. The final photo in this group is a fantastic 5.5" Tilia fossilensis, which is named for the type locality of Fossil, Oregon in the Bridge Creek Flora of the John Day Formation. All of these plant fossils are noteworthy as they are preserved in silicified chert. When the matrix is split it's a dark-purple color and turns white-grey after a few moments in the sun as the water content evaporates.

Oligocene Flora 41.jpg Oligocene Flora 45.jpg Oligocene Flora 40.jpg

Oligocene Flora 39.jpg Oligocene Flora 47.jpg Oligocene Flora 44.jpg

Oligocene Flora 38.jpg Oligocene Flora 42.jpg Tilia fossilensis.jpg

Scott, man those are beautiful...and a ginkgo will catch my eye everytime and cause me to tremor! Nice finds. Regards, Chris

Your collection is really inspiring. Absolutely amazing!! Thank you for sharing the photos.. it never gets old looking at them. My favorite are the trilobites. Love the glass display cases too by the way...those are exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks Chris and Megatooth!

Here is another nice batch of Oregon Oligocene plants. There are four different cones and a bean pod nicknamed: "The two peas in a pod" fossil. :P

Also included are the best Florissantia flowers and one that I prepped with a stereo microscope and hand tools. Although Florissantia is always a rare find, Hydrangea florissantia is almost non-existent by comparison. Previously I posted another clover-shaped fossil with the ID of Hydrangea sp., but Steve Manchester evaluated it at the Rice Museum Fossil Fest and corrected it as a Sequoia-type infructescence. Happily this four-leaf clover mimic is as lucky as its shape would suggest.

Sequoia affinis.jpg Oligocene Flora 15.jpg Alnus_carpinoides.jpg

Sequoia affinis                            Alnus carpinoides                       Alnus carpinoides

Oligocene Flora 21.jpg Keteleeria_rujadana.jpg Pinus_latahensis.jpg

Exbucklandia oregonensis         Keteleeria rujadana                    Pinus latahensis

Oligocene Flora 51.jpg Cladrastis oregonensis 1.jpg Cladrastis oregonensis 2.jpg

Alnus carpinoides                                        Cladrastis oregeonensis - legume pod

Florissantia 2.jpg Florissantia speirii 2.jpg Florissantia speirii 1.jpg

Florissantia speirii - before and after prep

Hydrangea florissantia 3.jpg Hydrangea florissantia 2.jpg Florissantia speirii - piranha.jpg

Hydrangea florissantia                                                                   Florissantia speirii - FOTY 2011

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Eric & Roger, Thanks!

Next up are all of my best algae specimens. These are scattered around in some other threads, but wanted to have them all together in one post. The first five examples are from the Order Phaeophyta (brown algae / kelp), middle-upper Miocene of the Monterey Formation, Santa Ynez Valley, California. The next two are Paleozoic examples and the last two pictured are my all-time favorites. Grypania spiralis is approximately two billion years old and represents a primitive lineage of eukaryotic organisms. This example is highly unusual having Grypania scattered all over the surface with the filaments raised in 3-D relief. If I had to choose between the last two, then the final example might win. It is a magnificent specimen of Cystoseirites partschii. This specimen showcases the articulated apical and basal regions and also preserves some of the reproductive structures (conceptacles and receptacles). The apical portion which is shed annually, also preserves 3D pneumatocysts (air vessicles) that are present during fertile periods to provide flotation for optimal photosynthetic exchange.

Julescraneia grandicornis.jpg Paleocystophora acuminata.jpg Paleocystophora plumosa.jpg

Julescraneia grandicornis            Paleocystophora acuminata    Paleocystophora plumosa

Paleohalidrys dendritica.jpg Phaeophyta indet.jpg

Paleohalidrys dendritica               Phaeophyta Indet. sp.

Parka decipiens.jpg Receptaculites oweni.jpg

Parka decipiens (2) - 2.5 cm        Fisherites reticulatus - 15 cm
Devonian - Carmyllie Series         Ordovician - Kimmswick Fm
Old Red Sandstone, Scotland      Lincoln County, Missouri

Grypania spiralis.jpg     Cystoseirites partschii.jpg

Grypania spiralis - 2.1 Gya         Cystoseirites partschii

Negaunee Iron Formation          Late Oligocene - Southern Caucasus

Marquette County, Michigan

I havent seen an example of F. ashwilli posted here. So here is an example of Florissantia ashwilli, just to complete the visual aid series. It was given to me by my dear friend Melvin Ashwill. This particular fossil is also from oregon

post-9950-0-45981300-1392423397_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-06944800-1392423681_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK
  • I found this Informative 2

I havent seen an example of F. ashwilli posted here. So here is an example of Florissantia ashwilli., given to me by my dear friend Melvin Ashwill, just to complete the visual aid series. This particular fossil is also from oregon

Thanks for reminding me about that, for comparison here are all three Florissantia species referred to above (post #228):

Florissantia spp.jpg

Beautiful algae

Thanks Nathan! :fistbump:

Just got around to viewing your wonderful collection. This is the best collection of IMPRESSIVE fossils I've seen yet., Almost every specimen is a jaw dropper and an eye popper. Your collection of trilobites and plants is especially noteworthy. By the way, what is the fossil in the top middle cabinet in the center? Looks like Wattieza stump. If it is how did you get it? I live in the area and know how difficult it is to come by those. Your Oligocene plants are a standout too. PLEASE keep collecting and posting. Thanks.

That is an admirable collection of algae (yet another phrase that you're unlikely to hear outside of TFF!)

I think I like the Grypania the most, if only because it's so rare and old.

Chris, Megatooth, Jeffrey, Rylawz, Eric, Dinosaur12lee, Thanks!

Next up are a few incredible Miocene plants from Iceland that are preserved in volcanic sediments. The map highlights the Surtarbrandsgil region of the Western Fjords where these black and white leaves are found in 12 Mya layers. These plants represent a fascinating snapshot of Iceland's violent volcanic history!

IMG1.jpg IMG2.jpg

This excellent large monograph has some interesting facts on this flora:

There are also numerous ash and tephra layers in this section, mostly light-greenish in colour, but clearly with a high content of pumice fragments. The colour and structure are a result of alteration during the conversion of loose tephra to sedimentary rock. When the fine-grained sediments at Surtarbrandsgil are split, a black lignite compression is present on the lower part and a white diatomite counterpart replica is on the upper part.

Denk, T., Grímsson, F., Zetter, R., & Símonarson, L.A. (2011)

Late Cainozoic Floras of Iceland: 15 Million Years of Vegetation and Climate History in the Northern North Atlantic.

Springer, Topics in Geobiology, 35:1-854

Chris, Megatooth, Jeffrey, Rylawz, Eric, Dinosaur12lee, Thanks! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Next up are a few incredible Miocene plants from Iceland that are preserved in volcanic sediments. The map highlights the Surtarbrandsgil region of the Western Fjords where these black and white leaves are found in 12 Mya layers. These plants represent a fascinating snapshot of Iceland's violent volcanic history!

attachicon.gifIMG1.jpg attachicon.gifIMG2.jpg

This excellent large monograph has some interesting facts on this flora:

Scott, oh crud, let me get the 2nd drool rag out. Those are awesome...the geology side of it is really fascinating..diatomite frosting!

Thanks for showing them....

Regards, Chris

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2014 at 2:49 PM, piranha said:
Next up are a few incredible Miocene plants from Iceland that are preserved in volcanic sediments....
These are absolutely fascinating! Wow...just wow!

Speaking of "drool rags", this topic has crossed the threshold, and it is high time to dust off the Golden Drool Bucket award.
Scott, for the excellence you have achieved in your collection, and your exemplary mastery of the science behind it, please accept the Forum's highest discretionary accolade :)
post-423-0-86335000-1392586709_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Speaking of "drool rags", this topic has crossed the threshold, and it is high time to dust off the Golden Drool Bucket award.
Scott, for the excellence you have achieved in your collection, and your exemplary mastery of the science behind it, please accept the Forum's highest discretionary accolade :)

Hear, hear!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Congrats, Scott! Who knew the Icelandic plants would put it over the top? (For sure they are something we don't see very often, and they are eye-catching! You do have an impressive diversity of things in your collection, how do you do it?)

Congrats Scott!

Golden Drool Bucket.jpg

WOW... Thanks a million for the kind words and great honor! Thanks again to all who have enjoyed the fossils in this thread! :D

• I found this Informative 1

Wow Piranha, the scale of your collection is simply breathtaking! :envy: I love how all the specimens are displayed in such an organised manner, one day I hope to catalogue my own collection like you have. The descriptions and papers you have included in this thread are also a great boon to those looking to collect similar specimens, thank you for sharing! May I ask what kind of setup(lighting/settings) you use to take your photographs of each specimen?

The Singaporean Fossil Collectors Group, come join us here today!

On 2/17/2014 at 9:03 PM, Han.T said:

...May I ask what kind of setup (lighting/settings) you use to take your photographs of each specimen?

Thanks Xiphactinus and Han!

The photography and lighting setup is just a point and shoot digital camera with tripod and halogen lights for optimum color temp.

Here is another installment of fossil plants. This group is from the Miocene (15 Mya) Succor Creek Flora of Malheur County, Oregon. They are all Quercus sp. (Oaks) with the exception of the bottom middle specimen being Mahonia sp. (Oregon Grape). The first example is noteworthy because it has an incredible acorn nut still attached to the leaf. This is easily one of the best fossil plant associations in my collection.

Succor_Creek1.jpg Succor_Creek3.jpg Succor_Creek2.jpg

Succor_Creek4.jpg Succor_Creek5.jpg Succor_Creek6.jpg

congratulations Scott, a well deserved award, your collection seems as endless as the knowledge you share about it :)

Carmine

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus