The Collection

piranha

To all of you a profound thank you is in order here. This forum has given my collection a new existence

beyond my four walls. The responses have been tremendously uplifting for me and knowing that anyone with a

curiosity about fossils has the opportunity to see them is rewarding beyond words. Although I'm relatively new

around here this is most definitely home for me and I hope to be around for at least a eon or two. :D

Cheers and have a great weekend!

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

To all of you a profound thank you is in order here. This forum has given my collection a new existence

beyond my four walls. The responses have been tremendously uplifting for me and knowing that anyone with a

curiosity about fossils has the opportunity to see them is rewarding beyond words. Although I'm relatively new

around here this is most definitely home for me and I hope to be around for at least a eon or two. :D

Cheers and have a great weekend!

Welcome home ;)

Hi,

Piranha, you collected a wonderful collection, deserving of a big museum. Thank you for having shared it with us.

I also like your "crabs plateau" :D

What is it curious fish, in your last comment? Could we have a photo of its mouth please ?

Have a nice week-end.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

And thank you for showing us your wonderful collection. I was so enthusiastic about it that I posted a link in our Steinkern Forum to this thread, so the Germans are able to enjoy it as well!

Nice to have you aboard!

Best wishes, Roger

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

piranha.... Yes I've enjoyed looking through your material too... Some incredible material.... Thanks for sharing them...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hi,

Piranha, you collected a wonderful collection, deserving of a big museum. Thank you for having shared it with us.

I also like your "crabs plateau" :D

What is it curious fish, in your last comment? Could we have a photo of its mouth please ?

Have a nice week-end.

Coco

Thanks Coco - the fish is a Florida Lepisosteus (gar) - either L.oculatus or L.spatula.

It's been so long since I acquired it that I don't remember which one. I would leave that up to one of the forum's paleoicthyology experts (PZF et al) to determine. And while the topic is fresh, what significant evolutionary changes (if any) have occurred within this clade? Lance Grande was going to revisit the subject although I'm not aware of the publication details or reference.

Any insight on the fish and chips (read:meat and potatoes :P ) of the Grande monograph is appreciated.

post-4301-094617600 1290284480_thumb.jpg

Edited by piranha

Here are more examples of flora from the Oligocene of Oregon. These are from the Willamette Flora and dated at 30 mya. This location is a few minutes north (by car) of the Goshen Flora. The only thing more difficult than photographing these fossils is collecting them. The rock that is easily split crumbles before your eyes and everything else is like granite. Took me about a week (4-6 hrs day) just to find these.

Nice finds but a lousy rate of return - I'll save my energy next year for more productive digs ;)

post-4301-076701900 1290379578_thumb.jpg

post-4301-015481100 1290379591_thumb.jpg

post-4301-041543800 1290379601_thumb.jpg

post-4301-057237300 1290379613_thumb.jpg

Edited by piranha

The only thing more difficult than photographing these fossils is collecting them.

Well, I'd say that it was nevertheless well worth the effort. But I know what you mean...you must have had your fun conserving them as well.

Best wishes, Roger

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Well, I'd say that it was nevertheless well worth the effort. But I know what you mean...you must have had your fun conserving them as well.

Best wishes, Roger

Every aspect is good fun - obviously I prefer to find fossils at the same rate of the hammer swinging but that's just not reality although sometimes it seems like every other split has something decent to offer. In my mind I'm already envisioning the next season of collecting. Think I might invest in a big sledge to backup the Estwing - looking to pry the larger slabs for a change. Now that's gonna leave a mark :o

Edited by piranha

Thanks Coco - the fish is a Florida Lepisosteus (gar) - either L.oculatus or L.spatula.

It's been so long since I acquired it that I don't remember which one. I would leave that up to one of the forum's paleoicthyology experts (PZF et al) to determine. And while the topic is fresh, what significant evolutionary changes (if any) have occurred within this clade? Lance Grande was going to revisit the subject although I'm not aware of the publication details or reference.

Any insight on the fish and chips (read:meat and potatoes :P ) of the Grande monograph is appreciated.

Hey,

It is Atractosteus spatula (seems that it was moved out of Lepisosteus).

Heres a comparison. http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSummary.php?StartRow=0&ID=1073&what=species&TotRec=5

cheers,

PzF

Hey,

It is Atractosteus spatula (seems that it was moved out of Lepisosteus).

Heres a comparison. http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSummary.php?StartRow=0&ID=1073&what=species&TotRec=5

cheers,

PzF

Thanks PzF -

I googled the new treatise on gars and found this link:grande_book

From ASIH.ORG:

Special Publication 6: "An Empirical Synthetic Pattern Study of Gars (Lepisosteiformes) and Closely Related Species, Based Mostly on Skeletal Anatomy. The Resurrection of Holostei" by Lance Grande will be published soon, and one free copy made available to each ASIH member for the cost of shipping and handling. Shipping rates will be determined after the book is printed. Additional copies will be available to members for $100 each and to nonmembers for $200 (plus shipping and handling) after we complete distribution to the membership.

This one has PzF's bookplate all over it ;)

• I found this Informative 1

Hey Piranha,

many thanks also from my side for posting all these fantastic display pieces! Seeing collections like yours always makes me wonder what else is hidden and locked away out there, not seeing sunlight for decades to come. All the more I am greatful to have been able to take part in your effort here. Keep up going for the nice stuff, you have one of the most interesting collections I have seen and needles to say....I am jealous.... :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Piranha,

MIND BLOWING COLLECTION!!! Also I happen to also be an Entomology nerd. Your La Braea bug is indeed a bug, in fact it is a member of the Order Hemiptera (the true bugs) from the family Belostomatidae. Your bug once roamed the shallow ponds and streams terrorizing the minnows and aquatic insect larvae. Given its elongated look I would even be confident enough to say it is likely genus Lethocerus. Their common name for their extant counterparts are toe biters for their nasty habit of biting people's feet. Beautiful specimen!!!

Scott

Thanks Bruno for the compliments and ID of Megaphyton. That one was collected from a coal seam compression in Braxton County, West Virginia. It's a favorite of mine as well. Now I know what to call it. :D

Thanks Bruno for the compliments and ID of Megaphyton. That one was collected from a coal seam compression in Braxton County, West Virginia. It's a favorite of mine as well. Now I know what to call it. :D

Hi Piranha

here is a link about fern trunks : Megaphyton , Hagiophyton ,Caulopteris , Arthrophyton .

best regards

Bruno

http://library.isgs.uiuc.edu/Pubs/pdfs/circulars/c492.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

I'm speechless Scott!!!!!

I can't believe I missed this thread!

WOW!!!!!

You've obviously spent a great deal of time (and money) assembling a first rate collection!

Thanks for directing me to this thread Scott!

It's been an honour and a privilege to view your outstanding collection!

Thanks again.

Dan

I've seen better...at the Smithsonian!

All sarcasm aside, I'll just echo everyone's 'wow.' I hope you start allowing field trips to your house! Just flabbergasted that you could accumulate so much of such obviously quality and breadth.

Wow.

mlm