Pliensbachian Ichthyosaur From Charmouth, Uk

TqB

Hi,

Here goes with my first proper post - a partial juvenile, probably Ichthyosaurus communis, common from here but this one's from higher up than usual.

Lower Lias, Belemnite Marls, a bit above the base of the Pliensbachian.

I found it about 30 years ago but have only just prepped it!

post-4556-016040200 1291739710_thumb.jpgpost-4556-031853200 1291739726_thumb.jpgpost-4556-065715500 1291739741_thumb.jpgpost-4556-001295100 1291739759_thumb.jpg

Tarquin

Yeah, that works :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Now that's what I call a great find. Perhaps they're common, but that's no everyday find. Where did you find the patience to wait so long before preparing it? Or were the proper tools failing you up til now? ;)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

That's just TOO GOOD :wub::wub::wub:

Since you just prepped it, mayhaps you should enterit in the Fossil of the Month. I'd vote for it!

Be true to the reality you create.

That is outstanding, beautiful prep, amazing fossil display, you should enter it.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Hi,

Here goes with my first proper post - a partial juvenile, probably Ichthyosaurus communis, common from here but this one's from higher up than usual.

Lower Lias, Belemnite Marls, a bit above the base of the Pliensbachian.

I found it about 30 years ago but have only just prepped it!

post-4556-016040200 1291739710_thumb.jpgpost-4556-031853200 1291739726_thumb.jpgpost-4556-065715500 1291739741_thumb.jpgpost-4556-001295100 1291739759_thumb.jpg

Hi, that's a truly fantastic fossil from the Belemnite Marls. I have never found anything to compare with it from that bed, about the best so far has been this Lytoceras which measures 25cms across.

post-804-078682400 1291761449_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your kind comments everyone. It didn't get prepped for so long because a)I kind of lost interest for a few years and b)I didn't know how to do it - joining a couple of forums a few months ago showed me the way.

It was actually finished a couple of months ago so I'd better not put it in the competition, thanks for the suggestion though. (There is another that's not finished yet...)

Chris, nice big Lytoceras, I've seen bits but never collected a whole one, was that from near the top?

Tarquin

Tarquin

Hi Tarquin,

This specimen was collected from a beach exposure of the Belemnite Marl Member 2-3 years back. It had to be removed in sections then restored. There were a number of complete specimens, some larger, but they are very difficult to extract.

Unfortunately the picture of your fantastic specimen has started ‘she who must be obeyed’ off again so I see a few more visits in the near future – bugger.

Chris

Thanks Mike, after a lot of thought I mounted it in plaster (frowned on by museums I know) and what you see is a sand layer that's part of the process.

Tarquin

Tarquin

Thanks Mike, after a lot of thought I mounted it in plaster (frowned on by museums I know) and what you see is a sand layer that's part of the process.

Tarquin

Mounting in plaster is a tried and true method that's served well for well over a century. And plasters today are much better than those from way back then. Your fossil should still be looking good long after you are gone!

Thanks for the reassurance, it went a bit funny when it was wet but seems stable now it's dried (and I treated the bone with paraloid.)

Tarquin

Tarquin

• 3 months later...

Hi TqB,

this is a really fantastic example for the fact that it is sometimes better to wait some years for better technologies of prepping fossils.

The result justifies the long time of waiting (but I can also understand people who begin prepping such splendid specimens directly after they discover them... vertebrae are realling thrilling).

Kind regards

Soenke

http://www.Der-Steinkern.de - the german fossil magazine.

:o What a wonderful find,I'm at a loss for words.I will have tracer think some up for me. :lol: Seriously :goodjob: nice find and prepwork. :thumbsu:

Bear-dog.

Thanks very much for the recent kind comments, I hadn't checked in for a while.

Here is a work in progress that I'm trying to get finished this year - possibly a young Temnodontosaurus, also from the Lower Pliensbachian Belemnite Marls. The specimen is about 4ft long, roughly the front half of the animal.

post-4556-0-32226400-1301481494_thumb.jpgpost-4556-0-32318300-1301481511_thumb.jpgpost-4556-0-67184000-1301481603_thumb.jpgpost-4556-0-24396200-1301481617_thumb.jpg

Tarquin