Pentanogmius

It's pretty awesome. I get a lot of people sending me messages when the visit the Perot so I send them on a scavenger hunt to find stuff with my name on it! The folks at that museum are saints.

• 4 months later...

I've been biting my tongue for months and can finally say it... The Pentanogmius sp. at the Perot is a new species! :yay-smiley-1:

In the paper linked below, Dr. Shimada names the new species Pentanogmius fritschi in honor of Joe Fritsch, my friend who discovered the specimen.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667115301440

This is very exciting and has been a long time coming from the discovery and excavation in 2009. We donated the specimen in January 2011 after 18 months of preparation. At the time, the exhibits for the new Perot building were already set. The museum had to revamp their display in order to add this fish which went on display in 2012. In 2014, Dr. Shimada visited the Perot to do research on another fish and noticed the Pentanogmius. He had intended to write a paper noting that it was the oldest and most complete Pentanogmius evolutus known but in researching the fish found that it was significantly different than the known species.

• I found this Informative 4

Now that's pretty cool right there!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That makes me really happy for you and your friend. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here's a pic of Joe, Kenshu, and me standing in front of Joe's fish at the SVP meeting last October.

post-4550-0-39217100-1455813935_thumb.jpg

This story is a huge win for professional and amateur paleontologists all around. It was one of my favorite prep jobs.

• I found this Informative 1

Awesome catch, er find. Hope you consider a small ( or large ) presentation at DPS. I,m sure they would love to hear the story of your adventure!

Bob

Yes! Please do that!

"Welcome...To Jurassic Park!" -Richard Attenborough

That's funny, there was just yesterday a discussion among DPS leadership about why these guys aren't members and I was thinking you probably were but before I came on board. Please go to our new improved website and click on "the society" tab and then "officers and committees" and scroll down to Tom Dill the programs chairman. If you click on his name you can email him with your kind offer. He's actually the one who wondered why you weren't a member. I'll tell him to watch for your mail.

http://www.dallaspaleo.org/

That's funny, there was just yesterday a discussion among DPS leadership about why these guys aren't members and I was thinking you probably were but before I came on board. Please go to our new improved website and click on "the society" tab and then "officers and committees" and scroll down to Tom Dill the programs chairman. If you click on his name you can email him with your kind offer. He's actually the one who wondered why you weren't a member. I'll tell him to watch for your mail.

http://www.dallaspaleo.org/

Thanks Bob, I'll drop him a line. I was a member back in the late 90's and have been on walkabout since.