I Want To Be A Paleontologist, But I Have A Few Questions

Sauropod_Lover

Ok, so I've always been in love with dinosaurs and as I grew older was very pleased to find out I love love love the rest if it all as well!

However, I've been reading up on the career and everything says you need this degree or you need that degree... which makes sense. But, the museum (in denver) has this thing called the Paleontology Certification Program. It doesn't seem to require any primary education, (I was never able to graduate high school (because I wasn't allowed to go) so I'm working on ged) so then... if it certifies you as a paleontologist, would that mean you didn't need to go to college? (I'll avoid the time and expense if I can). So, I'm a little confused, lolz.

My other question is weather I should get into field work or lab work. Field work sounds a million times better and more fun and exciting with all the traveling, but... I'm afraid the jobs will be hard to come by. Only so many people needed for so many sites, right? Also I don't do that well in heat... however I feel that I could adapt. So, lab work I think would have more job stability but not be as exciting, field work would be a truly amazing life but hard to come by... am I correct?

Is there anything else I should be aware of when getting into this kind of work? Is this to good to be true? I'm only 18, so I maybe this is just a childish dream? I don't know, Thank you so much!

Sauropod_Lover

Hi Sauropod Lover and Welcome to TFF from Oregon! :)

Here's a great thread recently discussing that exact topic. LINK

I think you'll find an amazing diversity of insight to consider.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

If I could say one thing it would be: Do whatever you can to get an education.

If you graduate college with a degree in basket weaving you can still run a fortune 500 company.

If you don't have a degree in something it is a lot harder to convince the world you can weave a basket. :D

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Hi s-lover

The Denver MuseumProgram is great. I woudls torngly recommend it at thispoint in ife. You are still young and have a ton of life ahead of you, we all hope. The denver program trains you to be a paleontological technician, which is what I am, but I call myself a paleontologist (as does everyone else) when I am talking to regular folks. If I am talking to someone who knows the difference between a plaeontologist and a paleo technician, then I use the longer term.

Also become a member of WIPS... the Western Interior Paleo Society. They are based at the museum and a re a bunch of good folks who are as excited about fossils as you are. rom beginners to experts, abd they do a whole series of great field trips during the warmer months.

Get that GED, and become active there at the museum and with WIPS, and the world will be one step closer to being your oyster.

Edited by jpc

I'm too old and have too many responsibilities that would interfere with me going back to college, but if I was 18 again, I would definitely go to college and shoot for a double major in biology and geology. And I'd be motivated to make perfect grades so I would be a candidate for a higher degree.

Almost all paleontolgists are either college professors or museum curators.

If you want to work in this field, those are your career options.

I'm curious why you don't like lab work. The field is nothing but a giant lab.

Hello! I am Larisa and I atually have a similar problem to yours. I am not able to get to college because I

am going through huge financial pinches while trying to move back home in TX with my man and I have to start from scratch-seriously! I put love before education but I am happy and I love my life! I would love to go to college someday for invertabrate paleontology courses however- I know I can make it there eventually!

Personally to me you dont have to be a college grad to be considered a paleontologist. Being connected with ancient ecosysytems, finding/preparing/cleaning fossils, reading about fossils, teaching others, being part of a team, and willing to learn new discoveries is what makes someone a paleontologist. I consider everyone on this site who really wants to learn and loves finding/posting fossils a paleontologist. Paleontology very cool subject and even amatures can understand what they teach in paleontology college courses. However if you want a career in paleontology college is needed. For me I work at a science center and identify rocks, organize them, and teach people about geology/paleontology all the time! I am like a teacher there. I have just a Core-40 degree and I get my knowledge from college paleontology books that I read at work plus stuff I find at half-price books. Some people arnt that lucky though...and you never wanna push luck :/ If you really wanna find some dinos you could always volunteer to be part of a paleo dig with a local group of paleontologists! Books are always cool too and there are never enough it seems... Try to aim for college and stick to good grades, especially in Science and Math classes!!!! Good luck with your dream and maybe I will run into you someday in the field!

Edited by Larsa

Thank you all so much for replying! It's not that I don't like lab work... actually, I really don't know what either is like, I'm just going on what I do know.. or what I think I know. Which is field work you get to travel and lab work you don't. There's actually a lot I don't know... hopefully this class will tell me everything. But that's not until March and I don't want to stay in the dark that long =P lolz thanks!

Sauropod_Lover