Keichousaurus & Psittacosaur

Garyh

To all,

I have attached a few photos of fossils I have acquired out of China which is a fossil rich country which has put a moratorium on items leaving the country. You can still acquire some spectacular specimens out of the country for now from a few very repeatable companies, one of them it Triassica of the UK. Keichousaurus are the most reproduced fossils and are made up of many composites. I know as I have purchased a few, the on e in the photo is from a National Geographic exposition to China that I acquired from a Paleontologist who was on the trip and did the preparation work. I will post other fossils in the future when I am able to open up a photo gallery.

Best regards,

Gary

post-4919-0-18503100-1296325151_thumb.jpg

post-4919-0-27626400-1296325388_thumb.jpg

post-4919-0-13219300-1296325419_thumb.jpg

Here are a few more photos, the Psittacosaurs is just shy of 4' long which is always tough to see in photos.

Best regards,

Gary

post-4919-0-43706800-1296327234_thumb.jpg

post-4919-0-29807300-1296327255_thumb.jpg

post-4919-0-76934000-1296327279_thumb.jpg

Thank you, some might think I am nuts for having a Dinosaur in the house but I think it is cool as Heck. I collect so many other things but this is one of the special items as far as my fossil collection.

PS It sure makes it nice to sit a read a book at the desk now that I cleaned all the other stuff off of the top of it...........

post-4919-0-49015000-1296328771_thumb.jpg

Beautiful fossils! :goodjob: Welcom to the forum! Cant wait to see more from your gallery! Theres nothing wrong with havin a dino in your house! I would love to have a mosasaur in my living room XD

Edited by Larsa

I agree I told a couple of my friends I was just outbid by a couple of dollars or I would have had Sue the T rex in my sun room..........LOL

Yes I agree the other one I own is one of those Chinese grinding jobs this one was prepped by a professional paleontologist.

Edited by Garyh

Yes I agree the other one I own is one of those Chinese grinding jobs this one was prepped by a professional paleontologist.

Very nice pieces. I must say most paleontologists do not do their own prep work. Perhaps a professional fossil prepper?

He is in my collection room, each night I turn on the light just before I go to bed and check him out along with the other stuff, the go to bed.

I look at him / her when I am at the desk and think how cool it would be if it were alive. At only four feet he would have made a great house pet, and at being a herbivore he would not try to take a nip out of me..... I hope.

...At only four feet he would have made a great house pet, and at being a herbivore he would not try to take a nip out of me..... I hope.

exsqueeze me?!?! k, let me tell you sompin about critters like that. yer nickname would have been "stumpy" if you'd reached out a hand in friendship to that critter. eatin' preferences got nothin' to do with fightin' preferences. ninety-thirteen percent of the birds and lizards i ever tried to be friends with were mean to the bone...

To all,

the on e in the photo is from a National Geographic exposition to China that I acquired from a Paleontologist who was on the trip and did the preparation work.

Best regards,

Gary

This line confuses me... so the specimen is from a NG expedition TO or exposition IN, but not likely an "exposition to"... the noun-preposition agreement needs clarifiaction. And you got it from a paleontologist who picked it up in China.. and then he/she illegally exported it??? Red Flags are a-waving.... Even a paleontologist who has a permit to bring things out of China has to eventually return it to China. What gives?

The keichousaur is not a recent purchase and yes it is from a NG sanctioned trip to China, it was bought back to the US along with other items, I have owned it for about nine years. I purchased it from the original owner who was a friend of the palioentologest who acquired the specimen then had it professionally mounted in the frame shown. The mounting cost more than the found up Keichousaurs you see for sale on EBay.

The quality of the work is spectacular as anyone can see.

Is this Mike's work from Triassica? He is scheduled to mount my Psittacosaur. I cannot wait. He is excellent at what he does! Your specimen's pose is wonderful. I might have to consider it!

Is this Mike's work from Triassica? He is scheduled to mount my Psittacosaur. I cannot wait. He is excellent at what he does! Your specimen's pose is wonderful. I might have to consider it!

Yes the Psittacosaurus is the work of Triassica and Mike's team. I had commissioned Mike to find me a nice large Psittacosaurus during last fall and after about four months or so I received the email that he had one for sale that had completely intact ribs and a symmetrical skull which is rare due to the pressures applied during fossilization.

Due to the size and condition we negotiated a price and he was off. We had several emails and phone calls on how I wanted the mount positioned. I wanted it in aggressive stance with its mouth agape. Mike and his team did a fantastic job in creating what I envisioned as you can see in the photo (which does not do it justice as seeing it in real life). One of the main issues was the jaw, it took close to 40hrs to remove the matrix and remove the jaw from the skull.

As far as the rest of the presentation it is my creation, I fabricated the wood base to match the décor of my home office and had the acrylic case manufactured to protect the dino from my grandchildren….LOL. I then mounted the Psittacosaurus and created the faux landscape and had a plaque made up with the identification info. I sent photos to Mike and he was blow away by the finished product. We elected not to add any faux/restoration to the dino as Mike said it was the most complete dino he has received to date that was from all the same specimen. As you can see it is missing some of the ribs but under his guidance he suggested that it was much better to have a 100% specimen with no restoration than adding faux ribs that were missing.

He kept enforcing that to me so I took his advice, like he said to me if it just had little bits and pieces of the ribs as the ones he usually receives then there would be no discussion but to make the ribs, but as it had both opposing ribs that were intact it was far better off not adding any restoration material, he was very clear on this point.

Just as a heads up it comes to you completely unassembled with the glue to put it all together just like a model. He provides cyanoacrylate based fast-acting adhesive to assemble it with. I was able to secure the spray accelerant which was a God sent as all you have to due is hold it in place, spray the accelerant and it is instantly cured.

Well good luck with your Psittacosaurus purchase, I just had to get one before you can not get any in any kind of condition in the future. I scored big with my purchase, like I sad photos don't due it justice, just to give you a example the head is the size of a grapefruit.

Best regards,

Gary

how was the completely unassembled specimen mounted in an aggressive stance?

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

""""Just as a heads up it comes to you completely unassembled with the glue to put it all together just like a model. He provides cyanoacrylate based fast-acting adhesive to assemble it with. I was able to secure the spray accelerant which was a God sent as all you have to due is hold it in place, spray the accelerant and it is instantly cured.""""

Answer: This is the mount that was assembled, they break it down for shipping and send you the "unassembled" Dino as it is impossible to ship. It is completely apart so you have the fun of remounting it on it armature. Mike does send step by step photos of how to put it back together but I did not use them. I was actually very lucky the specimen was shipped on a Monday I received it the next day Tuesday from the UK to Long Island in just one day, through customs on both sides, just unheard of and then shipped to the Island! I am lucky as JFK airport is about two hrs away from were I live and the Fedex depot.

Mike thought he had time to email the photos, when it talked to him on the phone I told him it was already here and put together!

Gary

Sent from my iPad

Gary.... Very nice specimens... Yours look well mounted in a great pose...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I so want a dino in my house!

I have to tell you I check him out every night when I come home from work and before I go to bed along with all my other snarge-- collectibles....LOL

You can see my other stuff on YouTube by searching for garyh54 you will see my cars along with my bonsai,clocks, phonographs, antique radios....etc......etc....

I am going to video my fossil collection and post it soon.

Best regards

Gary

Gary.... Very nice specimens... Yours look well mounted in a great pose...

Thank you I contacted Mike at Triassica to find one that was just what I wanted. I also worked with Mike at Triassica to get the mount just right which is a tough thing to do seeing that you are working with fossilized bone and it is not just going to bend. It really did come out perfect as I will post photos of it this weekend along with some other specimens.

From the top view it has the perfect sweep on the tail and the head is turned just right. I wanted it to look as if it was startled and got ##### off and was turning towards the the person viewing it as if to say "back off"!!

The biggest challenge for Mike and his team was separating the jaw from the skull without destroying the teeth. He said it almost took 40hrs to separate them which at first he told me he did not think it could be done. I have photos to share of the process and the mount in construction which I will try to get to posting this weekend.

Thank you for the comments

Best regards

Gary