Microfossils Ray Teeth

alopias

:) Cannelures is whut us southerners pick up at a tackle shop before we go fishin. :) :lol: :rofl::fistbump: If you get this you might be a ...... :meg dance: :jig: Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

:) Cannelures is whut us southerners pick up at a tackle shop before we go fishin. :) :lol: :rofl::fistbump: If you get this you might be a ...... :meg dance: :jig:

bear-dog ... ain;t the Cannelures on the shelf right next to the Cupacrawlers? ROFL.gif and yes, we might be a ######

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Hieronymus,

No, it's not the nutrient groove (that is called a "sillon" in French). It's probably a "ridge" or a "fold." I didn't read it correctly yesterday. In Plinthicus the crown has numerous fine ridges on the labial and lingual sides with narrow spaces/grooves between. "Mobula" (or Paramobula) fragilis has similar ridges but they are not as fine (thin).

For more discussion on "Mobula" fragilis, check this out:

Bourdon, J. 1999.

A Fossil Manta from the Early Pliocene (Zanclean) of North America. Tertiary Research. 19 (3+4):79-84.

There is also some discussion of Paramobula, Mobula, and Plinthicus on elasmo.com in the Batoids section.

That article mentions another that sounds like it's something any ray collector should have:

Notarbartolo-di-Sciara, G. 1987.

A revisionary study of the genus Mobula Rafinesque, 1810 with the description of a new species. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. 91:1-91.

Jess

Siteseer, I don't have the publication with me right now but I think "cannelures" has something to do with the ornamentation of the tooth. I don't think it's a feeding groove, but rather a shallow striation or wrinkle on the crown surface.

Edited by siteseer

Coco,

The article I cited, and I'm sorry I neglected to include it yesterday, is:

Cappetta, H. 1970.

Les selaciens du Miocene de la region de Montpellier. Paleovertebrata. mem. ext: 1-139.

Here is the part in question within the description of Plinthicus stenodon on page 114 (please excuse the lack of accents):

"La face superieure, triturante, est inclinee vers l'avant. Elle se raccorde par une zone convexe et lisse a la face anterieure de profil concave qui porte de nombreuses canelures verticales, separees par des sillons; cette face surplombe nettement la partie anterieure de la racine par une visiere anguleuse."

Thanks for your help,

Jess

Jess, please indicate here the title, the year and all the authors of this publications, and I will see if I have it and if I can explain "canelures".

This world could have several means, and I have to read what he wrote to understand what is "canelures".

We maybe already spoke about it in past, because I vaguely remember having tried to understand a description in french without arriving there...

Coco

Siteseer,

That's what I said, it's not a nutrient groove but rather some kind of ornamentation on the crown...

The text you show indeed says that there are a lot of vertical ridges, seperated by grooves.

Thank's for the references!

Jerry

Jess Coco and Heironymus thanks for you help ;) .

presently I have very few species of this tooth ,I think is vey rare in the middle Miocene of Loupian .

Henri Cappetta's description is very technical, and I don't understand all his explanation very perfectly.

Nevertheless, I tried to redo a drawing from the plate relative to this species (because the plate of my document is of very very bad quality) with what I understand of his explanations.

canelu10.jpg

Hope this help you. Alopias, do you understand the same think than me ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Jerry,

Yes, I should have been more clear about agreeing with you. I did not mean to sound like I was correcting you. You understood the full meaning before I did.

Jess

Siteseer,

That's what I said, it's not a nutrient groove but rather some kind of ornamentation on the crown...

The text you show indeed says that there are a lot of vertical ridges, seperated by grooves.

Thank's for the references!

Jerry

Coco,

As I understand the text, your illustration clearly represents what Cappetta is saying. Thanks for putting that together.

Jess

Henri Cappetta's description is very technical, and I don't understand all his explanation very perfectly.

Nevertheless, I tried to redo a drawing from the plate relative to this species (because the plate of my document is of very very bad quality) with what I understand of his explanations.

canelu10.jpg

Hope this help you. Alopias, do you understand the same think than me ?

Coco

• 7 months later...