Something Uncommon

isurus90064

I'm pretty sure I have posted this before but here it is again.

This is one of the larger serrated threshers that I have found. I still need to clean the mineral deposit off of the tooth. It looks like it's reddish brown under the coating.

post-210-1217732588_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I'm back from my "Four States in Four Days" fossil trip. I did a big circle through Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia. Two of the reasons it went so quick were that my two favorite abandoned quarries for Carboniferous shark teeth have been destroyed due to road widening, and it rained like crazy so the creeks I usually find loaded with fossils were loaded with muddy water. I managed to find some fossil crumbs and got some pics of tiny shark teeth in massive limestone blocks. The teeth are still there. I could have gotten them out if I had a portable concrete saw or a small nuclear warhead. Better luck next time.

Here are some Brambles from (top to bottom) the Eocene Muddy Creek site, Chile, and Lee Creek.

post-210-1217731987_thumb.jpg

Ron:

Sorry to hear about the loss of several of your collecting sites - the unfortunate result of progress(?).

You mentioned West Virginia as one of the states you collected during this trip. May I ask if you have previously collected shark teeth from WV and, if so, what you found? I'm just asking out of curiosity and for general information purposes.

Thanks

FS

So far I have only collected plant material in West Virginia. I have heard there are a few trilobite sites reasonably close to the Virginia border, but I have never taken the time to check them out.

So far I have only collected plant material in West Virginia. I have heard there are a few trilobite sites reasonably close to the Virginia border, but I have never taken the time to check them out.

Ron:

Thanks for the reply.

I've never seen a fossil shark tooth from WV. However, years ago I recall seeing a few figured in a West Virginia Geological Society (at least I think this was it) publication. I don't recall the species or where they were found - just that they are known from the state.

FS

Hey FS

Not many people know about Pyramid Hill (and certainly not that it's very close to STH). I don't know how much you enjoy this sort of site/fauna but in case you do, you might enjoy this selection I put together today:

The photo depicts all the below genera, although I'm fairly sure I'm missing one or two:

Isurus sp.

Galeocerdo spp.

Squatina sp.

Carcharhinus spp.

Pristiophorus sp.

Megachasma sp.

Hexanchus sp.

Galeorhinus sp.

Cetorhinus sp.

Carcharias sp.

Hemipristis sp.

Sphyrna sp.

Dasyatis sp.

Mobula

Myliobatid teeth

Dermal denticles

A variety of bony fish teeth

A variety of fish/sharks verts

Hi Marcel:

That's an impressive faunal listing from the site. Without looking at the actual teeth, my inventory lists the following species in my collection - all of which you have on your list.

Isurus sp

Pristiophorus

Megachasma

Alopias sp

Squatina

Miss ray teeth

FS

FS: Considering the site has been closed/inaccessable since the late 70s that in itself is an impressive list of teeth. I also have a Carcharocles tooth from there but it's broken and I have to look it up.

• 4 months later...
Here are a few Megachasma teeth from an area about 2 miles northeast of Sharktooth Hill called Pyramid Hill, Kern County, CA.

Those are great! I found a couple of teeth I thought to be Megachasma, but after looking at them under magnifacation I believe the are galeocerdo contortus parasymphyseal teeth

I remember Bob telling me that in all of his digging at 'the Hill' he had only found 2-3 confirmed Megachasma teeth .. over time there were a couple that I've seen that could have been Megachasma but they were both damaged. On the other hand Megachasma from Pyramid Hill is not that unususal, it's just unusual because the site has been inaccessable for so long.

Over time I've seen Bob come up with some strange anomalies ... one tooth he found was a 4.5" meg but it had classic cusps ala angustidens, another was a lightly serrated mako. I believe the mako is on display in the BVNHM (found and donated by Ron Barnes).

I remember Bob telling me that in all of his digging at 'the Hill' he had only found 2-3 confirmed Megachasma teeth .. over time there were a couple that I've seen that could have been Megachasma but they were both damaged. On the other hand Megachasma from Pyramid Hill is not that unususal, it's just unusual because the site has been inaccessable for so long.

Over time I've seen Bob come up with some strange anomalies ... one tooth he found was a 4.5" meg but it had classic cusps ala angustidens, another was a lightly serrated mako. I believe the mako is on display in the BVNHM (found and donated by Ron Barnes).

Bob was the one who actually confirmed what I thought to be megachasma as galeocerdo parasymphyseals. Still nice teeth just not that rare. So there are no areas open to collect at pyramid hill like at the ampitheater location?

Bob was the one who actually confirmed what I thought to be megachasma as galeocerdo parasymphyseals. Still nice teeth just not that rare. So there are no areas open to collect at pyramid hill like at the ampitheater location?

The Pyramid locality is a very limited outcrop unlike the Roundmountain Silt which covers a massive area. It is all located on private land. Then there is the Olcese Sand, which is exposed in a number of areas, but these areas are largely property of the EPA ... unfortunately.

Guest bmorefossil
I'm pretty sure I have posted this before but here it is again.

This is one of the larger serrated threshers that I have found. I still need to clean the mineral deposit off of the tooth. It looks like it's reddish brown under the coating.

post-210-1217732588_thumb.jpg

yes thats a very nice tooth, just found my first serrated one and the serrations on it are so light, the tooth is not very worn i just think its the way the tooth should look.

The Pyramid locality is a very limited outcrop unlike the Roundmountain Silt which covers a massive area. It is all located on private land. Then there is the Olcese Sand, which is exposed in a number of areas, but these areas are largely property of the EPA ... unfortunately.

The land out there is being gobbled up fast. Hopefully the downturn in the economy will slow down the development in Bakersfield. And the open lands open a little longer.

Speaking of Sharktooth Hill ... something other than a shark ... this is an unerupted Desmostylus tooth. On this tooth the greatest length is hard to measure because it is fairly compact and does not have an obvious longest side as most shark teeth do. But using calipers its safe to say this tooth is at least 4.08"long.

post-423-12634378440823_thumb.jpgpost-423-12634378627682_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

what tooth that is just a rock we all know that how about so ship it to me for christmas i need some rocks to put under the tree (= B)B)B)B)

Speaking of Sharktooth Hill ... something other than a shark ... this is an unerupted Desmostylus tooth....

I had to Google that one; very cool!

Here's the Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmostylus

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Desmostylus is found in not that many places but is known fairly well at Sharktooth Hill (as well as Coalinga). This animal was prime prey for the abundance of sharks out there since quite a few Desmostylus bones have been found with shark bite marks on them.

• 1 month later...
STH Echinorhinus blakei ...

AWESOME! I have two from there too! :cool:

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!