Very "toothy" Fossil Found

Mandi

Hello everyone!

My name is Amanda! We found a very odd toothy looking fossil today.

It was found on the coast of NC, USA.

Hope someone has some clue!...cause were so lost on what this is!

(assuming sea-life...maybe shark!?)

Thanks you so much for taking a look at our crazy find!

Ill happily take more pics if needed!

xoxo Mandi

please click on the pic to see its much larger version!

post-6314-0-97136500-1310605510_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mandi

You found that on a beach in NC? Interesting. You have a very nice condition symphesial cow shark tooth! Its a great tooth and definitely display worthy. I would find some sort of case for i!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Mike, woohooooo!! Your rock my socks! Thank you sooo much for helping! Ive been searching for hourrrs online with little luck >___<

Swamp, why thank you! My 7 year old son found it!

Well, your boy found one of the Holy Grails of fossil shark's tooth collecting, and it's a beautiful specimen!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well, your boy found one of the Holy Grails of fossil shark's tooth collecting, and it's a beautiful specimen!

Auspex is right, definitely a holy grail find. Ive been looking for 2.5 years and have never found one! Again congrats!

Kids always have an easier time finding shark teeth (they are closer to the ground) :D

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Mandi,

Yes, that is a Notorynchus tooth (Notorynchus belongs to a group of sharks called hexanchids or cow sharks) - a symphyseal as identified by MikeDOTB. Check this link:

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=genera/cenozoic/sharks/notorynchus.html&menu=bin/menu_genera-alt.html

If you do a little surfing, you will find out more about the shark. You will find more photos of that tooth position on this forum as well:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/gallery/image/5965-notorynchus-symphysealjpg/

Hello everyone!

My name is Amanda! We found a very odd toothy looking fossil today.

It was found on the coast of NC, USA.

Hope someone has some clue!...cause were so lost on what this is!

(assuming sea-life...maybe shark!?)

Thanks you so much for taking a look at our crazy find!

Ill happily take more pics if needed!

xoxo Mandi

please click on the pic to see its much larger version!

post-6314-0-97136500-1310605510_thumb.jpg

7 years of collecting, 3 broken, 1 complete one awesome find and great shape.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Oh this is just so exciting!!!!!! All of you have made my night, and thank you to each of you for taking the

time to help my son and I!

Mike, I must add...and didnt think to get too in detail at first....but although we live on the beach (morehead city) of NC,and the fossil os indeed from the NC ocean... we did not find it there just playing in the tide or whatnot.

My son actually found it at a Dig Site in Raleigh/Durham.

Here is an article on the site if youd like to know more about where he found it. It says items found in the dig site are 5 to 23 MILLION years old...im just like whoooaaaa! amazing!!!

http://blogs.ncmls.org/greg-dodge/2010/02/05/very-old-rocks/

Siteseer, bless you for the links! woot! Off to read noooww!

xoxox Mandi!

Another photo of it in my hand! ...just to show size or whatnot...and cause im now super proud of it! heheheheh <3

post-6314-0-61399000-1310623609_thumb.jpg

That explains it! The material is Lee Creek. Still a rare and unusual find, but not as surprising as if it came from the beach. :wub:

I sometimes deliberately take friends or relatives (with absolutely no interest in fossils) with me on my excursions,to benefit from their "beginner's luck"... it' s a real blessing...

Great find!

Another photo of it in my hand! ...just to show size or whatnot...and cause im now super proud of it! heheheheh <3

post-6314-0-61399000-1310623609_thumb.jpg

As well you should be ... :D

Be true to the reality you create.

I sometimes deliberately take friends or relatives (with absolutely no interest in fossils) with me on my excursions,to benefit from their "beginner's luck"... it' s a real blessing...

Great find!

I never told you guys :ph34r: when I tried to take advantage of a kind first timer lady in a mine?

She found a gorgeous, fantastic swirled, heavly deformed 4,5 inches meg she thought it was broken. I was proposing her my 3 inches perfect meg in trade when her huseband came? :ph34r: :ph34r: :blush: :sword:

Shame on me... :shake head: :phew:

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Mandi,

Welcome to the Forum! Congratulations to your son for awesome find. IMO, Notorynchus are cool looking teeth. Definitely something to display proudly.

Acryzona

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Drool.... Not that you would ever want to sell that tooth but it would probably fetch anywhere between 200 and 400 on Ebay... Really nice find. 2.5 years of searching and I've never even sniffed close to one.

wow hokie thats just so amazing to hear!

Funny how life leads you in new directions.

My entire life, from about 5 years old...I wanted to be one of three things when I grew up:

A Las Vagas show girl

Owner of my own airline company, Pegasus Air!

Or become a paleontologist!

Life led me in totlly different directions, but my love for digging, "treasure" hunting and fossils has never

left me. Although acting on that love sadly had.

Since last night, I am in full gear again and have fallen in love with this passion all over again! Yay me!!! ...and yay to all of you for helping me find that excitment all over again!!!

Now, serious stuffs Id like to ask if anyone can help....

is this so special that I should let the members of the Paleontolgy Research Group at the dig site we found it at know we found it there?

Would that be special for them? or really not that big of a deal? They do not have this fossil listed at their dig site as one of the fossils youll find, so im sure it may surprise them?!

Also, is it so rare that i should allow a museum of some sort borrow or buy it to display? For some reason sharing it with people and letting others enjoy and learn from it seems more special than just keeping it all to ourselves lol!!! or is it not rare enough of a find that a museum of some sorts would want to display it?

Edited by Mandi

Hi Mandi, The tooth doesn't hold much scientific value. The value comes from the fact that it is from a relatively uncommon shark and from an uncommon position (center tooth). The unique shape and rarity of the tooth give it the value (to those of use who collect such things). The paleontology group might be interested to hear you guys found the tooth but only for the "wow! that's neat factor".

Wow! your son did indeed find a really nice tooth. Until now, I've never seen one like that. Thank you for sharing and welcome to the forums.

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

Hello Mandi,

What you should do is get a nice frame and put it in it and hang it proudly in your Sons room. I would also recomend 2 things for you. First, North Carolina has quite a few locations that yall can collect from and with some very surprising and interesting finds. If you are not sure how to get started, just ask some of the NC members for advice or join a fossil club in NC as they plan and organize collecting trips in NC every year and some of the places are safe for kids. If you are from or near Raleigh, NC they have a fossil club and membership is very affordable and you will meet great people and learn a lot. You may also inspire your Son. One of my favorite sayings from an old TV show was "Take your kid hunting instead of hunting your kid" You could take him fossil hunting. Anyway, my point is it is not to late to still enjoy fossil collecting and you can learn alot from the Fossil Forum. My second piece of advice is to go on ebay and spend $20 bucks or less and pick up the just as impressive matching sharktooth to yours but not as rare. Type in Cow Shark Tooth and you will find some affordable examples. Then you can add it to the frame with the fine tooth you have and it would make an awesome display. I have added a picture of what a match to yours would look like. Welcome to the Forum and congrats to you and your Son.

Bobby

wow hokie thats just so amazing to hear!

Funny how life leads you in new directions.

My entire life, from about 5 years old...I wanted to be one of three things when I grew up:

A Las Vagas show girl

Owner of my own airline company, Pegasus Air!

Or become a paleontologist!

Life led me in totlly different directions, but my love for digging, "treasure" hunting and fossils has never

left me. Although acting on that love sadly had.

Since last night, I am in full gear again and have fallen in love with this passion all over again! Yay me!!! ...and yay to all of you for helping me find that excitment all over again!!!

Now, serious stuffs Id like to ask if anyone can help....

is this so special that I should let the members of the Paleontolgy Research Group at the dig site we found it at know we found it there?

Would that be special for them? or really not that big of a deal? They do not have this fossil listed at their dig site as one of the fossils youll find, so im sure it may surprise them?!

Also, is it so rare that i should allow a museum of some sort borrow or buy it to display? For some reason sharing it with people and letting others enjoy and learn from it seems more special than just keeping it all to ourselves lol!!! or is it not rare enough of a find that a museum of some sorts would want to display it?

post-6069-0-40077900-1310712242_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sharkbyte

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Drool.... Not that you would ever want to sell that tooth but it would probably fetch anywhere between 200 and 400 on Ebay... Really nice find. 2.5 years of searching and I've never even sniffed close to one.

I think that $400 is overly optimistic - perhaps if the tooth were from South America. The location isn't particularly sought after, so I'd say anywhere between $180-240. It would all depend on the size of the tooth, of course.

You all have no clue how greatful I am for all of your insight!

I wanted to update everyone!

I emailed the museum and told them about what we found, they contacted us and are sooo super excited!!!

They invited us back to the museum for a photo shoot of Jesse (my son) and the tooth! They also have a slew of media (news papers and TV)

meeting us from both Raleigh/Durham and media from the coast of where we live, to do a story on his find! My sons dream is to be "famous" (an actor or breakdancer lol!)

so I cannot even tell you how excited he is! He said he feels like he is dreaming! awwwe!

We also offered for the Life and Science Museum to borrow the tooth for the rest of the summer to display! They are super duper elated!

Sharkbyte, thank you sooo much for all of your tips! Love the framing idea with the other teeth, totally gonna do that! Ill be able to add a newspaper clipping or two and photos to that...what an amazing thing for a little boys childhood!!

We did a phone interview today and I credited The Fossil Forum for all of the help and information weve gotton! Im pretty sure it will be mentioned! Ill keep you all posted!

Hello Mandi an Jesse,

I am very excited for the both of you. Hope to see yall on the news. : )

Bobby

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius