Very "toothy" Fossil Found

Mandi

This is wonderful news! How exciting for your son :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, very exciting Mandi!

As sharkbyte said, if you want to pursue the hobby, just ask some of us NC members and we can definitely give you some advice/info etc on fossil hunting!

Again, congrats to you and your son, and if you get a link to an article/video clip about your adventure, definitely post it!

Mike

DO, or do not. There is no try.

My exact thoughts as well, hokie...

Fantastic find! :notfair:

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on a very nice find.

Don't forget to enter it in the "Fossil of the Month" on this site.

I have one that is gorgeous but yours is in even better shape than mine is.

Hi again everyone!

Thank you to all of you who have been private messaging me, offering tips, and welcoming me to the site! Ive gotton quite a few!

A new update!

Today we went back to The Life and Science Museum in Durham to meet with the President and the PR lady, as well as the press!

It was such a wonderful visit! They treated us as their guests all day and we got the VIP treatment!

My son was so excited! They did a photo shoot at the dig site, and did an interview for and with the press!

I will know shortly who all will be publishing this story. I indeed credited The Fossil Forum for the wonderful help! I hope they include you guys! Id love for you all to see it! There are papers from the Raleigh/Durham area as well as Craven, Carteret and Onslow counties. As well as video for the news/TV stations! The Museum was proud! awwwe!

Haddy, I didnt even know there was one! How awesome! Ill go play around the site some more!

Oh, and I forgot to add...I am planning a Lee Creek, NC visit when its not so dang hot! Id love to go sit out there and dig and explore soon!

Welcome to the forum! Nice tooth! I've been looking for one of those for a few years myself ;)

Haddy, I didnt even know there was one! How awesome! Ill go play around the site some more!

Oh, and I forgot to add...I am planning a Lee Creek, NC visit when its not so dang hot! Id love to go sit out there and dig and explore soon!

Mandy,

If you are planning a visit to the Aurora Fossil Museum, be sure to take a few empty buckets or boxes and a shovel. You can take home all the free fossil dirt you want. There are also a few piles of that type fossil dirt lying all around town. It's all FREE! If you have old window screen, pour the dirt on and wash it with waterhose. If no screen, just dump it in a pile and let Mother Nature wash it. You'll be amazed at what you can find! Save everything until until you can ID it. There are plenty of websites to help, not to mention the wealth of knowlege on this forum. That is one neat sympheaseal. I found my first one in the same type dirt-it was an awesome experience. Congratulations to your son.

Eeeeee! Mako-mama you make it sound soooooooo fun!!!!! I am seriosuly itching to get out there!

Thanks for the advice, I will totally follow what you have told me! And getting a screen will be easy!

Now of this high heat of summer will just subside so I can gooooo!

Hi Mandi and welcome to the forum. That symphyseal tooth your son found is one beautiful tooth, and indeed is one of the most sought after teeth. In all my years of collecting I have found one complete one and a few partials. All of the Cow shark teeth are highly prized. It must be very exciting for you and your son to have this find being documented as it is being and I hope to see it in the newspaper and on tv soon. Congratulations.

One word of advice, if you do visit the Aurora fossil museum and want to take some of the matrix home like mako-mama suggested, make sure you clear it with the museum first. The material comes from the PCS mine and the museum only gets new piles 2 sometimes 3 times a year. They generally don't mind you taking some, but not all you want. Remember it is there for everyone to enjoy, not to hoard. They get many, many groups from schools and churches and other youth oriented places a. Also while you are there, remember they are a non-profit and get no funding from the state. Give a donation or buy something from their gift shop toi help them keep offering the museum and piles to ALL of us.

You and your son enjoy your new hobby, and don't hesitate to ask us here on the forum for any help.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

sixgill pete, thank you!

Looks like were planning a trip out there this weekend! Thank you for the pointers! And yes, I just seen where they need donations to stay open, I will totally support them! Im super excited to go!

We should begin seeing our story in the media tomorrow! Ill post any links once I get them for sure!

Here are the items that we found at the dig site when we went back the other day to the museum (including the cow sharks tooth from the original visit). I am sooo clueless at what we have lol!

Ill be doing research to learn about our finds tonight. I cleaned everything today and it all looks so cool!

The only one I am really wondering about is in the 2nd photo...directly under the penny...I found one that looks like a fang. Its a cylinder all the way around...not flat like sharks teeth are...its odd >.<

post-6314-0-74337200-1312169163_thumb.jpg

post-6314-0-86532400-1312169233_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mandi

Ooooo, my fang looking toothy thingy may be this? It looks just like it in person!!!

http://www.blackriverfossils.org/MarineMammal/Seal/tabid/53/Fossils/1777/Default.aspx

edited: okay maybe not...upon more research it doesnt really look like that now >.< maybe its a claw of some sort. I have no clue. lol

I made a new thread in the ID area too, hoping to find out more!

Edited by Mandi

One of three dreams: "To be a Las Vegas Show girl"

If I only had a dollar for all the members on here that shared that dream in thier younger years!

(Nice tooth, now you're hooked!!)

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

One of three dreams: "To be a Las Vegas Show girl"

If I only had a dollar for all the members on here that shared that dream in thier younger years!

(Nice tooth, now you're hooked!!)

lol! what 5 year old wants to be that? How on earth did my innocent rather sheltered life even know about them?

Still trying to figure that one out ~~(:

And yes! hooked...fo sho! <3

• 2 weeks later...

This is really wonderful; I'm all smiles :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

wow congrats! only problem is when I find something "one of a kind" I always want another one :D

Mandi - very nice find for you and your son! I have hunted Lee Creek and it's reject material for 13 years now and have found exactly ONE tooth like you found - it is more rare than you know ... so congrats again!