Here's the Moroccan tooth I mentioned several weeks back that I wanted to post ..

Otodus sokolovi

~4.23" - 10.74cm

Late Eocene - Priabonian

Samlat Formation - Guerran Member - Unit 2

~38-34 Ma

Western Sahara

South of ad-Dakhla

03.jpg.643a0e0b6d6260f1b2cd41e23787f4b3.jpg

Bone Valley meg .. this tooth is 5.75"+ .. there's some slight natural wear on the serrations at the tip, but other than that its all there.

Wow, that's gigantic for a BV Meg!!!! :bow:

Wow, that's gigantic for a BV Meg!!!! :bow:

Yeah, and it has a lateral cusplet showing on one side with at least a hint of one that didn't develop on the other. While some people would be tempted to call the tooth a "chubutensis" because of the cusplets, it is perhaps best ID'ed as a megalodon. The BV megs are Late Miocene and even the juvenile teeth lack cusplets by then so any teeth having them should be noted as examples of atavism (a character of an ancestor occasionally seen in a descendant species). In any case it is a beautiful example of a large BV megalodon (anything over 5" is considered really big for Bone Valley).

Thanks Siteseer for the comment on atavism .. I think this tooth does show some of it although what is hard to see in the pic is that the apparent cusp is not really as much a cusp as it is a 3 dimensional fold or wave as it's known. It comes out looking more like a cusp from that angle, but if I were to turn the tooth sideways you'd see that part of the tooth is folding onto itself .. it's probably a little of both (cusp + fold :-)).

• I found this Informative 1

Here's the Moroccan tooth I mentioned several weeks back that I wanted to post .. 4.23"

No much to be said - except for Incredible!!

I believe that these have been swallowed and look at the "ears" one the one :P

DSC02330.jpg

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I think FS had posted some beautiful, complete, very large Carcharocles teeth from Summerville (I think 2 pages back). I will just add my biggest shamer from that locality. The tooth itself is in pristine condition. I'll let the pic speak for itself :-).

~4.13" - 10.49cm

03.jpg.c2e2aa2459403cf22ff8355f12c81b27.jpg

Very nice Phoenix, are those LC teeth? Those are some snarge big ears ..

Yes, the ear tooth was a Lee Creek tooth, but the two white ones next to it are Westmoreland teeth. Unforunately that location is no longer open for collecting :(

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Regarding the jumbo angustiden(?) tooth - it is a goal of mine to take anyone who would call this amazing tooth a "shamer" hunting with me and teach them the definition. What's wrong with it?! Like one, maybe two nicked serrations, missing tip - its a beaut!! You wanna talk about shamers? Here's his less fortunate half-brother.

post-2469-12653176554913_thumb.jpg

CBK

Isurus90064,

I suppose I got a little wound up. Its a very nice tooth. In my eight or so years of solo collecting Ive only ever found three or four angustiden teeth in the same or better condition and all short of 3". For someone used to handling gem-quality teeth and for those well-versed in the market for the same, I'm sure even the slightest cosmetic flaw is taken into account, whereas I get excited if I find enough of a large tooth to be able to ID it.

CBK

No need to explain I totally understand ... when I collect myself I get excited over any shark tooth that pops out. When I buy them I think about how many hours of work it took to pay for the tooth I'm considering .. :-P :-).

I just noticed .. I was typing d .. a .. m .. n and it replaced it with snarge. From now on out I will use snarge.

"SNARGE" I like it! :D A new descriptive term! Hey Marcel, are these great teeth you have been posting new Tucson acquisitions?

"SNARGE" I like it! :D A new descriptive term! Hey Marcel, are these great teeth you have been posting new Tucson acquisitions?

Jey FS, the only snarge teeth that came from snarge Tucson were the 2 desori's. I still have to take pics of the snarge teeth I got at Tucson .. although I did not get that many ... the prices are so snarge high these days, dealers keep upping the snarge prices :P:)