News Article About Me

Dave pom Allen

Hey Dave,

I must admit, phocids (true seals) are not my strong point - but I do have access to the bulk of the literature on fossil true seals, and some of your specimens likely represent new taxa. I would love to make it up to the North Island sometime for a visit.

Bobby

congratulations! it's great to see that you're on the media! :D :D ;)B)^_^

however, I'm not happy with the name "amateur" paleontologist. who said we were amateurs? you aren't an amateur and that's for certain! <_<

congratulations! it's great to see that you're on the media! :D :D ;)B)^_^

however, I'm not happy with the name "amateur" paleontologist. who said we were amateurs? you aren't an amateur and that's for certain! <_<

Unless he's employed as a paleontologist (that's not the same as being paid for a fossil), he's an amateur. No shame in that.

''Amateur Paleontologist attracts attention''

Has anyone met the term ''AMATEUR PALEONTOLOGIST'' to date???

Me not... :o :o :o

And this itself is saying a lot Thumbs%20Up.gif

Astrinos, we are ALL amateur paleontologists to some degree! It's just that some, like Dave, make it look easy to get such recognition from the pros!

Edited by Wrangellian

Astrinos, we are ALL amateur paleontologists to some degree! It's just that some, like Dave, make it look easy to get such recognition from the pros!

Hmmm!!! :unsure:

I respect your aspect, Eric, but we are here to place our aspects even if disagreeing, among the rest.

My opinion is that in science ''to be or not to be'' is valid and the terms ''amateur'' and ''scientist'' (as a paleontologist is) don't fit together. Thus, it seems to me irregular if seeing anywhere (par example) ''amateur doctor'', ''amateur professor'', ''amateur archtecture'' etc. And really I haven't met it officially written anywhere and I don't think anyone does. So, I believe that despite to the fact we touch every day and may contribute sometimes paleontology due to our hobby, we are not paleontologists to any degree. :(

Dave's case is an exception to the rule that confirms the rule and Dave's worth ;)

Maybe wrong but this is my aspect :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

I hear what you're saying, I think the reason there are no amateur doctors is because people wouldn't trust them with their lives - I know some 'professional' doctors that I wouldn't trust! But that's why we put the term 'amateur' in front of the word 'paleontologist', to distinguish us from those who have been sanctioned by an ivory-tower university - so that people rightly know who they're dealing with. But some of the doctors, I wonder how they ever got a degree.

Likewise I know some uncredentialed 'amateurs' who, like Dave, know as much as any professional about the subject and are respected and sought out for their knowledge by the pros, and have made some contributions to the science. What if someone studied enough to earn a degree but doesn't bother to jump through the hoops to get one? Or, vice versa, what if someone gets a degree in paleontology but switches their career path to something else? Are they still a paleontologist?

:zzzzscratchchin:

Anyway I would not put myself up against someone who has done that much study and work to get a degree and earns a living with that title, but I think Dave (and even you and me for knowing enough to bring the oddities and rarities to the attention of the pros) deserve at least the title 'amateur paleontologist'!

:geek:

I hear what you're saying, I think the reason there are no amateur doctors is because people wouldn't trust them with their lives - I know some 'professional' doctors that I wouldn't trust! But that's why we put the term 'amateur' in front of the word 'paleontologist', to distinguish us from those who have been sanctioned by an ivory-tower university - so that people rightly know who they're dealing with. But some of the doctors, I wonder how they ever got a degree.

Likewise I know some uncredentialed 'amateurs' who, like Dave, know as much as any professional about the subject and are respected and sought out for their knowledge by the pros, and have made some contributions to the science. What if someone studied enough to earn a degree but doesn't bother to jump through the hoops to get one? Or, vice versa, what if someone gets a degree in paleontology but switches their career path to something else? Are they still a paleontologist?

:zzzzscratchchin:

Anyway I would not put myself up against someone who has done that much study and work to get a degree and earns a living with that title, but I think Dave (and even you and me for knowing enough to bring the oddities and rarities to the attention of the pros) deserve at least the title 'amateur paleontologist'!

:geek:

Those are nice thoughts, Eric! ;)

I think that an acceptable conclusion could be that I am possibly right with the typical and you with the essential side of this thread.

I thank so you for this discussion as Dave and TFF for giving us this chance :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis