Latest Drawer

Terry Dactyll

Heres the latest drawer of upper carboniferous material I have assembled for my collection... This time the fossils displayed come from 2 different UK temporary exposures including a specimen of the '''very''' rare Camptophyllia... I havent found all these myself this time... I traded for some of the nodular and shale specimens with a good friend to achieve a representative sample of another exposure to be able to compare with the flora and fauna of the material that I have been finding myself... Comparative studies of flora & fauna and also levels of preservation all add to the interest of collecting this coal measure material...

post-1630-0-95004400-1321726485_thumb.jpg

Camptophyllia...

post-1630-0-58762800-1321726504_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

How satisfying to assemble a collection representative of a place and time!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Love the display,do you have a case with drawers?

What size is the draw?

Collecting nice specimens is hard but displaying them nicely is an art,youve succeeded with both! :)

How satisfying to assemble a collection representative of a place and time!

Chas... Yep & Thanks, each exposure is a different snapshot of the past that unfolds in front of your eyes as you collect the fossils...I'm glad I focused on narrow fields of collecting I think its easier to succeed in some respects...

Love the display,do you have a case with drawers?

What size is the draw?

Collecting nice specimens is hard but displaying them nicely is an art,youve succeeded with both! :)

Steve... Thanks... It's my second cabinet of carb and its from a 15 drawer collectors cabinet thats about 5 foot tall with each drawer is about 26" square (for scale) I'm always forgetting scale lol...The drawers just evolve as you find the fossils really so not much planning involved and finding the specimens can take a year or so to fill one drawer...

Nice presentation, TD.. I am so cramped for fossil drawer space that I have been focusing on cramming them all in more than the aesthetics of it. I guess you're smart to focus on only one or a few local exposures... Do you glue your specimens down so they dont move when you open and close?

That is a pretty impressive drawer. How many do you have filled so far?

Lloyed... Thanks... I have over 20 drawers filled with upper carb material although I must have another 2000 nodules to chose from that didnt 'quite' make the grade...

If you have a spare drawer, I have a :ninja: case ready for it :drool: :Drool: :drool: :Drool:

this is the first time I see Camptophyllia in person. I knew just hits tracks :wub:

Nando... Yes its a '''very''' rare critter indeed... You should post some photo's of tracks I would like to see them...Even rarer still is the 'large' Camptophyllia...I think theres only 3 or 4 of these ever been found... Heres mine ID'd by the britsh carboniferous expert Dr Lyall Anderson...

post-1630-0-92084200-1321783262_thumb.jpg

Nice presentation, TD.. I am so cramped for fossil drawer space that I have been focusing on cramming them all in more than the aesthetics of it. I guess you're smart to focus on only one or a few local exposures... Do you glue your specimens down so they dont move when you open and close?

Wrangellian... Thanks... I think your right... The secret is to focus on quality not quantity...Thats why it can take me a year or so to fill a drawer...Some stuff makes it in sometimes thats not upto the quality based on being rare or unusual or the only material a specific exposure produces... If you get my drift... Some holes in the exposure have done hardly any fossils so you keep what it does produce purely as a record for those who may study this material in the future...

it's a terrific inspiration Steve as always, the way you label and display your fossils... makes me want to do a better job! The entire cabinet must be amazing, do you have a link to more photos?Thanks, Carmine :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Wow! That's awesome. To have access to the collecting sites you do.... the stuff dreams are made of!

Thanks for sharing.

Wrangellian... Thanks... I think your right... The secret is to focus on quality not quantity...Thats why it can take me a year or so to fill a drawer...Some stuff makes it in sometimes thats not upto the quality based on being rare or unusual or the only material a specific exposure produces... If you get my drift... Some holes in the exposure have done hardly any fossils so you keep what it does produce purely as a record for those who may study this material in the future...

Yes I know exactly, that's what I've been wrestling with lately, I like to have a varied collection so I couldn't bear to get rid of my non-local stuff but I need to be more selective - trouble is I've even heard some of the local experts say, if I can quote directly from the BCPA Newsletter (editor T. Bullard): "In my early years as a collector I found many fossils that I disregarded as being too ugly, too incomplete, or too boring to be worth keeping. Other fossils I collected and without labeling had soon forgot where they came from. It is only now, with experience, that I recognize their importance, and I regret my ignorance. Fossil collectors have a profound responsibility. All the fossils we collect, or discard, will never be found again, regardless of how common they may be. We have no way of knowing what information will be important to future paleontologists. It behooves us all, as the temporary custodians of this unique resource, to collect as intelligently and respectfully as we can. Having learned from past mistakes, I now collect everything I find, and keep notes in a small field book about the location and identity of the fossils."

These words have filled my room and my shed. I hear the provincial museum is also nearly full.

What do you do with the ones you dont put in the display drawers???

Edited by Wrangellian

do you have a link to more photos?Thanks, Carmine :)

Carmine... Thanks...Heres a few more drawers from that cabinet, they are probably on the forum somewhere already...

post-1630-0-63872500-1321806285_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-03060200-1321806454_thumb.jpg

post-1630-0-45541600-1321806594_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-66944200-1321806352_thumb.jpg

post-1630-0-76397000-1321806481_thumb.jpg

Wow! That's awesome. To have access to the collecting sites you do.... the stuff dreams are made of! Thanks for sharing.

Tim... Thanks...

if I can quote directly from the BCPA Newsletter (editor T. Bullard): "In my early years as a collector I found many fossils that I disregarded as being too ugly, too incomplete, or too boring to be worth keeping.

What do you do with the ones you dont put in the display drawers???

Wrangellian... Yes...Mr T Bullard certainly has a point... we all make mistakes although we will all have different experiences and subsequent learning curves and as a consequence...some will learn faster than others... My surplus material is stored away for trade at somepoint in the future if I ever see anything I would want... I have donated some to a museum as well...but the boundaries of my chosen collecting area's along with the quality of material I seek make trading a pretty difficult exercise to do though as you can probably imagine... Unless its something really special whats the point... I reckon the 'best quality' fossils stay with those that collect them and what comes onto the open market is very often second grade... with that in mind I like to find my own if I can...

Do you glue your specimens down so they dont move when you open and close?
Wrangellian... I forgot to add the fossils are stabilised using 'Blutack' a putty that remains soft that is used to put posters and things on the wall... after a couple of years it goes hard and loses its adhesive qualities so I 're-do' a drawer a night until they are done... The labels are bluetcked as well so nothings perminant... Edited by Terry Dactyll

Quite enough before I had commented Steve's ammonites collection saying:

''This is the Terry Dactyll's School of Art''

I consider this topic simply as the floristic confirmation! B):)

Best regards

Astrinos

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Wrangellian... I forgot to add the fossils are stabilised using 'Blutack' a putty that remains soft that is used to put posters and things on the wall... after a couple of years it goes hard and loses its adhesive qualities so I 're-do' a drawer a night until they are done... The labels are bluetcked as well so nothings perminant...

Thanks. You certainly have museum-class specimens and artfully arranged, very nice. I think I would go nuts with having to redo the sticky stuff, myself. I put everything in small boxes or just on top of a soft white material if too big for boxes, and it looks nice enough, but of course I'm always rearranging the fossils. Still in process of 'accessioning' them and sorting good from spares.

I also meant to ask, Where do you get your drawers, or do you build them, and what kind of critter is Camptophyllia? [i could do a search but it's easier to ask you!]

I consider this topic simply as the floristic confirmation! B):)

Best regards

Astrinos

Astrinos... Thanks... a great acholade from a man with a museum collection of your calibre...

I think I would go nuts with having to redo the sticky stuff, myself.

I also meant to ask, Where do you get your drawers, or do you build them, and what kind of critter is Camptophyllia? [i could do a search but it's easier to ask you!]

Redoing the blutack in the drawers every 3 years or so takes me roughly half an hour a drawer... I just do one a night until they are done... I bet you spend that weekly re-arranging your plastic boxes... :D

Camptophyllia... They have no idea as yet what it was... If you search the forum you will find a topic where I had one of mine CT scanned ...To find out for sure they need to find one with a leg and then can decide if it was an insect etc... One guy scanned the dozen or so known specimens that exist to study this but didnt succeed... although theres been a few found since then ;)

PS... The drawers... You got to keep an eye out for them when your running out of space as they are not easy to find but usually ebay you can drop on...

Nando... Yes its a '''very''' rare critter indeed... You should post some photo's of tracks I would like to see them...Even rarer still is the 'large' Camptophyllia...I think theres only 3 or 4 of these ever been found... Heres mine ID'd by the britsh carboniferous expert Dr Lyall Anderson...

post-1630-0-92084200-1321783262_thumb.jpg

Steve, I am sorry, no photos at that time. It was more than 12 years ago in Joggins or Miguasha in Canada. Here a pdf that maybe could be useful to you

http://www.paulselde...mptophyllia.pdf

Nando

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Nando... many thanks for the link to the PDF... I will have a good read (or look at the pictures lol) soon as I get chance...

Redoing the blutack in the drawers every 3 years or so takes me roughly half an hour a drawer...

Have you ever tried museum wax? I don't believe it ever needs to be re-done.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

tell me more about museum wax :blink:

It is a microcrystalline wax used by many museums to keep small items from moving (also called "earthquake wax"). It is de-mountable, reusable, and does not dry out. I found one website with useful information: LINK

Auspex... Thanks... I wasnt aware of this product and I see they do a putty as well which would be better suited to my needs...Quake hold, Quake secure and Earthquake putty came up when I googled... I have redone the blutack earlier in the year so its certainly another option in a few years time when the Blutak dries out...

Heres a couple of more drawers including a critter drawer... you can only fit so many photo's in one post...I used to keep critter material seperate but I think they look better all mixed together with the plant...

post-1630-0-39454800-1321953768_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-30125100-1321953791_thumb.jpg

post-1630-0-34982400-1321953807_thumb.jpg