Children And Fossiling

Kehbe

Just thought I would post a pic or two of one of my grandkids, LuLu, working on exposing a piece of Horn Coral. She is learning fast and we are taking this journey together! post-7046-0-80958800-1322414674_thumb.jpgpost-7046-0-83700000-1322414683_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

LuLu is six and a half years old! Her sisters are six and a half, (twin), and 9 years old and they enjoy fossiling also! LuLu has done all the prep work on this Horn Coral by herself with a little bit of direction from Grandpa, and I also am just learning too. Shortly after we took these pictures, the piece we were trying to extract broke in half. post-7046-0-47000200-1322416486_thumb.jpg

Oh well, we will continue working on the rest of it and maybe glue it back together when we get it out. We might go to a collection site this afternoon where I have found quite a few chrinoid stems and see what we can dig up!

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

That's impressive! I've just started doing a lot of prep work myself (for the most part I didn't need to before because much of what I found was already exposed), and it takes a LOT of patience!

I always like seeing other children with the same hobby. :D

I agree! :P

Edited by TMNH

Awesome! What more can you want out of a hobby, especially for kids...exercise, science, observation skills, patience! I know I pass up a lot of good things hunting with my boys, making sure they don't step over a cliff or something, but they are the better for it!

Awesome! My kid found 2 crabs, 10 echinoids and a partial pycnodont plate yesterday "all by himself". I tend to take snacks and drinks along on these outings, then cheeseburgers and ice cream on the way home. If the site of the day affords the opportunity, we take his bike, BB gun, fishing rod and/or remote controlled airplane along since he's not quite as prepared to focus for hours on end as the Old Man. That way we maximize time afield and both enjoy the whole time. Proper weather gear is also the difference between a long, fun trip and a short, not so fun one. Thusly, I took a knit hat and extra coat for him yesterday, as well as kid sized gloves and knee pads. I'd hate to see him use fossil oyster valves for knee pads again. And the words "get as muddy as you want" often lead to a long, memorable day....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Excellent tips Danwoehr! The knee pads are going to be included for ME next trip out and the kids already have them for riding thier bikes! I would like to find some nice thin gloves so we are not taking them off and on to pick up small specimens but that will still keep the meat hooks warm! We went out yesterday afternoon and at 45 degrees, it wasn't long and the little one was ready to go! We only stayed about 45 minutes but we had a pretty productive hunt anyway.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/25681-112711-with-lulu-and-my-wife/page__fromsearch__1

Lots of crinoid stems and a sweet little trilobite! Thanks again for the ideas! :)

Edited by Kehbe

Charles Darwin

Well we find and sell these microfossils, and my friend's kid, who is twelve, just LOVES digging through the matrix and picking out a couple of specimens to keep for herself in a tiny jar... it's really cool sitting with her and talking about school or whatever while we dig through the matrix... I think it's a great activity for kids... and I'll never get over how amazed she is every time she finds something we can't identify right away!

SANY0022.JPG

SANY0014.JPG

i suggest full gloves in winter with reinforced palms for oyster crawling, then cut off the tips of the thumb and index finger to accommodate your dominant claw...

Grüße,

and fireworks... always bring fireworks... and whatever else mom won't let kids do...

Grüße,

Our summer vacations are always seemingly to a fossil area of some sort. The most special memories have been when we discover something together as a family.

• 2 months later...

about 15 years ago I started taking my son (8) and daughter (5) out 2-3 times a summer to some local creeks to look for horn corals. Big reason was to give my wife an afternoon to herself. I can still hear my daughters little voice calling out "got one!". We'd skip rocks and catch salamanders and crawdads. It was a real memory maker. My daughter last wwent out with me when she was 16 - a young deer followed us for about a 1/2 mile, getting within 10 feet of her while she was scrunched down rummaging through a pile rocks. Although neither go out with nowadays, we still talk about it occassionally and I won't be surprised if one of them goes out with their own kids someday.

My sons, now almost 17 and 20, go with me occasionally. They never developed the passion for collecting like I did, so when they go with me I really treasure it and make each of our outings as special as I can. Of course I always try to remember to snap a couple pics too. Nowadays when they go, I think its more because they know I want them to go rather than a desire to actually do the colelcting. But once we're there we have fun. I noticed we also tend to do a lot of talking, mostly about stuff they like to talk about, so thats good. I don't seed the beach with teeth anymore because they are too smart for that now, but I do still "miss" a tooth every now and then to make sure they find some nice stuff. Of course, they're always suspicious of that too because they know dad doesn't miss much, so I have to be sly about it.

Daryl.

Youngsters seem to be "Fossil Magnets"

Take them fossil hunting...

They will find fossils that you have only dreamed about finding :P

:D My profile pic of a possible mosasaur skull frag. was handed to me by my daughter with the old "dad is this anything?" :Bananasaur:

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I prefer to believe that "kid luck" is a function of their younger eyes, lack of visual prejudice, and a closer proximity to the ground. It does me in all the time! :)

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Life is an occasion, rise to it."

--Mr. Magorium, "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"

http://​www.johnsdiscoveries.com

6 1/2 years old??? and that kind of preparation?????? my goly, she's even better than me!! :o :o :o

I showed her how to use the hammer and chisel and where to place the chisel to get the matrix to break away from the piece, (explained to her the grain of the rock) and she was off to the races! She has a soft touch! She worked on this piece for four hours straight that day. She was heartbroken when it broke. I don't know if you have or have had kids but to get a 6 1/2 year old to do ANYTHING for four hours straight is unheard of! She loves fossiling!

Bear with me, I have to tell this story. ;)

LuLu and her sisters are all in girl scouts. About three weeks ago they were all excited because their troop was taking a field trip to the Swope Park, Kansas City Zoo and the focus was "Geology and Fossils" Well, after walking around the zoo and learning about the local strata and such, (Swope Formation) they all went inside for more activities. They were all told that they were going to hunt for fossils now and into the auditorium they went where the staff had set up several childrens plastic swimming pools filled with dirt and seeded with various plastic and plaster fossils of course in pristine condition! LuLu walked in and saw that and folded her arms across her chest and boasted, "This isn't fossil hunting, I know, I fossil hunt with my Grandpa :P and it's not like this!" She then proceeded to inform the staff that "fossils don't look like that when you find them 'for real', you have to clean 'em up!" :rofl:

They each got to bring home their finds and the staff had at least made sure the 'fossils' were Pennsylvanian, brachs, crinoids and gastropods and I applaud the zoo wholeheartedly for doing as much as they do to encourage kids to learn more about the earth and it's inhabitants, past and present! Okay well, sorry it was so long but thanks for listening to my story :) I got a smile just from telling it to you all :)

Edited by Kehbe

Charles Darwin

They each got to bring home their finds and the staff had at least made sure the 'fossils' were Pennsylvanian, brachs, crinoids and gastropods

I'm just glad to hear they didn't limit 'fossils' to dinosaurs. I love the terrible lizards, but for goodness sake, there is more to the prehistoric world.

Context is critical.

and fireworks... always bring fireworks... and whatever else mom won't let kids do...

There is a short cut to the desert that I only take when my 11 year old daughter comes fossiling as it involves driving on a very sharp sideways incline and I always tell her to "hold your breath" and she has a five minute giggle when we reach the flat bit of land. Its a daddy and daughter moment

Youngsters seem to be "Fossil Magnets"

Take them fossil hunting...

They will find fossils that you have only dreamed about finding :P

That is so true. The best Gastro in my collection was "is this anything"....

CHEERS

This is possibly one of the best threads made, lately. I can't agree more with everyone.

Time spent in the outdoors with your kids and grandkids is one of life's little pleasures. The memories made are far more important than any fossil you would find by yourself.

med_gallery_3406_842_70661.jpg

Kid on your left is 8 here, kid on the right is 18 here, and the kid in the middle kills people if you mention her age....so let's just say she is still my high school sweetheart!!!!

A good day hunting is, well..... a GOOD DAY.

This is possibly one of the best threads made, lately. I can't agree more with everyone.

Time spent in the outdoors with your kids and grandkids is one of life's little pleasures. The memories made are far more important than any fossil you would find by yourself.

med_gallery_3406_842_70661.jpg

Kid on your left is 8 here, kid on the right is 18 here, and the kid in the middle kills people if you mention her age....so let's just say she is still my high school sweetheart!!!!

:D

One of my most favorite topics,

I truly feel blessed to have stumbled onto this hobby. All of the vacation pictures I have of myself over the past I dont know how many years have a reacurring theme. Here's mike looking under a rock, Here's mike with a snake he found, here's mike digging ten foot holes in the beach chasing fiddler crabs. I look at those pictures with fond memories, mostly because right beside me is one of my three boys holding a shovel or laughing at my funny face when the crawdad gets me right between the fingers. The most valued of my treasures is the time spent with my wife and boys. Not to get too sappy, but it's true.

post-5973-0-96206900-1328275947_thumb.jpg

post-5973-0-05134400-1328276945_thumb.jpg