Children And Fossiling

Kehbe

One of my most favorite topics,

I truly feel blessed to have stumbled onto this hobby. All of the vacation pictures I have of myself over the past I dont know how many years have a reacurring theme. Here's mike looking under a rock, Here's mike with a snake he found, here's mike digging ten foot holes in the beach chasing fiddler crabs. I look at those pictures with fond memories, mostly because right beside me is one of my three boys holding a shovel or laughing at my funny face when the crawdad gets me right between the fingers. The most valued of my treasures is the time spent with my wife and boys. Not to get too sappy, but it's true.

Nice photos flyersfan! Good times! :) I love that shot of the creek! Looks peaceful, quiet and serene back in the woods there! Great time to spend with family :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Nice photos flyersfan! Good times! :) I love that shot of the creek! Looks peaceful, quiet and serene back in the woods there! Great time to spend with family :)

It's my favorite spot to be at, especially in the summer when everything is in full bloom, and the only thing you can here are the birds,insects, water running and the laugh of a five year old as he splashes in the mud.

Two more photos of my crazy family I found hiding :)

post-5973-0-73970600-1328291114_thumb.jpg

post-5973-0-80756600-1328291183_thumb.jpg

Edited by flyersfan805

I thought I would add a picture of another grandchild workin on fossils! This is Brooklyn! She was cleaning some of the stuff we found the other morning! She is not to keen on the prepping but she sure loves to scrub with that toothbrush! :)

post-7046-0-11963900-1328279869_thumb.jpg

She did however try to do a little bit with the engraver but hasn't quite got the hang of it yet :) The red shirt and little hand behind her is my only grand"son" Issac! Believe it or not, of all 5 grandkids, he is probably the least interested in fossils! He would rather play baseball than hunt fossils and thats okay too! :)

post-7046-0-98918700-1328279886_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Wonderful family pictures. Thank you for posting them. They are similar to the rock strata images, which also show context.

I have really enjoyed reading all of these.. Those kids and grandkids will

remember those trips one day with great fondness as they grow into adulthood..

You are making such good memories and I am so happy to see so many strong sharing

families.. Great fun too! :)

Welcome to the forum!

There are two categories of parent-child fossil outings:

1. Fossil enthusiasts who drag their kids with them.

2. Fossil enthusiasts who drag their parents with them.

I started out as #2. :)

How about everyone else?

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

It's my favorite spot to be at, especially in the summer when everything is in full bloom, and the only thing you can here are the birds,insects, water running and the laugh of a five year old as he splashes in the mud.

Two more photos of my crazy family I found hiding :)

We put in a pool a few years ago ... but as I am often reminded the pool doesn't have shark teeth! I am so excited that my kids can be kids and I can even get a science lesson snuck in!!

...I'd rather be digging...Life

I started as #2 but now I'm lucky to be #1. My boys are better than I am at finding good fossils! They are 8 and 11 now but we have been huntin together for a few years. My daughter (now 5) likes to find shark teeth too. When she was 3 we took her to Big Brook. One of her big brothers gave her a nice Belemnite that she promptly chucked into the stream! She then proceeded to pick up a large quartz cobble and proclaim it better because it was bigger! Of course Daddy had to carry her bucket of stones out for her that day. :rofl:

I'm #2b. That is, a "dragged" parent. Albeit a happy one. That's why I don't post any of my "finds." :)

I'd have to contend for a third option. John and I have always been "fossil buddies". It's the rest of our family that might get reluctantly involved from time to time.

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Life is an occasion, rise to it."

--Mr. Magorium, "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"

http://​www.johnsdiscoveries.com

Ima one that loves my two :lol:

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

"Dad...Is this anything?" :fainting-smiley:

Indy you nailed it :fistbump:

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.