New Hunting Spot Brachio Lips!

Kehbe

I am constantly on the lookout for new places to hunt and I don't always know what strata I am looking at but I am trying to learn. I spent my lunch hour today checking out a spot I had been thinking about for a couple weeks now and I finally had enough time to get up there. I say 'up there' because from where I work, everywhere is pretty much up! Anyways, this stretch of exposed area extends for about 6 city blocks and the road rises from north to south a couple hundred feet or so and you can see the different layers dissapearing under the ground as you go up the hill.

bottom of the hill post-7046-0-05200700-1322801458_thumb.jpg

quarter of the way up post-7046-0-32182700-1322801494_thumb.jpg

halfway up the hill post-7046-0-92081000-1322801524_thumb.jpg

three quarters post-7046-0-75430300-1322801625_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Top of the hill post-7046-0-94058900-1322801733_thumb.jpg

I spent five minutes at the top of the hill and found a couple things right on top when I first walked up, always a good sign!

The very first piece was this brachiopod hinge piece. I have found quite a few brachios but always just the one valve, to bad this one is short from front to back. I have to take a few more pictures. I will post them later.

post-7046-0-27695100-1322801832_thumb.jpg as found

post-7046-0-15006000-1322801940_thumb.jpg brushed off a bit, looks like a pair of lips! :)

I also found a piece of crinoid stem that I am going to post in that post about 'bite marks' because it looks kind of like bore holes in it. I'll return to this post and try to put a link in. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/25387-crinoid-stem-tooth-marks/page__st__20__gopid__281916

Hey thanks for looking. Any help with what layers I am working in here would be much appreciated. The top of the hill is at about 850 ft above sea level and the bottom of the hill is at about 600 ft above sea level. I also have latitude and longitude coordinates at both top and bottom if anyone can tell me that with that info can I figure out what strata I'm in?

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Those are some pretty outcroppings. They are, by pic #:

1. Cement City Limestone, I think (or Westerville Limestone)

2. Iola Formation (Paola ls., Muncie Creek sh., Raytown ls.)

3. Iola Fm. again

4. Argentine Limestone (with Liberty Memorial Shale covered in foreground)

5. Argentine Limestone

Happy hunting....

Context is critical.

Thanks Missourian... I get confused when layers are covered and/or missing and it is becoming obvious to me that not all strata are uniform across the board. I have found when looking at roadcuts that a layer that is present on one side of the road may not be present even as close as just across the road to the other side. Uneven terrain when that layer formed and was layed down on top of the previous layer would/could account for this I suppose. The explanations you have given in other posts about how and why a certain layer looks and is composed the way it is has helped immensly.

Edited by Kehbe

Charles Darwin

Thanks.

I must say I'm intrigued by the thickness and banded appearance of the Muncie Creek in your photo.

Context is critical.

• 1 month later...

One of the better things about fossil collecting is the scenery. Great pictures. Hope it provides lots of fossils for you. By the way, judging by your pictures, I would say the layer half way up has a lot of iron deposits.

Edited by Sharkbyte

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

One of the better things about fossil collecting is the scenery. Great pictures. Hope it provides lots of fossils for you.

Already has sharkbyte! And I have just skimmed the surface! I can see this being a spot to return to year after year and it producing new treasures faithfully! And the iron deposits you speak of are deposited in such an unusual formation, straight, uniform and long and appear to have a coating of some sort on them! ;)

Looks like a good spot

hey st41lion, I found a small trilobite pygidium embedded in matrix in the 'top of the hill' pic. Wasn't expecting it and wasn't looking for it! You never know where you might run into one!

Edited by Kehbe

Charles Darwin

Cool ! Hopefully I will find one soon. I am sure I wasnt looking close enough in the past because I didnt realize how small they could be till I found this forum. Gonna try and get out tomorrow. Just too cold today! Keep posting your stuff it's very interesting and posted well. Thanks John