Green Eocene Nautiloid

Al Dente

Several years ago I brought home a limestone block that had a green nautiloid partially exposed. I finally extracted it the other day and was surprised that there was a pleasing gloss to it. The green color is from a glauconite coating on the outside of the fossil. It is Eutrephoceras carolinense from the Eocene Castle Hayne Formation.

post-2301-0-77148300-1323028283_thumb.jpg post-2301-0-00479400-1323028299_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

awesome Al, is this glauconite coating a frequent occurence in the area?

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

awesome Al, is this glauconite coating a frequent occurence in the area?

There is a bit of glauconite in most of the formations I collect in North Carlolina but usually not coating fossils like this. I occasionally see it coating echinoids but not where it is glossy like this example.

You cant beat a nice nautilus :) ... Is the green layer just on the surface or is all the fossil that colour do you think?...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

That is a really nice specimen, and green too! Congratulations on extracting it essentially whole from the limestone block.

Most of our Eocene marine deposites here in Texas contain significant quantities of green glauconite sand sized particles but I have never seen a glauconite coated fossil from the deposites.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

You cant beat a nice nautilus :) ... Is the green layer just on the surface or is all the fossil that colour do you think?...

It is just a thin coating along with a little iron staining. The matrix is typical Castle Hayne Formation color which varies from off white to yellowish at this location.

Interesting find, I didnt know you could find those in the castle hayne, I guess I will have to pay closer attention to it. I am usually just searching for what lies directly on top of it!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Those two are nice enough but that green one is incredible. Years ago, I received a pretty good one in a trade but yours are great. I was told it's hard to find a decent one. Would you expect to find a decent one every couple of trips or is it rarer than that?

Jess

Here are a couple that show a more normal coloration for the Castle Hayne Formation.

post-2301-0-58972700-1323121737_thumb.jpg

Those two are nice enough but that green one is incredible. Years ago, I received a pretty good one in a trade but yours are great. I was told it's hard to find a decent one. Would you expect to find a decent one every couple of trips or is it rarer than that?

Jess

There have been three species of nautiloids described from the Castle Hayne Formation. E. berryi was first describe in 1947 from a single specimen. The other two, E. carolinense and Aturia alabamensis are fairly common. The problem with nautiloids from this formation is that they readily fall apart. I find individual segments almost every trip. Finding specimens with a few attached segments isn't unusual but finding complete specimens including the living chamber is not common at all. I have never found a complete Aturia specimen but I have seen a couple in collections. I have heard of people extracting whole ones with a rock saw to avoid having them fall apart. Aturia can also be found in the Miocene Pungo River Formation at Lee Creek but they are usually individual segments.

It is just a thin coating along with a little iron staining. The matrix is typical Castle Hayne Formation color which varies from off white to yellowish at this location.

If it was a little deeper I would of said get it polished up but if the layer is thin it could spoil it....I think it looks fabulous as it is....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

That is so beautiful. Hope you find more.

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen, and thinking what nobody has thought.

Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

I'd like to say thanks for your timely post Al, I wouldn't have even glanced at this colored echinoid previously, now it is a happy new member of our fossil family - looking forward to IDing, the only info given was "Southeastern NC" :)

post-4577-0-71455400-1323388296_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-14148200-1323388298_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

I'd like to say thanks for your timely post Al, I wouldn't have even glanced at this colored echinoid previously, now it is a happy new member of our fossil family - looking forward to IDing, the only info given was "Southeastern NC" :)

Nice color. I think your echinoid is Echinolampas appendiculata, most likely from the Castle Hayne Formation.