North Sulphur River Saturday Who Wants To Go?

feeshy1

I've been thinking about it, too. I'm gonna keep an eye on the wx today to see what happens. They're calling for possibly some heavy rain today and tonight. If we get some heavy rain, the river might be too high.

Someone posted an interesting website the other day that shows the river level near Cooper, TX.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=fwd&gage=cppt2&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

The current chart shows how quickly the river can rise and fall. Look at Wednesday, 25 Jan. The river went to 30' and back down again very quickly.

I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see. If it looks promising, I'll pm you as early as possible. It would be nice to meet another forum member.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Gosh darn it! (Hey! - Im getting good at kiddie cussing!) I have my daughter on Saturday, and at 6, she's not quite ready for the North Sulphur River!

Good Luck! I hope you find that plesiosaur that's hiding in that river somewhere!

gitcha a papoose brent and make it a family affair!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks for that link... Very good info... Amazing how it can rise and fall that fast!

If the forecast is correct maybe not such a good idea for a couple days

Edited by Katlinmaye

Thanks for that link... Very good info... Amazing how it can rise and fall that fast!

If the forecast is correct maybe not such a good idea for a couple days

Wait & see...wait & see. I guess that's all we can do.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Last weekend the water was still high, but it was really the mud that was the real killer. I was sinking up to my knees on a regular basis. I think I'll give it a little while before I get back out there, especially with more rain in the forecast....

I was thinking of going Saturday myself but seeing how the water is. Want to break in my new boots.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Gosh darn it! (Hey! - Im getting good at kiddie cussing!) I have my daughter on Saturday, and at 6, she's not quite ready for the North Sulphur River!

Good Luck! I hope you find that plesiosaur that's hiding in that river somewhere!

My daughter when she was younger loved the North Sulphur River because she could play in the mud! Now that she's a teenager...not so much. Take her, she will enjoy it!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

If you can keep them out of the deeper water, they sure do have fun! I put John's feet in trash bags to act as "waders", and he's happy as a clam. Little if anything deters him--except for the guys shooting out at the 904 the other day. I yelled at them to warm them we were down in the river, and they packed it up and drove off--and then he was fine.

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Life is an occasion, rise to it."

--Mr. Magorium, "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"

http://​www.johnsdiscoveries.com

If we get anything over an inch this evening with the ground so saturated I'm sure it will be on the rise and muddy water. So far we have only had a couple of showers, I would make a decision after the 10 o'clock news tonight if I was you. I just started a new job this week, days off are Sunday and Monday. Would love to join you all for a hunt sometime.

so far im in.

PUBLICATIONS

Author

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

Education

I just got back from Paris, TX and there was a toad strangler. It's already forecast at 5.5 ft.

Anna

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Life is an occasion, rise to it."

--Mr. Magorium, "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"

http://​www.johnsdiscoveries.com

maybe sunday or monday guys .I started the topic but had to open a new account for login probs....r u still gonna go tunnel rat?

right now its almost3 ft probably not gonna get much higher than that

Man, I've seen so much great stuff outa there that I'd love to go... an awful long day trip for me though. Good luck to whomever is able to get out and collect.

I just got back from Paris, TX and there was a toad strangler. It's already forecast at 5.5 ft.

Anna

Is that a snake???

went this morning,

got about maybe 10 yards or so around the steps. All got was a beat up 10cm X 15cm Exogyra ponderossa (weathered).

and left a gastro.

Underestimated the water movement...Im wet.

PUBLICATIONS

Author

Author

Quotes

Education

Didn't get to go sat. so bright and early manana I'm gonna brave the mighty Sulphur and try to stay dry! Can't wait ...wish me luck

My husband and I are heading out there tomorrow(Tuesday) with our waders and the kayaks, even if we don't get to hunt at least we can enjoy the ride.

Last weekend the water was still high, but it was really the mud that was the real killer. I was sinking up to my knees on a regular basis. I think I'll give it a little while before I get back out there, especially with more rain in the forecast....

We did the river on way to Tucson this year. It was pretty dry before the last two rainy periods. We found a ton of Exogyra while there, and lots of interesting other mollusks in the slabs in creek. Mud was much less worse, but I know what you mean have been there when mud is like that. Not fun.