Some Pennsylvanian Shark Teeth

Missourian

Many nice shark teeth have been shown on this forum. I didn't want to be left out.... :)

Here are a few Pennsylvanian teeth I've collected over the years. I'm not sure if all the names are still valid, or even accurate. They were all found in the Kansas City Group in the immediate Kansas City metro area unless otherwise specified.

Cladodus

Winterset Limestone

Kansas City, Missouri:

post-6808-0-22357100-1328780750_thumb.jpg

Petalodus

Raytown Limestone

Shawnee, Kansas:

post-6808-0-38915300-1328780583_thumb.jpg

(Slight restoration on shaded cusp)

Peripristis:

post-6808-0-93146700-1328780622_thumb.jpg

Peripristis

Argentine Limestone

Kansas City, Missouri:

post-6808-0-80402800-1323254615_thumb.jpg

Orodus

Wyandotte Formation (small tooth)

Stanley, Kansas (small tooth):

post-6808-0-06122900-1328780782_thumb.jpg

Campodus

Wyandotte Formation

Shawnee, Kansas:

post-6808-0-51057100-1328780831_thumb.jpg

Campodus

Hickory Creek Shale

Johnson County, Kansas:

post-6808-0-69143300-1328780847_thumb.jpg

Agassizodus

Stark Shale

Kansas City, Missouri:

post-6808-0-33416600-1328780891_thumb.jpg

Deltodus:

post-6808-0-68073000-1328780919_thumb.jpg

Sandalodus

Argentine Limestone (large tooth)

Parkville, Missouri (large tooth):

post-6808-0-89791300-1328780945_thumb.jpg

Janassa

Argentine Limestone (large tooth)

Riverside, Missouri (large tooth):

post-6808-0-18580900-1328781005_thumb.jpg

Xenacanthus

Upper Cherokee Group

Knob Noster, Missouri:

post-6808-0-35697200-1328781051_thumb.jpg

Edestus?:

post-6808-0-22155200-1328781087_thumb.jpg

Unidentified crusher tooth

Winterset Limestone

Kansas City, Missouri:

post-6808-0-81957300-1328781159_thumb.jpg

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

since form follows function, it would be interesting to see the difference in diet between these critters...and yes quite the superlative assemblage of enamel goin on at your end...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Wow.

Cleanup on aisle three; bring the mop!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Excellent collection Missourian :) A Pennsylvanian shark tooth is on my fossil bucket list :) unless this qualifies! post-7046-0-95463400-1328798513_thumb.jpg I really don't think it is a tooth but I sure got excited when I found it and before I cleaned it up and I was certain it was a tooth because of the shape. Unfortunatly, it has absolutely no enamel and no definition between root and tooth. Thoughts?

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Wow That is an interesting collection with a wide range of species :wub:

thanks for posting

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

These teeth really showcase the amazing Paleozoic Sharks.

What an incredible assemblage of Pennsylvanian fossils.

Thanks for posting Missourian! :D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Very nice collection. I love the Xenacanth tooth from Knob Nosters. It even has the central tiny cusp. As you can imagine, paleozoic shark teeth systematics is a mess, for the same reason it is with mesozoic and later, except we have almost no modern comparisons. It is possible some tooth forms represent several species or one and in turn that several forms represent heterodonty for one species. You definitely have a nice Claodont-type tooth, Xenacanth, several Eugeneodontid including a nice Petalodont tooth.

I do have a few articulated sharks from the Mecca and Huspuckney shale that show some interesting associated dentition - that have been described by White some time ago.

Very nice!

-PzF

Looks good!

I knew this thead would make some waves. :)

That petalodus is really sweet! How long did it take to gather this collection?

I gathered these twenty years ago over a span of about five years. By the way, the Petalodus came from the Raytown at Holliday.

Context is critical.

A Pennsylvanian shark tooth is on my fossil bucket list :) unless this qualifies! .... I really don't think it is a tooth but I sure got excited when I found it and before I cleaned it up and I was certain it was a tooth because of the shape. Unfortunatly, it has absolutely no enamel and no definition between root and tooth. Thoughts?

It’s hard to say. Can you make out any bony texture?

Context is critical.

Excellent collection Missourian :) A Pennsylvanian shark tooth is on my fossil bucket list :) unless this qualifies! post-7046-0-95463400-1328798513_thumb.jpg I really don't think it is a tooth but I sure got excited when I found it and before I cleaned it up and I was certain it was a tooth because of the shape. Unfortunatly, it has absolutely no enamel and no definition between root and tooth. Thoughts?

Looks like a knob off a cephalopod. From Indy's website: http://www.lakeneosho.org/page32.html

As you can imagine, paleozoic shark teeth systematics is a mess, for the same reason it is with mesozoic and later, except we have almost no modern comparisons. It is possible some tooth forms represent several species or one and in turn that several forms represent heterodonty for one species.

I’d like to see a reconstruction of the shark mouth containing these oddities.

I do have a few articulated sharks from the Mecca and Huspuckney shale that show some interesting associated dentition - that have been described by White some time ago.

In what area can one find sharks in the Hushpuckney? Besides conodonts, I haven’t found much in it in KC. The overlying Stark, on the other hand, has been fairly generous.

Context is critical.

What a fantastic collection.. Those teeth are so varied and the Pennsylvanian age teeth are

my favorites! You have some really excellent ones too!! eat%20popcorn.gif

Welcome to the forum!

Wow! Love this collection of Paleozoic teeth. Of course a little partial to the Peripristis! Truly fantastic specimens thank you for posting.

Thanks for showing us this awesome collection, Missourian! :drool:

Superb!!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You certainly got me keeping my eyes open for these, Missourian.

Rookie question, though. Are they usually pretty restricted to certain strata, or is there potential for finding them in any layer?

Thanks for the thread!

Steve

Rookie question, though. Are they usually pretty restricted to certain strata, or is there potential for finding them in any layer?

They seem to turn up on the surfaces of limestones where they interface with shales. The top of the Raytown produces some, including the Petalodus shown here (I think). They are also found in limestones like the brachiopod-filled stuff at Holliday. I would think they'd turn up in many different layers. In which layer did you find your Deltodus?

Context is critical.

Liberty memorial. But being so light, I figured it could possibly have eroded out above, and been carried down. Just a consideration, though.

Edited by Bullsnake

Steve

Is it possible that the tooth you have labeled as Edestus is actually a Peripristis? The conules on that specimen look similar to your Peripristis teeth.

Thanks for posting these pics, I've never seen most of these species before. Is stuff like this captured in a book somewhere? I was thrown off by the name "Pennsylvanian teeth" thinking they were from the state of Pennsylvania, but instead see they are from that age of material from Kansas. Learn something new everyday here on TFF!

Daryl.

I knew this thead would make some waves. :)

I gathered these twenty years ago over a span of about five years. By the way, the Petalodus came from the Raytown at Holliday.

I almost just grabbed my coat to run out there, then I put my toe outside...TOO COLD!?!?!

This is a great thread to get psyched up for the hunt!!!

ps...My 6 year old just poked his head over my shoulder and asked if the petalodus was a megalodon tooth :)

Edited by grokfish