Anyone Ever Find A 7 Inch Meg?

iamsharky

Ok, one of my to dos on my bucket list, very near the top, is to find a 7 inch Meg in good condition. I read or was told of one such find and I believe his name is Henry. He was diving in SC and his knee scrubbed something on the bottom of the river, so he reached back behind him to see what it was and pulled out a 7+ inch meg!! Any similar stories of 7 inch meg finds would be awesome!!

Edited by iamsharky

Miocene/Eocene

I am found one one summer but then I woke up finding it was only a dream I had had... :) They are very rare if they exist at all. Most in about the 5- 6 inch+ category. There is a max to how big they get I am sure. megateeth finds tons of teeth not sure he has even found a 7 incher and odds are he would find one sooner than any of the rest of us would.. Jeff/Tarheel

According to Megateeth.com the biggest he ever found was 6.94. Close, but no dice.

I have come to collect teeth, and chew bubble gum .... and I'm all out of bubble gum.

RickNC, right on the money...there's a pic on page 92 of Megalodon Hunting the hunter.. it takes to hands to hold it 7 1/4 inch Morgan river south carolina, private collection of Gordon Hubbell...

well the book says one of the biggest ever found...

A handful of 7"+ teeth have been found.

Sorry just not up on Max Meg size (open mouth insert foot) Any meg to me is trip makers or yearly or lifetime prizes to be displayed in my collection. But they are rare just should not have included the exist part :( Again let me take my foot out of my mouth... Jeff

The biggest found so far is 7 7/8". The discovery channel is offering $1 million to PHOTOGRAPH the first 8 incher to be found.

That's right. You get the million AND get to keep the tooth!

Edited by Boneman007

Do you have a reference for the 7 7/8? Seems bigger tham what i have heard. And the second question is if it has restoration to tha root or tip. Either can disqualify the length a speculative

The biggest found so far is 7 7/8". The discovery channel is offering $1 million to PHOTOGRAPH the first 8 incher to be found.

7 7/8"???? Do you have any evidence of this 7 7/8" tooth? Pictures? Any restoration?

I'd love to see a 7 7/8 in person.. that's gotta be just massive.

I have come to collect teeth, and chew bubble gum .... and I'm all out of bubble gum.

I read an article or saw a show talking about the Discovery channel's offer of a $1 million to photograph an 8 incher. They stated that 7 7/8ths (unrepaired) was the largest and showed a picture. I don't remember where I saw it, however.

I thought that a cool million was a heck of a payment considering you got to keep the tooth!

My dad, Bob Ernst, found a 7 1/8" at Sharktooth Hill (at least that's what he said, I've never seen it). I do not know the disposition of it - either at the San Diego NHM, The Smithsonian, or sold to a private collector at the Tuscon show. I'll try to dig up a picture.

Siteseer might be able to corroborate this claim.

Since I've still not found a meg, I'll use my beginners' luck to find an 8 incher!

7.7/8 is suppose to the record holder so far and I was told the last time it was sold it went for 30,000.00 big ones. Henry C. did have a 7.1/4 or 7. 3/8. I talked to him at the Fossil show Sat. and he said he had just sold it. Wish I had gotting Pic's of it.

I believe this is the one Henry found by bumping his knee on it, in the river....... Now everytime my knee hits something in the river I reach back to find out what it is.....

post-1109-0-80392000-1329840231_thumb.jpg

Miocene/Eocene

Someone started a thread on 7-inch megalodon teeth last year, I think. The largest confirmed teeth have been around 7 1/4 inches. Black Hills has one from Peru in its museum. I think Mark Havenstein has another one about that size.

Vito Bertucci's 7 1/4" (and THE JAW): LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I did some asking around and research, and I think 7 1/8 - 7 1/4 still represent the biggest unrestored teeth. I wonder if the discovery channel person meant 7 1/8 or if they said 7 1/8th, and it didn't just sound a little like 7 7/8th. I could be wrong, but if a 7 7/8" tooth existed, it would be common knowledge on the web amoung shark tooth enthusiast let alone amoung the major dealers.

Taken from the 1st paragraph, Auspex's link.. suggests there might have been a larger tooth collected.

"Containing 182 fossil teeth, including four of the largest teeth ever discovered. Each of the four largest teeth measures over 7 inches, with the largest tooth measuring 7 5/8 inches". (My bold)

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.