Anyone Ever Find A 7 Inch Meg?

iamsharky

Taken from the 1st paragraph, Auspex's link.. suggests there might have been a larger tooth collected.

"Containing 182 fossil teeth, including four of the largest teeth ever discovered. Each of the four largest teeth measures over 7 inches, with the largest tooth measuring 7 5/8 inches". (My bold)

Putty and optimism. Definitely not the unrestored length.

Putty and optimism. Definitely not the unrestored length.

Why? It says nothing about restored teeth. If a 7 1/4 tooth can be found and verified, why not a 7 5/8?

Is that reconstructed jaw Vito's, or somebody elses, added to the article?

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

The 4 teeth were all restored, as were many in Vito's collection. I'm not saying that a tooth of that size couldn't be found, just not in that reconstruction.

That's it. I am just going to have to settle this by finding an 8" tooth myself! ;)

Or two!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm going to check out the Morgan River next weekend. Can you find anything on the banks of the SC coastal rivers? I read an article about a girl finding a perfect adult mastadon molar only yards from the riverside dock of the coastal home she was at during low tide.

Black Hills has one from Peru in its museum.

This is a cast of the Black HIlls' tooth, it is 7 1/8 but it has odd root extensions. It had been struck by machinery and was in pieces when found.

BlackHills_tooth_ling_small.jpg

This is a cast of the Black HIlls' tooth, it is 7 1/8 but it has odd root extensions. It had been struck by machinery and was in pieces when found.

BlackHills_tooth_ling_small.jpg

This looks very much stretched. I think "extensions" is the key word here. I realize it is a cast (replica) but I have never seen a megalodon tooth shaped like that.

That is a faithful reproduction of the original tooth. The question is how much of the root was found and how much "replaced"? You can see where the original was repaired in places particularly on the right side which was in fact, the more damaged side. Without that right side root extension, I think it would fall just short of 7 inches.

About 35 years ago, in Jacksonville, FL, one of my dad's coworkers daughters tripped on one while running on the beach after a storm. She looked back to see what she had tripped on and discovered the biggest meg we ever saw.

It was to the best of my recollection WAY bigger than the 5 1/2" - 6" we found at Buck Island.

Not sure if it was actually 7" long, but heck, how often do you literally stumble on such a specimen!

No idea where it is now though.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

About 35 years ago, in Jacksonville, FL, one of my dad's coworkers daughters tripped on one...

Fish much? :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!