New Tv Show - Casting

ajacobs

Hello all,

I'm the Director of Development of a major non-fiction/documentary television production company. We produce shows for networks such as Discovery Channel, Nat Geo, Travel and Animal Planet among numerous others.

We're currently developing a new show for a major cable network that some of you (but probably not all of you based on other threads i've seen!) might be interested in. Without divulging too many details, we are looking to assemble a small team of professional/semi-professional bone hunters/fossil hunter type guys. This team will be sent on a pretty adventurous expedition which may end up going over seas.

I'm sure there are people here who don't love documentary/reality television. This may not be for you. But for those of you who enjoy shows like Alaska Gold Rush, Bering Sea Gold, Mountain Men, Diamond Divers, Storage Wars etc - well then you'll probably love this!

We are looking for men and women who are BIG characters with BIG personalities with real experience in the world of bones and fossils. If that's you or someone you know - please email me at tvcasting1@gmail.com. For casting purposes, pictures and video always help!

If you have any questions - feel free to email me as well. Happy to discuss the project in general terms here.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

First question that is important to me.

Is the show centered on monetary value?

Second question is will part of the education be on care and handling /preservation?

Robert
Southeast, MO

Hi Raistlin,

Good questions. The show is not centered on monetary value per se. In the same way Bering Sea Gold isn't centered on Monetary value. It's more about the adventure, the hunt and process. If our team makes a profit in the end, that's an added benefit.

I know there's a good amount of people who don't like the "for profit" fossil hunters - but for this project to sell it needs to be able to excite the audience in the same way a treasure hunt would. Unfortunately it's a key ingredient to much of what makes it on TV. This is because the audience likes to feel that the people they're watching really have something at stake... their livelihood!

In terms of handling/preservation - yes that will be a key part of the process. That's why we're looking for people with some experience in the field. If we find a bone and break it while pulling it out - well that's no good for anyone!

As the subject of your project is an avocation our membership is passionate about, we are obviously concerned about it being cast in a 'less-than-noble' light (I think this is well illustrated by the comments posted in the other discussion). Speaking for myself, I hope that a marketable show can be done without making us look like maniacs (amateur access to fossil sites is being lost for many reasons, and fomenting a poor public image of us can only make things worse).

That said, if anything we say can help you and prevent negative connotations about fossil collectors, then we appreciate the opportunity for discussion.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sounds interesting. Do team members get paid? Are expenses paid, i.e. travel, lodging, food. etc.?

what fossils to you plan on digging? like trilobites and crinoids or megalodon teeth and such? and im 15 years old, does your show have an age requirement?

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

documentary/reality television :blink: I didn't realize these were the same thing ;) .

Seriously though, good luck with your project I hope it shows that amature fossil hunters do a lot for science.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Hello all,

I'm the Director of Development of a major non-fiction/documentary television production company. We produce shows for networks such as Discovery Channel, Nat Geo, Travel and Animal Planet among numerous others.

We're currently developing a new show for a major cable network that some of you (but probably not all of you based on other threads i've seen!) might be interested in. Without divulging too many details, we are looking to assemble a small team of professional/semi-professional bone hunters/fossil hunter type guys. This team will be sent on a pretty adventurous expedition which may end up going over seas.

I'm sure there are people here who don't love documentary/reality television. This may not be for you. But for those of you who enjoy shows like Alaska Gold Rush, Bering Sea Gold, Mountain Men, Diamond Divers, Storage Wars etc - well then you'll probably love this!

We are looking for men and women who are BIG characters with BIG personalities with real experience in the world of bones and fossils. If that's you or someone you know - please email me at tvcasting1@gmail.com. For casting purposes, pictures and video always help!

If you have any questions - feel free to email me as well. Happy to discuss the project in general terms here.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

I have nothing really BIG :mellow:

I sent you info on some of my good friends who I dug with for a number of years. I did digs for over 20 years myself but am sorta out of doing digs now, narrowing my focus to one of my favorite inverts the trilobites. I have done alot of digs but not sure I have time to help you maybe my friends will but I will be glad to help you if I can?

russ

What an interesting post I would love to see this programme go into production if it is done the right way.

Public education would need to play a big part in it.

I am available if you want to fly 10,000 miles to see a guy dig for leaves :D

I am still learning a lot. So I am pretty much the new Guy. I would love to get more time and be able to share my love of fossils.

Too bad I need more experience.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I am on the fence. I feel that people such as the forum members are already "into" fossiling for various reasons, whether it is the adventure of the hunt, the thrill of the find, the science to be studied, the beauty of the fossils themselves or the comraderie of common interests. For me, it is ALL of these things. I personally do not need to be "recruited". I would much rather watch an educational and science oriented program like following a university paleo department on an actual expedition/dig. It is obviously not these people that a show like this is looking to "recruit". We are already here. I think a show with big personalities, the premise that you can make money at this, the commercialization of fossiling and the idea that every trip is an "excellent adventure" will be attracting and encouraging individuals that frankly, I wouldn't want to hunt with and fossiling is better off without. Most of my hunts, and I speak only for myself, are very quiet, serene, peaceful and personal adventures. Please don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy hunting with friends, family and forum members but the truth of it is, most hunts are solitary, and for the observer or veiwer in this case, unexciting and boring and thats the way I like it. After writing this post I am no longer on the fence, I have convinced myself that if put to a vote as to whether or not to air a program such as the one proposed, my vote would be a resounding 'No'. Just my humble opinion.

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

I am on the fence. I feel that people such as the forum members are already "into" fossiling for various reasons, whether it is the adventure of the hunt, the thrill of the find, the science to be studied, the beauty of the fossils themselves or the comraderie of common interests. For me, it is ALL of these things. I personally do not need to be "recruited". I would much rather watch an educational and science oriented program like following a university paleo department on an actual expedition/dig. It is obviously not these people that a show like this is looking to "recruit". We are already here. I think a show with big personalities, the premise that you can make money at this, the commercialization of fossiling and the idea that every trip is an "excellent adventure" will be attracting and encouraging individuals that frankly, I wouldn't want to hunt with and fossiling is better off without. Most of my hunts, and I speak only for myself, are very quiet, serene, peaceful and personal adventures. Please don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy hunting with friends, family and forum members but the truth of it is, most hunts are solitary, and for the observer or veiwer in this case, unexciting and boring and thats the way I like it. After writing this post I am no longer on the fence, I have convinced myself that if put to a vote as to whether or not to air a program such as the one proposed, my vote would be a resounding 'No'. Just my humble opinion.

Hi Kehbe that's totally okay. We know that we can't please everyone! Our goal is to make a show that entertains as well as educates.

what fossils to you plan on digging? like trilobites and crinoids or megalodon teeth and such? and im 15 years old, does your show have an age requirement?

I'm sorry. 15 is probably too young unless you're working with your father. As for what we plan on digging... we have an idea, but that's part of what makes our idea unique. So we're keeping that under wraps for right now.

Sounds interesting. Do team members get paid? Are expenses paid, i.e. travel, lodging, food. etc.?

Yes team members recieve a per episode fee. Expenses are paid, travel, lodging and food etc. It's a pretty good deal actually!

If this is done right it could be very good, I do like Gold Rush which to me is more about the men and what they go through in their quest for gold . I watch hoping they will be successful for themselves and their families more than that I want to see them strike it rich. On the opposite side of the spectrum is American Diggers which is obviously faked and which is everything I hate about "reality" TV, please do not go in that direction.Part of my joy in checking the fossil forum every day is to hear about the adventures other members are having and seeing what theyve found so I think watching their adventures on tv could be entertaining. Ive been collecting fossils for 13 years but have only really been studying the science aspect of it for a little over a year otherwise I think I would jump at the chance to hunt fossils in places I wouldnt normally get to go.

If this is done right it could be very good, I do like Gold Rush which to me is more about the men and what they go through in their quest for gold . I watch hoping they will be successful for themselves and their families more than that I want to see them strike it rich. On the opposite side of the spectrum is American Diggers which is obviously faked and which is everything I hate about "reality" TV, please do not go in that direction.Part of my joy in checking the fossil forum every day is to hear about the adventures other members are having and seeing what theyve found so I think watching their adventures on tv could be entertaining. Ive been collecting fossils for 13 years but have only really been studying the science aspect of it for a little over a year otherwise I think I would jump at the chance to hunt fossils in places I wouldnt normally get to go.

I agree. We're much more interested in making a show in the vein of Alaska Gold Rush than American Diggers.

The idea of this makes me (and obviousy most people here) nervouse as h**l. There are lots of whacko fossil-show ideas floating around. Almost all of them are simply rediculous and cast us in a bad light.

From an ethical and political standpoint, it is my personal opinion that this is treading on very thin ice. If you get it right, you'll have a regular viewer right here. Get it wrong and I can see fossil poaching and destruction becoming a much larger problem than it already is, and it's not good as it is. I agree fossil hunting is peaceful, quiet, and relaxing. We don't need uneducated people out there tearing into hills they have no permission being on, all for the sake of trying to make a buck. It's not that simple. Most people watching won't know that. We go through lots of research and time trying to find our hunting spots, then we are at the land-owner's mercy, hoping they'll let us on their property.

Another concern is: what if landowners see this and start shutting their land down? Not good. AT ALL.

Another problem that many are extremely sensitive about is the "ameteur vs professional" argument. While most of us here are pretty respectful of eachother, regardless of background, it has already been a relatively big discussion. Though the pros are the backbone of the science, I feel ameteurs are needed to pick up what the pros can't get to in time. If this show portrays the ameteurs badly, at all, that can hurt us, and the industry. Remember, fossil trade is a livelyhood for many people. That's how they put food on the table.

This is my opinion, though I am sure there are countless others who'd agree with me 100%.

This is not something we take lightly, and I sure hope you've got this all figured out. If you do, I can't wait to see the final product.

Nick

Edited by 32fordboy

The idea of this makes me (and obviousy most people here) nervouse as h**l. There are lots of whacko fossil-show ideas floating around. Almost all of them are simply rediculous and cast us in a bad light.

From an ethical and political standpoint, it is my personal opinion that this is treading on very thing ice. If you get it right, you'll have a regular viewer right here. Get it wrong and I can see fossil poaching and destruction becoming a much larger problem than it already is, and it's not good as it is. I agree fossil hunting is peaceful, quiete, and relaxing. We don't need uneducated people out there tearing into hills they have no permission being on, all for the sake of trying to make a buck. It's not that simple. Most people watching won't know that. We go through lots of research and time trying to find our hunting spots, then we are at the land-owner's mercy, hoping they'll let us on their property.

Another concern is: what if landowners see this and start shutting their land down? Not good. AT ALL.

Another problem that many are extremely sensitive about is the "ameteur vs professional" argument. While most of us here are pretty respectful of eachother, regardless of background, it has already been a relatively big discussion. Though the pros are the backbone of the science, I feel ameteurs are needed to pick up what the pros can't get to in time. If this show portrays the ameteurs badly, at all, that can hurt us, and the industry. Remember, fossil trade is a livelyhood for many people. That's how they put food on the table.

This is my opinion, though I am sure there are countless others who'd agree with me 100%.

This is not something we take lightly, and I sure hope you've got this all figured out. If you do, I can't wait to see the final product.

Nick

:fistbump::goodjob:

From an ethical and political standpoint, it is my personal opinion that this is treading on very thing ice. If you get it right, you'll have a regular viewer right here. Get it wrong and I can see fossil poaching and destruction becoming a much larger problem than it already is, and it's not good as it is. I agree fossil hunting is peaceful, quiete, and relaxing. We don't need uneducated people out there tearing into hills they have no permission being on, all for the sake of trying to make a buck. It's not that simple. Most people watching won't know that. We go through lots of research and time trying to find our hunting spots, then we are at the land-owner's mercy, hoping they'll let us on their property.

Nick

Nick,

I'm one who agrees... 100%!

Well said.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I too am concerned such a program just mentioning "value" continues the stereotype that "fossil hunters" like myself (and most on this board) are making money off what we collect. Trust me, my gas bill for every fossil hunt trip is much more that the "value" of the fossils I find. We don't need more ranchers and construction crews thinking what they allow us to pick up has commercial value. Big stuff like dinosaur skeletons DO have great value but not common fossils like oysters, urchins, small shark teeth.

Yes there is a divide between the profit crowd and serious paleo-minded crowd and any program should make that divide very clear. There is little overlap between the crowd you see at Fossilmania for example and the crowd that attends the Dallas Paleo Society. Now I HAVE purchased a fossil but it was only to obtain a good quality example of a hard to find local fossil.

When I mention the new pterosaur I found in 2006 literally every person I have told (20+ people) has said quote "so how much you get for it?" I have to reply that it was donated to a University to contribute to the scientific record, I made no money.

Edited by LanceH

Nick is right. I'm lucky I don't have a big personality so I won't be tempted to audition :P But I would watch to see some TFF folks get to go dig a site that maybe is quite unique. Maybe you could take my 11 and 9 year olds they have quite big personalities. I would rather see some of the members here get to go, they would probably represent our community in a better light than some others...