Self Collected

PRK

Well---obviously my last post was a lead balloon. How about this---I am an avid collector of "self" collected fossils. Certainly , as they say everything has its price, but I think this forum(incl me) would like to see the fine fossils our members have personally collected. If I ever figger out how to post pics I've got some beauties to share

I agree. What I like to see most on this forum is fossils self found. Purchased ones only say that you have the money to buy them. I am not saying I don't enjoy seeing purchased fossils; they are good as they are good gap fillers for fossils you can't collect, or rarer specimens that you most likely won't find in your lifetime. Buying fossils like such does not show you are experienced or a good collector/preparer, but you can afford the specimens. I admit, when I first joined the forum, about 90% of my collection was bought. Since then, now my collection is about 90% self found and or prepared by me.

Purchases fossils don't have a story behind them, and I am sure you agree with me to say finding a fossil yourself, being the first person in millions of years to see a fossil come to light is a much nicer experience that going out to the local rock shop.

I always have to smile a bit when people say they "found" something on eBay. It's a rare occasion when I purchase a fossil, though I have done so when confronted with an affordable specimen of something I want/need as a refence specimen. But that's just a personal preference because it's more fun, to me, to find something than it is to buy it. [Well that, and my wife would have something to say about matters if I started spending our retirement account on fossils.] Actually, when you factor in gas and other expenses for collecting trips, buying on eBay may be the less expensive route. On the other hand, some people don't live where they have an opportunity to collect, or they are too busy. I recall that Sam Gon, who runs the excellent "Guide to the Orders of Trilobites" web site, lives in Hawaii, where trilobites are shall we say impossible to find locally. However one gets their fossil fix, it's all good.

Don

Yep I am not opposed to buying fossils. I bought one once myself. Got it and found out it was about a third filler. I like to go look for them for several reasons and science isn't really one of them. I might or might not even classify a find other than the most basic what is that but I love to find them. What others find in areas where there are good fossils are always fun to see and I enjoy the stories that go along with them.

I've never bought a fossil but I have a couple given to me over the years. A fish from Wyoming, a trilobite from Morocco and an ammonite slab from same. I can see myself in the near future trade/buy from other members trilobites or crinoids for me to prep. I see nothing wrong in buying, I agree finding these treasures or at least prepping them is very satisfying.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

About 98 % of my collection is self found.

These are a few of my favorites : ENJOY!

Eldredgeops rana - Devonian NY.

post-2806-0-04705800-1349920616_thumb.jp

Redfieldius gracilis - Early Jurassic CT.

post-2806-0-69634700-1349920667_thumb.jp

Semionotus sp Early Jurassic CT.

post-2806-0-79736100-1349921058_thumb.jp

Otozamites brevifolis - Early Jurassic CT.

post-2806-0-59481700-1349921192_thumb.jp

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

SWEET !! I generally dont collect fossils beyond tertiary, butsee why you like the differential weathering, on the fish, really cool. Also, is the white color on the trilo a weathered surface?

All the fossils in my collection are found by me. I have probably given more away than I keep.

Cant wait to see the pics.

CHEERS

SWEET !! I generally dont collect fossils beyond tertiary, butsee why you like the differential weathering, on the fish, really cool. Also, is the white color on the trilo a weathered surface?

The white on the trilobite is some type of mineralization. I 've done a bit of research, but haven't found out the geologic how's or whys of it.

I know that this is a common occurence at the location this was found. Will update you if I can find anymore info on this.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I always have to smile a bit when people say they "found" something on eBay.

Yeah, kind of like "We won the Superbowl." :)

Context is critical.

HA HA right?,or your shown a fossil and say WHERE is it from? They reply " the rock shop across town, or "the flea market last weekend

Edited by PRK

Can't say I haven't bought a fossil. I've purchased several for my kids as gifts since

they've found about half or better of our 'great' stuff :faint::D

I think a good many of our members sell some of their 'doubles'

or trade fossils to have a varied collection. Some of our most knowledgeable posters

more than likely earn a living selling fossils.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Im not opposed to buying fossils, its just that its so much more fun and rewarding to get out in the field and find them myself :)

I think EVERYONE would like to collect their own specimens if you asked them but its not always possible for a number of reasons...like...

the local geology doesnt contain the type of fossils that interest you...

the distance to the nearest exposures may be to great... travel costs may be an issue...

access to these exposures may not always be possible...sometimes you have to be ' in the know ' to get in these places...daunting when you start out...

you havent got the skills or tools to prepare what you find to the quality you want to collect...

you could be limited to short excursions collecting whilst on holiday...

So purchasing fossils for the collection when you are able to afford them may be the only opportunity that some people would have to get involved in collecting fossils... rare specimens are found so infrequently that as a ' collector ' you would want buy them if one came up... most of my collection is self found but over the years I traded for, been given and bought fossils when I had to...experience will guide you what to do at the end of the day...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I will openly admit to buying fossils. I do though buy stuff I cannot find myself. If I can find it I will not buy it.

For instance I have bought a few Dino teeth that come from hell creek and morocco. I just cannot get to these places due to funds, family, work and life in general.

I have even bought amber and a few trilos. Again this goes back to being able to obtain it myself. I would love to have the funds and time to travel in search of the perfect fossils but I cannot. I am limited to within driving distance and back home that night sort of thing.

That said I have found some pretty cool (at least to me) fossils. I will post a few if I can when I get home tonight.

Robert
Southeast, MO

although i've only bought a handful of fossils in my adult life, i bought a few from SD and Germany as a kid. i've recently visited those sites and found my own...kind of a fun closed loop. i still value and display my kiddie collection from 30+ years ago. i'm a staunch self finder these days, but if you are a buyer, i cant see how that truly affects anyone else, so have at it, your way, for your own reasons, as long as its legal and ethical, its your gig man...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Since I specialize in bird fossils, purchase is my only real option.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Daryl,

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen so many pictures on one post! Thanks for letting us see all of those great finds. I always enjoy your images but this seems an appropriate time to comment on what a talented photographer you are, and that I am always impressed by your presentation. Again, thanks for posting.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Hi Daryl,

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen so many pictures on one post! Thanks for letting us see all of those great finds. I always enjoy your images but this seems an appropriate time to comment on what a talented photographer you are, and that I am always impressed by your presentation. Again, thanks for posting.

I agree, I was foaming at the mouth while looking. My wife calls that look, 'the thousand meter stare'. :drool:

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Some personal finds over the last several years ....

Daryl.

simply put...WOW!!! lots of beautiful specimens, I especially like the bird bone, thanks fpr sharing :)

Buying fossils is generally something that is done when you first start fossil hunting. Once you've been doing it for a while, the bought fossils usually end up in the garage do to display space limitations.

I do have a couple of "gifted" fossils on display in my collection, though. Someday I hope to replace them with the "Found" variety, but they are so nice, and collected by a good friend, that I have them on display.

I'm a total field and prep guy. My love of fossils stems from the field work and prep work. My love for Wyoming is the variety and quality of fossils around here. So, my collection is 99+% self-collected. I have a few that I have bought... one of those supposed coprolites form WA, and Pierre Shale urchin, a opalized belemnite from Lightning Ridge and a few others.

Daryl.. great shark teeth, but the blue m&m for scale is classic.

Daryl, I :wub: your pics ! They are very well made with information above! Beautiful collection !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I have not purchased any fossils. I only have one that I traded for. I am also very lucky to be living in an area where within and hour or two drive I can find dinosaur stuff, plant stuff and sea stuff.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com