Snake Scales?

justforfun

Thanks guys, I'll skip the recip saw. The actual size right now is about 18-20" H x 12" W x12" D and tapered at the bottom. The Ammonite is on the top as seen in the pics and is about 4" dia.

I would love to cut an 8" square about 1.5" thick around it. The sandstone is pretty soft, I can break a chip between my finger with a fair amount of force.

I have a concrete blade for my cir saw, I think I'll cut as deep as I can all around and use a chisle to break it out like NAL suggested. Sound safe?

Thanks Fly, I googled your suggestion and found it was close like you said to Manticoceras sinuosum but not a match. The pattern is much closer to Sporadoceras muensteri. What do you think?

...I would love to cut an 8" square about 1.5" thick around it. The sandstone is pretty soft, I can break a chip between my finger with a fair amount of force.

I have a concrete blade for my cir saw, I think I'll cut as deep as I can all around and use a chisle to break it out like NAL suggested. Sound safe?

I have two thoughts:

Since the matrix is borderline friable, it might be wise to stabilize it with a penetrant before you start cutting and banging. It might be a good idea to double the intended thickness, too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What would I stabilize it with? Is there a product made for this?

Several. One widely used brand is Paleobond; there are several formulas to choose, depending on your needs.

Here's a link to their site: http://www.paleobond.com/

For specific advice, I'd refer you to one of the (several) professional/experienced Forum members (who will chime right in as soon as they read this post). I'm not experienced enough to trust that beautiful ammonite with...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Agree with everything Auspex has said, especialy about the experts. Some of these guys do this all the time. I don't. Can't find a decent image of the specimen you mentioned, got a link? I'd consider reducing the matrix as much as you can then having a pro repair/restore the piece.

The chiseling doesn't really sound OK to me, and I'll tell you why. When you bang on that stone anywhere, it will create vibration, and I wouldn't be surprised if the fossil pops loose from the matrix, and not necessarily in one piece. If you do decide to chisel on the block, I would try to perhaps cover the fossil with a folded towel or something and have someone push down on it lightly trying to dampen any vibration transfer. As far as stabilizing it goes, the products people use, and all of them would probably work to some extent on sandstone, would be "plastic" polymers, epoxies, or cyanoacrylate glues. The resins are usually polyvinyl acetate or other polymer beads dissolved in a solvent like acetone. The epoxies are usually very clear, very stable variants made just for paleo work or lapidary work. And cyanoacrylate glue is commonly known as super glue.

Generally speaking, I don't like putting stuff on fossils, in large part because I know how they look now, and I'm not positive how they'll look after I've pranked with them. Natural is good. But then again, if the thing's probably going to just fall apart, delaminate, oxidize or whatever anyway, I might as well try to stabilize it if I'm going to try to keep it. If you want to do that kind of stuff, try to read up on the product you're using and see if you can find how well it stands the test of time. If it's going to yellow, darken, crack, etc. in a few years, then it would pay to know that. It' s also good to be reasonably sure you don't have a "rare" fossil first. On gee whiz, one-of-a-kind things, reversability of treatments is a concern, so that when something better comes along a hundred years from now, the fossil can be redone. I laugh at myself when I say stuff like that. Good luck.

Guest solius symbiosus

The sandstones of Eastern Ky, are very well indurated. As such, it probably wouldn't need any type of stabilization.

For a cheap glue I would use Duco Cement (sold at walmart, home depot, etc.) and dilute it with acetone (also sold at walmart in the fingernail-polish-remover section). After you get it out, you can use more acetone to wash the "glue" off, if you don't like the way it looks.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold