...what Could These Be?

Rockin' Ric

Hello Ya'll, I found these...I think are concretions in a shale shard pile that has produced many resting trace fossils. Could they contain the organisms that made the resting traces? If so, what is the best way to prep these if one doesn't have the proper tools to do it? Pictured are what the top and bottom of these objects look like and are approximately 1-1/2" thick.

post-5318-0-16115300-1351544609_thumb.jpg

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

You could try the freeze/thaw method. Put the concretion in a shallow plastic pan, cover it with water, and stick it in the freezer; repeat until it pops (usually along the plane of the fossil, if any), or until you get tired of doing it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It sure looks like a trace fossil to me ...

More specifically Conostichus ... formerly thought to be a jellyfish resting trace

Other fossils and discussion on a previous post ... CLICK HERE

I posted images of one collected in Kansas (Reply #11)

:)

Conostichus: a fossil with a confusing history

Conostichus was formerly thought to be a jellyfish resting trace. It is now regarded as a burrow infilling or feeding structure of an unidentified organism. These fossils were first described by Lesquereux in 1876 as a marine algae and then by later authors as roots, stems, sponges or worms. C.C. Branson wrote a number of articles circa 1956/1962 in which he discusses numerous separate species. In a 1959 article he states "It is possible to state at this time that the genus Conostichus has but one species, C. ornatus; that some of the marine specimens may be medusoids; that some of the types are probably marine worms. Close examination of specimens in place in the rock and of the associated biota is necessary to a real understanding of these four similar types of fossil." In later articles he describes a number of new species. Joeckel, 2008 states "A trace-fossil hypothesis for the origin of the structures remains plausible---possible feeding structures---albeit problematic".

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

It sure looks like a trace fossil to me ...

More specifically Conostichus ... formerly thought to be a jellyfish resting trace

Other fossils and discussion on a previous post ... CLICK HERE

I posted images of one collected in Kansas (Reply #11)

:)

Conostichus: a fossil with a confusing history

Conostichus was formerly thought to be a jellyfish resting trace. It is now regarded as a burrow infilling or feeding structure of an unidentified organism. These fossils were first described by Lesquereux in 1876 as a marine algae and then by later authors as roots, stems, sponges or worms. C.C. Branson wrote a number of articles circa 1956/1962 in which he discusses numerous separate species. In a 1959 article he states "It is possible to state at this time that the genus Conostichus has but one species, C. ornatus; that some of the marine specimens may be medusoids; that some of the types are probably marine worms. Close examination of specimens in place in the rock and of the associated biota is necessary to a real understanding of these four similar types of fossil." In later articles he describes a number of new species. Joeckel, 2008 states "A trace-fossil hypothesis for the origin of the structures remains plausible---possible feeding structures---albeit problematic".

Thanks Indy for the thread review! I learn something new from all you guys! Also thanks Chaz for the suggestion on prep!

Rockin' Ric ...

You have the specimens in hand

and looked at the images and read the discussion on the other post.

Do you believe your specimens to be Conostichus ?

Hello Indy, they definitely look like Conostichus! Planning on shooting some more profile pics of these things. Top and bottom shots don't do it justice and neither describing it in inches. The pictures from the link you posted look very similar to what I have. Thanks for posting that link!

I want to add that these specimens come from the Pottsville Formation / Carboniferous Period. Upper / Lower not sure? I always forget to post the geologic formations and time period when I post finds, sorry bout that guys!