Calvert Cliffs - Weeks After The Hurricane

cowsharks

It's been about 3 weeks now since Hurricane Sandy blew up the North East coastline. I went down to one of my favorite beach areas a few days after the initial storm only to find high water and no fossils. Went back a few days later after the tide had receded a bit and found a few small teeth, but nothing else. Seems like the storm pushed more sand up on the beach than it took off, and because it ate up some piles of dirt, that sand is now deposited on the beach as well. Bottom line is that in order to find much of anything I've had to resort to my usual sifting routine. Over the last two trips I have sifted well over 100+ 5-gallon bucket fulls of material. One bucket per screen sometimes yields a tiny tooth or two, some buckets have no teeth. Then, to my sheer delight, a decent Meg showed up, about 3.5" and it is in pristine condition. Below are some pics of the nicer finds. I'm not 100% certain, but I think one of the teeth is a Seal canine (?) with a slight bit of root tip missing. Other than that, most of the teeth are the usual fare of hemi's, mako's, tigers, sandtigers, hammerheads, cowsharks, and even one angel shark tooth.

Enjoy!

Daryl.

post-2077-0-36231700-1353622722_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-81225200-1353622759_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-50918100-1353622775_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the Meg and seal tooth! At least everything seems to be in great shape.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

that meg!!! dang!!!!

Also the color on those teeth are killer! looks like aurora colors!

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

im not exactly sure when you found that meg but if you found it in november you could proberly win the FOTM contest!

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

The meg is a killer, couldn't get any better than that. Your other teeth could garnish some bragging rights as well, nice finds. One day the sand will wash out and uncover more treasures. Thanks for the post----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Very. Nice. Meg.

Must have been fresh from the clay; I love when that happens!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice meg Daryl!! and yes that is a seal tooth, awesome. Looks just like the one I have from GMR. Congratulations.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Daryl, congrats, some excellent finds. Love the mammal teeth. And the meg and makos are fantastic. How big is that larger mako. Comparing to the meg it has to be pretty beefy!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Very. Nice. Meg.

Must have been fresh from the clay; I love when that happens!

Yep. Came from a pile being washed out by the high tide. All of the material would have been washed away by the next high tide for sure so I hurry up and shoveled it into buckets and screened it. Had to take my glasses off because the waves were crashing into my box screen splashing up in my face every 2 seconds. But persistence pays off - at least that's what I keep telling my sore aching muscles the enxt day when I have to take a few Ibuprofen :)

Daryl.

Daryl, congrats, some excellent finds. Love the mammal teeth. And the meg and makos are fantastic. How big is that larger mako. Comparing to the meg it has to be pretty beefy!

Thanks Mike. The smaller meg in the pic with the Mako's is only 2" or so, so the Mako to the right of it is about 1.5" which is a nice size for the Bay. The area that I hunt is older than the areas to the south, so all of the teeth tend to be smaller. Just a few miles to the south the Megs and Mako's tend to be a bit bigger. The trade off where I hunt is in quality and condition. The teeth might not get as big, but when I do find the right material, the condition of them can be quite nice!

Daryl.

Very nice meg Daryl!! and yes that is a seal tooth, awesome. Looks just like the one I have from GMR. Congratulations.

Thanks Pete. That's actually a very very rare find. In almost 17 yrs of collecting at Calvert Cliffs, this is either my first and only, or possibly 2nd - I'll have to check my collection to see if I have any others. I only have two seal molars, and to be honest, since the seal canines from Lee Creek tend to be so large, I thought that my seal canine from Clavert CLiffs was too small and was therefore maybe only a larger dolphin tooth of some kind. There's so little info on seals, dolphins, porpoises, and whales - not nearly as much as with shark species and all the tooth studies that go along with it. I have so many cool dolphin/porpoise/whale teeth from Calvert cliffs, but no clear ID's on much of it.

Daryl.

The meg is a killer, couldn't get any better than that. Your other teeth could garnish some bragging rights as well, nice finds. One day the sand will wash out and uncover more treasures. Thanks for the post----Tom

Thanks Tom. Yep, I'm always happy with even the more common species of shark teeth, especially when they come out as crisp and shiny as these. I especially love the curved, twisted little side cusps on the larger sandtiger teeth. It's so neat to be able to go collecting for a few hours and find so many different species of shark teeth, not to mention the seal/dolphin teeth as well.

Daryl.

Woo Hoo Daryl, that seal tooth an meg are flippin awesome. Congrats! I know how hard you hit it so for you to get a nice payoff is certainly deserved. Nothing like that has shown up at my spot yet as we are still sorting out the beach and probably will be for another month plus but I'd be stoked to find anything close to either of those finds. Again.... great stuff. Hit me up if you get bored this season and want to hit the mystery spot we discussed.

Woo Hoo Daryl, that seal tooth an meg are flippin awesome. Congrats! I know how hard you hit it so for you to get a nice payoff is certainly deserved. Nothing like that has shown up at my spot yet as we are still sorting out the beach and probably will be for another month plus but I'd be stoked to find anything close to either of those finds. Again.... great stuff. Hit me up if you get bored this season and want to hit the mystery spot we discussed.

Thanks Jason. I'll be ready to hit other spots after this semester is over.

Daryl.

nice teeth, but hey, you didn't even mention the bird bone in the second photo... now that would have made my day. Do you get many there at Calvert Cliffs?

nice teeth, but hey, you didn't even mention the bird bone in the second photo... now that would have made my day. Do you get many there at Calvert Cliffs?

JPC, ya, I forgot to ask Auspex if he knew what type of bird bone this was. I'll post it in the ID area.

I actually do find a fair number of pieces of bird bones each year, at least 3 or 4, maybe even more. Most often is is just a 1" or so long piece, with neither end attached, so what I'm left with is this small piece of bone that looks like a hollow tube about 1/8" in diameter. Occasionally the piece of bone will have one end still attacehd as in the case of this specimen.

Daryl.

Thanks Pete. That's actually a very very rare find. In almost 17 yrs of collecting at Calvert Cliffs, this is either my first and only, or possibly 2nd - I'll have to check my collection to see if I have any others. I only have two seal molars, and to be honest, since the seal canines from Lee Creek tend to be so large, I thought that my seal canine from Clavert CLiffs was too small and was therefore maybe only a larger dolphin tooth of some kind. There's so little info on seals, dolphins, porpoises, and whales - not nearly as much as with shark species and all the tooth studies that go along with it. I have so many cool dolphin/porpoise/whale teeth from Calvert cliffs, but no clear ID's on much of it.

Daryl.

Yes Daryl, definitely a rare find. The canine I have from GMR is small also (36mm) like yours, not at all like the ones from Lee Creek. I personally have not heard or seen another that has came from there, but I am sure someone has found one. Again, congrats. I need to take a trip up there to the Cliffs one day. Never been there.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022